Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can a consumer legally buy a Windows XP OEM License?

Tags:
  • OEM
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own computers.
Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of any
hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or a System
Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller, do I need to
purchase hardware from them as well?

More about : consumer legally buy windows oem license

May 14, 2005 8:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I bought WIN XP HOME from an online Vendor with NO HARDWARE!

Mike
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

So then Microsoft wouldn't like it, but they sure don't seem to mind
people doing that. It puts me into a difficult situation where I do
want to purchase rather than pirate, but just don't have the money for
retail, and I'd already purchased my hardware a while back without the
software. There seems to be so many legit OEM software resellers out
there (in addition to the ones selling pirated software) that don't
require additional hardware purchase - I wonder what Microsoft thinks
of them.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:17:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

lldeja@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own computers.
> Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of
> any hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or a
> System Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller, do
> I need to purchase hardware from them as well?

The sale of an OEM licence is *NOT* valid without an accompanying item of
*NON* peripheral hardware (e.g. a hard drive, CPU, motherboard or graphics
card). So, if you're going to be building a system anyway, you could
purchase the OS at the same time as one of the above items and the licence
would be deemed valid.

--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:43:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <1116108390.242913.109510@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
lldeja@yahoo.com says...
> I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own computers.
> Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of any
> hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or a System
> Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller, do I need to
> purchase hardware from them as well?

OEM's are required to sell OEM software with hardware in the USA. While
many vendors will sell OEM without hardware, the OEM website
specifically has rules about selling WITH hardware purchase.

If you look on the WalMart website, they sell OEM Windows XP, but it
requires a purchase of at least a Mouse to qualify.

Now, sure, you can purchase a OEM Windows XP CD with valid key from many
places, and you could also purchase one of those China based CD's with
all of the Adobe/MS products on it for $89, but now, if you read the MS
site, or just what you've read here, you're informed and can't claim
ignorance at least.

In the final analysis, it's up to you as to how you make the purchase.

--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cf07359d29d576898973c@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <1116108390.242913.109510@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> lldeja@yahoo.com says...
> > I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own computers.
> > Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of any
> > hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or a System
> > Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller, do I need to
> > purchase hardware from them as well?
>
> OEM's are required to sell OEM software with hardware in the USA. While
> many vendors will sell OEM without hardware, the OEM website
> specifically has rules about selling WITH hardware purchase.
>
> If you look on the WalMart website, they sell OEM Windows XP, but it
> requires a purchase of at least a Mouse to qualify.
>
> Now, sure, you can purchase a OEM Windows XP CD with valid key from many
> places, and you could also purchase one of those China based CD's with
> all of the Adobe/MS products on it for $89, but now, if you read the MS
> site, or just what you've read here, you're informed and can't claim
> ignorance at least.
>
> In the final analysis, it's up to you as to how you make the purchase.
>
> --
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

What fool would pay $200 for XP Pro OEM? Is Walmart really getting anyone to
buy it at that price and if so could they send me those people's names, I've
got some land just east of Miami to sell....
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:43:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

James B wrote:
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1cf07359d29d576898973c@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
>> In article <1116108390.242913.109510@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> lldeja@yahoo.com says...
>>> I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own computers.
>>> Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of
>>> any hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or
>>> a System Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller,
>>> do I need to purchase hardware from them as well?
>>
>> OEM's are required to sell OEM software with hardware in the USA.
>> While many vendors will sell OEM without hardware, the OEM website
>> specifically has rules about selling WITH hardware purchase.
>>
>> If you look on the WalMart website, they sell OEM Windows XP, but it
>> requires a purchase of at least a Mouse to qualify.
>>
>> Now, sure, you can purchase a OEM Windows XP CD with valid key from
>> many places, and you could also purchase one of those China based
>> CD's with all of the Adobe/MS products on it for $89, but now, if
>> you read the MS site, or just what you've read here, you're informed
>> and can't claim ignorance at least.
>>
>> In the final analysis, it's up to you as to how you make the
>> purchase.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me
>
> What fool would pay $200 for XP Pro OEM? Is Walmart really getting
> anyone to buy it at that price and if so could they send me those
> people's names, I've got some land just east of Miami to sell....

If that land is in the Bahamas, I might consider it. :~}

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

lldeja@yahoo.com wrote:
> *I'm not an official system builder, but I do build my own
> computers.
> Can I buy Windows XP OEM from a MS reseller without the purchase of
> any
> hardware? Or do I need to be officially considedred an OEM or a
> System
> Builder? And when I buy the OEM software from a reseller, do I need
> to
> purchase hardware from them as well? *

I bought an OEM awhile back and got a piece of wiring with it. I
believe it was from Price Grabber. If someone asks, you installed it.



--
wahlroot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1614115.html
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:07:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

lldeja@yahoo.com wrote:
> So then Microsoft wouldn't like it, but they sure don't seem to mind
> people doing that. It puts me into a difficult situation where I do
> want to purchase rather than pirate, but just don't have the money for
> retail, and I'd already purchased my hardware a while back without the
> software. There seems to be so many legit OEM software resellers out
> there (in addition to the ones selling pirated software) that don't
> require additional hardware purchase - I wonder what Microsoft thinks
> of them.

You have more than two choices:
1. Buy a retail copy and know that MS loves you.
2. Buy an OEM copy (with or without hardware). Ths is not piracy. It is
completely legal.
3. Buy a pirated copy.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:07:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In the SB license, I don't see anything that says you have to actually
use the hardware that you've purchased with the software. All it says
is that in order to distribute (sell) the software, you have to
distribute it with a non-peripheral hardware device.