Ways to 'Spice up' a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Racing stripe...maybe two.

Also, if you use a hunt-and-peck style of typing, scratch off all the letters on the keyboard and try your hand at typing again.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
+1 turbineTom

Performance wise? There are many ways to tweak and optimize any windows computer to make it run faster. Basic stuff like running CCleaner, Auslogic Disc Defrag, as well as getting some freeware like Auslogic Boostspeed. You can find all of these for free on download.com

And of course taking it apart and keeping it clean and dust free will keep temps down and extend the life. Depending on what laptop you have, you can upgrade the CPU or there are even ways to OC your current cpu if you have the skills necessary.

Always make sure their is airflow underneath and around that baby, heat is one of a notebooks worst enemies!

Hazle

Distinguished
get one without an OS, buy an OS, and make a fresh install sans all those pointless third-party manufacturer installed programs. time consuming; yes, but with 20 or so less processes running in the background for a boost in speed, so very much worth it. and i'm dealing with an AMD E-350 here.

turbineTom

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Buy.com has the Cooler Master Notepal U2 onsale for $19.99 plus a $10 MIR

I picked one up off amazon from $12.99 last week and they are very nice for the price. Sleek and really help with cooling, fits a 15" laptop perfectly

A SSD, hands down will transform the performance of your laptop.
Laptop drives are selected for their low power use, and are not great performers.

ram1009

Distinguished

On the back of the screen engrave the words "STOLEN FROM" and add your name. A good way to get to know the local police.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

agree with all that, and add on that they need to be designed to be shockproof and have mechanisms to save themselves from being shaken around.

Imagine picking up your desktop case and shaking it around couple hours each day and/or mild drops; that's basically what your laptop harddrive has to put up with.

SSDs don't need the compromises to deal with the above mechanical issues

I would think so. laptop hard drives are 2.5" standard drives as a rule.
Most laptops are designed to be able to be serviced which means replacing the drives.
It is not difficult to clone a laptop hard drive to a ssd. If the replacement ssd will not hold all your existing stuff, then you will need to do a windows reinstall on the ssd and copy over what you need.

Some google searches with your particular model number and ssd as search terms might find you more info.

And.. no, laptop graphics are not changeable.

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006

Music industry man: What kind of song do you want?
Cartman: Something hot and spicy!
[melody comes on]
Cartman: Spicier.
[melody changes]
Cartman: Spicier!
[spicy melody comes on]

[Jennifer Lopez (aka Eric Cartman's left hand)]
Burrito. Taco taco. Burrito. Taco. Taco taco.
Don't think just because I got a lot of money,
I'll give you taco-flavored kisses, honey.
Fulfill all your wishes
with my taco-flavored kisses.

A hybrid drive is a decent compromise if you need the space.
Better than a hard drive, but not as good as a SSD.

If you don't need the space a SSD is better. Perhaps use an auxiliary external usb drive for storage.
Put the hard drive you exchanged the SSD for in an external enclosure.

depending on the laptop you might be able to find a converter bay to change the ODD to a HDD spot, this would give you an SSD(OS)+HDD(Storage)

an ODD is almost not needed anymore, and you can buy an enclosure for your old one if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.