Connecting to wireless with a cable?

Hi,

Yes, sounds weird. Like the reverse of a WAP, I guess. I have an
older Windows 98 desktop that I want to hook into the wirelss network.
Instead of installing newer cards that may or may not work with the
OS, or upgrading the OS, I just want an access point that I can plug
the LAN line into that then hooks me into the wireless network.

What's the term for what I am looking for here?

Thanks!

oj

Paul

Splendid

You want an Access Point that features "Client Mode". I would bet most, if
not all APs these days support this. A Linksys WAP11 will do this.
Connect directly to your PC via a Cat5 crossover cable (although this
doesn't seem to work on all combinations of ethernet devices, you may need a
hub as a go between)

-- Paul

orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in news:77d3a68b.0404040603.33650097
@posting.google.com:

> What's the term for what I am looking for here?

A switch/hub.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in news:77d3a68b.0404040603.33650097
@posting.google.com:

> What's the term for what I am looking for here?

Or Wireless Bridge.

--

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94C1A460AD596nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
> orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in news:77d3a68b.0404040603.33650097
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > What's the term for what I am looking for here?
>
> Or Wireless Bridge.

Hi,

This seemed to be actually what I was looking for. The Linksys WET11
I think.

However, once I unpacked my old puter, I realized I didn't have a LAN
card. I have Windows 98 running. The only options I could find for
Windows 98, at least as listed on the requirements on the net, were a
Microsoft PCI card MN-730 and the Microsoft USB adapter. However, on
the box, the USB hub said Windows SE. Gave it a try, but no power
went to the adapter, so I guess it wasn't recognized by 98.

Finally got the PCI card in and running, after many crashes, tech time
with India (Hi, my name is Mike .. right ...useless), and finally
realizing it was conflicting with ZoneAlarm. However, the 98 version
does not use WPA, which I thought I might have a problem with. So out
I go today to get an upgrade to XP for my ole PIII 700mhz and hope
that this will work to get this thing on the net.

Thanks.

oj

On 5 Apr 2004 05:56:51 -0700, orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:

>Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94C1A460AD596nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
>> orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in news:77d3a68b.0404040603.33650097
>> @posting.google.com:
>>
>> > What's the term for what I am looking for here?
>>
>> Or Wireless Bridge.
>
>Hi,
>
>This seemed to be actually what I was looking for. The Linksys WET11
>I think.
>
>However, once I unpacked my old puter, I realized I didn't have a LAN
>card. I have Windows 98 running. The only options I could find for
>Windows 98, at least as listed on the requirements on the net, were a
>Microsoft PCI card MN-730 and the Microsoft USB adapter. However, on
>the box, the USB hub said Windows SE. Gave it a try, but no power
>went to the adapter, so I guess it wasn't recognized by 98.
>
>Finally got the PCI card in and running, after many crashes, tech time
>with India (Hi, my name is Mike .. right ...useless), and finally
>realizing it was conflicting with ZoneAlarm. However, the 98 version
>does not use WPA, which I thought I might have a problem with. So out
>I go today to get an upgrade to XP for my ole PIII 700mhz and hope
>that this will work to get this thing on the net.
>
>Thanks.
>
>oj

Since you are upgrading to XP, and you need to install an ethernet
card to use the wireless bridge, why not just make it simpler and
install a wireless PCI card such as the WMP54g? It will be probably
be easier and work better than a separate USB adaptor.

wireless user <flupflup@nubnub.net> wrote in message news:<kqr2709bndut1au6qmtqtjebpuqm01ucof@4ax.com>...
> On 5 Apr 2004 05:56:51 -0700, orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:
>
> >Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94C1A460AD596nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
> >> orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote in news:77d3a68b.0404040603.33650097
> >> @posting.google.com:

> >> Or Wireless Bridge.
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >This seemed to be actually what I was looking for. The Linksys WET11
> >I think.
> >
> >However, once I unpacked my old puter, I realized I didn't have a LAN
> >card. I have Windows 98 running. The only options I could find for
> >Windows 98, at least as listed on the requirements on the net, were a
> >Microsoft PCI card MN-730 and the Microsoft USB adapter. However, on
> >the box, the USB hub said Windows SE. Gave it a try, but no power
> >went to the adapter, so I guess it wasn't recognized by 98.
> >
> >Finally got the PCI card in and running, after many crashes, tech time
> >with India (Hi, my name is Mike .. right ...useless), and finally
> >realizing it was conflicting with ZoneAlarm. However, the 98 version
> >does not use WPA, which I thought I might have a problem with. So out
> >I go today to get an upgrade to XP for my ole PIII 700mhz and hope
> >that this will work to get this thing on the net.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >oj
>
> Since you are upgrading to XP, and you need to install an ethernet
> card to use the wireless bridge, why not just make it simpler and
> install a wireless PCI card such as the WMP54g? It will be probably
> be easier and work better than a separate USB adaptor.

Hi,

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Keeping the MN-730 and upgrading. Fingers crossed.

oj

TRENDING THREADS