  • CD-Rom
  • Recovery Console
  • Windows XP
May 14, 2005 10:27:01 PM

I need to load the recovery console. I'm told to load it from the xp cdrom.
When I type in what needs to be in the run menu, with the cdrom in the cd
drive, I don't get the option to load. I get a message that tells me that my
system is newer than whats on the cd, and I can't load the recovery console.
I need to anylize my system drivers to try to find out which one is making my
system crash and reboot. Can anyone give me some advice or info on this
subject? Thanks in advance.

More about : recovery console

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:59:08 AM

You need to get or make a newer version of XP. The normal way to do this is
to "slipsteam" SP2 into the contents of the original XP CDROM and make a new
new CDROM that is essentially XP+SP2. While manual slip-streaming is
possible, I find that small free utility can handle the details for you. It
is called nLite. Here is a link to the download:

Note that nLite was originally written to remove parts of XP. But, if you
accept all defaults, it can easily be used to make a complete slip-streamed
CD. To be precise, it maes an ISO imgae of the CD. To transfer that to a
CD you need something like Nero or Easy CD Creator, using options like "burn
CD from image". Do NOT simply drag&drop the file to a CD.

Important: To use nLite, Microsoft .Net version 1.1 or higher must be
installed. This is free from Microsoft.

The authors page, which contains some additional info is:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

Here is the guide to using it:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/guide/

"cromagman" <cromagman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to load the recovery console. I'm told to load it from the xp cdrom.
> When I type in what needs to be in the run menu, with the cdrom in the cd
> drive, I don't get the option to load. I get a message that tells me that
> my
> system is newer than whats on the cd, and I can't load the recovery
> console.
> I need to anylize my system drivers to try to find out which one is making
> my
> system crash and reboot. Can anyone give me some advice or info on this
> subject? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:50:05 AM

Hi,

The installation CD you use has to have the same Service Pack level as the
installation you are running cmdcons from. In other words, if the disk has
SP1 or no service pack at all, and the installed system is SP2, you will not
be able to load the RC as a boot option. You should still be able to boot
from the CD itself.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/