addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Just noticed after proceding through the game after hell breaks loose that tons of artifacting occured. Going to go back to the 4.9b drivers and report back. Anyone encountered this?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I had something similar towards the end of doom3. My game crashed at one point and when I rebooted everything was messed, like windows colors fell back to 16 and driver problems. It was a major crash. Re installing the drivers made windows back to normal but games had huge artifacts and for sometime I though something burnt up on the card. But then a clean install of the drivers helped. And no problem since. This aint logical but my comp is OK now. Must be possessed.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Exactly what I got. I even got crashes back to the desktop and colors messed up.

I did roll back to cat 4.9b and nothing so far came up. Did you reinstall 4.9 final or put back the 4.9 beta?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
At that time I was using the 4.9b. And as far as I remeber I reinstalled them back. But like kill your drivers first. Remove every trace of it. then put back 4.9 or 4.9b - dont think its gonna make any diff bcos my crash was on a 4.9b.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I did use driver cleaner and reverted back to 4.9b. Maybe since they were beta drivers that just doing upgrade may have made some conflicting scripts. I will do another complete uninstall and reinstall to cat 4.9 final and try again but busy right now making some mod scripts for Doom 3 right now.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I have the same prob as soon as i use CCC...

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you realy are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I had that prob when CCC wasnt out. I forgot to mention an illogical step I did - take the card physically out and put it back in.

Is your card overclocked and are you using Fastwrites?

No issues here, after about 10hrs of D3 in the past 2.5 days.

Perhaps it's dependant on your point in the game.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I was using Fastwrites when my card did that stuff, but it wasnt overclocked. It still uses fastwrites and works fine now. I have ample of RAM, and fastwrites are stable for me. Is it necessary to have it on ? any perf improvement ? I forgot but u posted abt this a while back.

Fastwrites offer minimal performance gains. It can be measured, but not usually noticeable. However it can also be a major culprit in stability issues, and by default it is on. I noticed If you upgrade the new ControlCenter it will keep your previous settings, whereas previous generations required me to go in and change it each time I updated.

For me fastwrites was stable with my rig up until a certain Catalyst version (3.6 or 3.7 IIRC [it's in the original Catalyst review]), I found that updating the MOBO BIOS made it stable again for me, but I decided, why bother with it, updating the BIOS causes too many 'parity' issues while reviewing, so I leave it off.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Why as a matter of fact I do have fastwrite and the card is overclocked like a mofo but for me that is really irrelevant since cat 4.9b works fine and temps are withing norms. I am very much aware of stability of fastwrite on the recent cat drivers but have been successfull at it with cat 4.4 and did not upgrade till cat 4.9b which I can still do fastwrite. The only plight I have is with Doom 3 which the Cats are being asked to feed a butt-load of info that ATI has yet to fix properly.

We are hear it all the time of the rumors that ATI's resolvement to the performance problem is at the price of quality and they have been denying it. So far that is what I have seen from cat 4.9 final. I did get a boost of performance but the quality was drasticly detrimented, just Doom 3. Of course my findings are preliminary right now and have done a clean install of cat 4.9 final yet but betting that it will change nothing.

as a matter of fact I do have fastwrite and the card is overclocked like a mofo but for me that is really irrelevant since cat 4.9b works fine and temps are withing norms.
Well 4.9b is also irrelevant as this is not 4.9b, but if you don't want to troubleshoot it with others help, then I'm sure it'll magically fix itself on it's own.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
yeah, as u said u have had probs with fastwrites on diff cats, i think its best if he also tries to disable it and put 4.9

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
No no no no, Im not refusing but using simple logic. One driver works while the other does not with current config. Even if dropping fastwrite and clock resolves it, Im not going to like that outcome.

Anyways like I said eariler Im yet to do a clean install of 4.9 final and will report back once I do that. Too busy right now making Doom 3 mods and watching IVAN right now.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
As he said "For me fastwrites was stable with my rig up until a certain Catalyst version (3.6 or 3.7 IIRC [it's in the original Catalyst review]), I found that updating the MOBO BIOS made it stable again for me, but I decided, why bother with it, updating the BIOS causes too many 'parity' issues while reviewing, so I leave it off."

so it might be for u, that uptil 4.9b it worked well.

cleeve

Illustrious
ON a side note, are any of you guys using overclocking software that's not in the display properties that works well with the Cat Control Center? And if so, what are you using?

I love radclocker but I can't use it with the catalyst control center, dammit.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well I did go 4.4 to 4.9b for a similiar reason but I have yet to do a clean install of 4.9 .

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
well, though i have not overclocked and dont plan to for now. But my ATI tool works along with CCC.

Rage3Dtweak works fine with CCC. I always run D3 at 456/333 (just thought the number was a good compromise, can run 500/350, but why reduce the life of the card before I'm sure of a replacement? Hate to need a card in 2-4 months just about before 4 months before the R5xx comes out or something, or even the X700/GF6600GT hit stores here).

I think AtiTrayTool works ok (seen updates but haven't used in a while).

Anywhoo, I know that Rage3D works fine with CCC.

And that's the rub. You may find that in order to fix something else ATI has changed something that now F's up your OCs. This happened before with another update where alot of people who were OC'ing suddenly found that their temps were going wacky, and it was because they had changed how the cards handled certain functions. I think it was 3.10 IIRC.

Anywhoo, I haven't heard/read anything pervasive yet, but really it's likely going to be an issue of trouble-shooting. And perhaps your best solution will be to stick with an older set of drivers to get the OC boost/benifit. ATI likely will just give the industry standard... we don't support people running their cards outside of the spec, with the exception of Overdrive... yada, yada, yada.

The first step is to always see what happens at stock, then find out where the issues are coming from. OC back up and you may find the stable levels have changed.

And until you can fidle and rule things out it's hard to trouble shoot from a distance.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well thats to be expected for sometime they will intensify the formulae to fill in the gaps or not but that is where my wide variety of cooling solutions come in (air to peilter). The more data pushed in, the more heat naturally. In my case the temps were the same just damned glitchy. Im not 100% certain since Im yet to do a clean install of cat 4.9 .

Dude believe me Id go back to cat 4.4 if it was compatible with Doom 3, shaders are all messed up. Damn good driver there.

TRENDING THREADS