Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for gaming laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 11, 2012 3:41:20 AM

1. What is your budget?

2000 CADish

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Not a issue

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Yes, this computer is my everything all the time computer between home work and school, weight is not a issue.

5. How much battery life do you need?

It has to turn on without AC, thats about it :p 

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

BF3 high+ would be the area id be looking for. This has to last me for a while

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Gaming, text editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

512gb+ or the ability to expand later.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

My last laptop lasted me 3 years and still can run games decently so this is the bare minimum im looking for.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Bluray is a plus

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Weight, size and battery life really isnt a issue. Quality of build is always a plus.

More about : gaming laptop

Best solution

a b D Laptop
August 11, 2012 10:35:28 AM

http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/index.php/sager-notebooks/...

Change the following:

Video & Graphics Card: AMD ATI 7970M With 2GB DDR5 +CA$204.00
Primary Hard Disk Drive: 256GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive +CA$178.50
2nd Hard Disk Drive: 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Disk Drive +CA$102.00

PRICE ONCE CONFIGURED: CA$1,880.88

Good luck,
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2012 11:12:54 AM

Pyree said:
Same laptop, but I would include:

7970m, Window 7 64bit HP, 16GB RAM upgrade for free, default 1st HDD, Crucial M4 128GB for 2nd HDD

$1845.18

Yeah, probably a good idea to go with a free upgrade :D 
My question to you Pyree, why should the slave drive be the SSD? Isn't the idea of the SSD to benifit an extra boost of speed for Windows and Programs installed in the C drive?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2012 11:23:07 AM

Well, because you can get the free upgrade on the 1st HDD but not the 2nd HDD. So instead of paying more for 750GB HDD, just swap around and save. Actually, the SSD is almost $50 less on newegg CA, so I just changed the recommendation to make the cost as low as possible. Now, just get the 750GB HDD free from reflex without the SSD (SSD from newegg). BTW, You forgot to include OS in your selection.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2012 11:29:18 AM

Pyree said:
Well, because you can get the free upgrade on the 1st HDD but not hte 2nd HDD. So instead of paying more for 750GB HDD, just swap around and save. Actually, the SSD is almost $50 less on newegg CA, so I just changed the recommendation to make the cost as low as possible. Now, just get the 750GB HDD from reflex without the SSD (SSD from newegg). BTW, You forgot to include OS in your selection.

Alright, I guess that makes sense. The only thing is.. that it will be a bit of a hassle to migrate Windows from the HDD to the SSD.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2012 11:32:30 AM

I think the user can handle it. And the saving is enough to buy a blockbuster game.
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:35:03 AM

Thanks guys! Sorry about the delay in the response :# ill continue to take any advice ^_^ Yeah, changing a hard drive is pretty simple for me. As it should be haha.
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:36:23 AM

Question, as somebody who has been using nvidia ive always been warned away from ATI graphics cards because of driver issues, is this unfounded?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 12, 2012 3:35:08 AM

Unfounded.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:36:58 AM

What sort of performance should i expect for say, a more graphics/physics heavy game like bf3 on this laptop?
m
l
August 12, 2012 4:41:39 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the tips. Ill be ordering this soon! You are my heroes. Enough so i think ill come around here more often
m
l
August 12, 2012 5:32:13 AM

Best answer selected by sweetiebelle.
m
l
August 13, 2012 2:46:57 AM

That's a nice looking laptop. Good price too.
m
l
!