random freezing

My computer freezes up frequently, since 2-3 weeks ago. It makes the noise
that you hear when you turn the computer off by holding the power button. It
doesn't matter what I'm doing, it happens all the time. Is this a hardware
problem or some sort of infestation?

Thank you,
Jennifer
2 answers Last reply
More about random freezing

    Hi Jennifer,

    Freezing, especially in the description you have given, is usually hardware
    related. The noise you are hearing (a click perhaps?) is usually an
    indicator of a hard drive failing or beginning to fail. You can run a drive
    diagnostic, these are usually available for free from the web site of the
    drive manufacture. It will tell you the state of the drive. If it's a
    candidate for replacement, begin backing up your data immediately.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "sunealla" <sunealla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer freezes up frequently, since 2-3 weeks ago. It makes the
    > noise
    > that you hear when you turn the computer off by holding the power button.
    > It
    > doesn't matter what I'm doing, it happens all the time. Is this a
    > hardware
    > problem or some sort of infestation?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jennifer

    Hi Rick. Thanks for your reply. I have backed up everything, and have
    recently re-scanned for viruses, etc. I found a few things that Spybot and
    the like couldn't detect and removed them with a2 freeware. What I was
    wondering, since I don't know much about this, is why my computer doesn't
    freeze when I'm in safe mode? It still makes that click-whirl sound that in
    normal mode means it just froze, but it doesn't freeze.

    Also, I couldn't find a hard drive diagnostic on Toshiba's website, but the
    Gateway folks directed me to a diagnostic on my Applications & Drivers CD,
    which I ran. It said there was an error and then repaired it. Before I ran
    that, I couldn't even turn my computer on long enough to get into safe mode,
    and now I can go for sometimes an hour without it freezing. I was hoping
    some of this info might help to verify either that my hard drive is dying or
    that it's not.

    I appreciate any input you have about this.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Jennifer,
    >
    > Freezing, especially in the description you have given, is usually hardware
    > related. The noise you are hearing (a click perhaps?) is usually an
    > indicator of a hard drive failing or beginning to fail. You can run a drive
    > diagnostic, these are usually available for free from the web site of the
    > drive manufacture. It will tell you the state of the drive. If it's a
    > candidate for replacement, begin backing up your data immediately.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "sunealla" <sunealla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer freezes up frequently, since 2-3 weeks ago. It makes the
    > > noise
    > > that you hear when you turn the computer off by holding the power button.
    > > It
    > > doesn't matter what I'm doing, it happens all the time. Is this a
    > > hardware
    > > problem or some sort of infestation?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Jennifer