XOX problem in Help and Support

Hi

I've got the problem where in Help and Support, there are lots of references
to "XOX" instead of Windows XP or other text, and links to other help pages
go to an error page.

I've googled this and found a number of suggestions. The only KB article is
from 2001 refers to software called Visual Studio 6.0, which I don't have.
There are various fixes suggested in places like these:

http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i62/Windows%20xp%20help%20contain%20xox.php

http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-106995.html

but none have worked for me.

Script debugging in IE6 is disabled; I've tried MJ's diagnostics; deleted
hh.dat; checked for two files in Windows/something, emptied Temp Internet
Files, I even found a registry edit somewhere that didn't solve it either.

Can anyone help? Considering it seems to be not uncommon, it is amazing the
only KB article found via a search on "XOX" is from 2001.

Is there any way I can easily reinstall part of Windows to fix this? My HP
Pavilion PC didn't come with a Windows CD but a recovery partition which
offers a non-destructive full system recovery, but I'm wary of using this as
I'm not at all sure of the implications, and considering that it's "only"
help and support that's affected I'm reluctant to go down this route.

Thanks for any suggestions.

More about problem support

    See Kelly's XP Korner , for section on Help and Support update.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Timbo" wrote
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got the problem where in Help and Support, there are lots of references
    > to "XOX" instead of Windows XP or other text, and links to other help pages
    > go to an error page.
    >
    > I've googled this and found a number of suggestions. The only KB article is
    > from 2001 refers to software called Visual Studio 6.0, which I don't have.
    > There are various fixes suggested in places like these:
    >
    > http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i62/Windows%20xp%20help%20contain%20xox.php
    >
    > http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-106995.html
    >
    > but none have worked for me.
    >
    > Script debugging in IE6 is disabled; I've tried MJ's diagnostics; deleted
    > hh.dat; checked for two files in Windows/something, emptied Temp Internet
    > Files, I even found a registry edit somewhere that didn't solve it either.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Considering it seems to be not uncommon, it is amazing the
    > only KB article found via a search on "XOX" is from 2001.
    >
    > Is there any way I can easily reinstall part of Windows to fix this? My HP
    > Pavilion PC didn't come with a Windows CD but a recovery partition which
    > offers a non-destructive full system recovery, but I'm wary of using this as
    > I'm not at all sure of the implications, and considering that it's "only"
    > help and support that's affected I'm reluctant to go down this route.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    Well, the most relevant-looking things here didn't work. (Which ones are the
    ones to try?) Where next?

    --

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    See Kelly's XP Korner , for section on Help and Support update.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----

    "Timbo" wrote
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got the problem where in Help and Support, there are lots of
    > references
    > to "XOX" instead of Windows XP or other text, and links to other help
    > pages
    > go to an error page.
    >
    > I've googled this and found a number of suggestions. The only KB article
    > is
    > from 2001 refers to software called Visual Studio 6.0, which I don't have.
    > There are various fixes suggested in places like these:
    >
    > http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i62/Windows%20xp%20help%20contain%20xox.php
    >
    > http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-106995.html
    >
    > but none have worked for me.
    >
    > Script debugging in IE6 is disabled; I've tried MJ's diagnostics; deleted
    > hh.dat; checked for two files in Windows/something, emptied Temp Internet
    > Files, I even found a registry edit somewhere that didn't solve it either.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Considering it seems to be not uncommon, it is amazing
    > the
    > only KB article found via a search on "XOX" is from 2001.
    >
    > Is there any way I can easily reinstall part of Windows to fix this? My HP
    > Pavilion PC didn't come with a Windows CD but a recovery partition which
    > offers a non-destructive full system recovery, but I'm wary of using this
    > as
    > I'm not at all sure of the implications, and considering that it's "only"
    > help and support that's affected I'm reluctant to go down this route.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    I'd System File Checker. Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup pops-up just close (exit) that window).
    From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
    CMD <enter>

    in the command prompt window type
    SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

    That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of Windows system files

    Hopefully that would solve your problem.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Timbo" wrote
    > Well, the most relevant-looking things here didn't work. (Which ones are the
    > ones to try?) Where next?

    Thanks - that hasn't worked either...

    --
    Change red to blue in email address.
    I'd System File Checker. Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup
    pops-up just close (exit) that window).
    From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
    CMD <enter>

    in the command prompt window type
    SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

    That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of
    Windows system files

    Hopefully that would solve your problem.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----

    "Timbo" wrote
    > Well, the most relevant-looking things here didn't work. (Which ones are
    > the
    > ones to try?) Where next?

Support Windows XP