Brain Fart:
How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that only
likes MS DOS

Windows XP is not based on MS-DOS, therefore there is
no MS-DOS to boot into.

How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314495

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brain Fart" wrote:

| Brain Fart:
| How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that only
| likes MS DOS

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/14/2005 9:47:56 PM

Brain Fart wrote:
> Brain Fart:
> How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that only
> likes MS DOS

My understanding
is that Windows XP does not like to run MS-DOS. Try going to run, type
in cmd, then try that dos-looking console.

Brain Fart wrote:
> Brain Fart:
> How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that only
> likes MS DOS

Not to put too fine a point on it, you can't.

There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit
graphical operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation,
has never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery
Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the closest you can come to
the old "DOS mode."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

No such thing, there is no underlying DOS layer in an NT system (WindowsXP
is based on the NT kernel). However, many DOS applications can be run in the
NT Virtual DOS Machine (ntvdm.exe) environment. Just click start/run and
type cmd to open it. Try running the application here, as you will find that
most of the old DOS commands still work. If your application requires direct
hardware access, chances are that component will not work, as XP does not
allow for direct hardware access by applications.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Brain Fart" <Brain Fart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Brain Fart:
> How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that
> only
> likes MS DOS

"Brain Fart" <Brain Fart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Brain Fart:
> How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that
> only
> likes MS DOS

What you DOS diehards need to do is load up an old computer with MSDOS 6.22
and run your junk on that computer. Yes, you can still buy MSDOS 6.22.

> No such thing, there is no underlying DOS layer in an NT system (WindowsXP
> is based on the NT kernel). However, many DOS applications can be run in
> the NT Virtual DOS Machine (ntvdm.exe) environment. Just click start/run
> and type cmd to open it. Try running the application here, as you will
> find that most of the old DOS commands still work. If your application
> requires direct hardware access, chances are that component will not work,
> as XP does not allow for direct hardware access by applications.

Exactly what does this mean? I'm running Foxpro v2.6 for DOS and it
accesses all three of my printers just by identifying the port, even the USB
inkjet. It also accesses any drive, including three firewire and one USB
device. I can't figure out anything it won't access.

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "Brain Fart" <Brain Fart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Brain Fart:
>> How do I start or change to MS Dos? I am trying to run a program that
>> only
>> likes MS DOS
>
> What you DOS diehards need to do is load up an old computer with MSDOS
> 6.22 and run your junk on that computer. Yes, you can still buy MSDOS
> 6.22.

XP runs several DOS apps fine for me. I can't imagine why you'd need a
separate computer for this purpose.