My computer freezes up frequently, since 2-3 weeks ago. It makes the noise
that you hear when you turn the computer off by holding the power button. It
doesn't matter what I'm doing, it happens all the time. Is this a hardware
problem or some sort of infestation?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Freezing, especially in the description you have given, is usually hardware
related. The noise you are hearing (a click perhaps?) is usually an
indicator of a hard drive failing or beginning to fail. You can run a drive
diagnostic, these are usually available for free from the web site of the
drive manufacture. It will tell you the state of the drive. If it's a
candidate for replacement, begin backing up your data immediately.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sunealla" <sunealla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer freezes up frequently, since 2-3 weeks ago. It makes the
> noise
> that you hear when you turn the computer off by holding the power button.
> It
> doesn't matter what I'm doing, it happens all the time. Is this a
> hardware
> problem or some sort of infestation?
>
> Thank you,
> Jennifer

Hi Rick. Thanks for your reply. I have backed up everything, and have
recently re-scanned for viruses, etc. I found a few things that Spybot and
the like couldn't detect and removed them with a2 freeware. What I was
wondering, since I don't know much about this, is why my computer doesn't
freeze when I'm in safe mode? It still makes that click-whirl sound that in
normal mode means it just froze, but it doesn't freeze.

Also, I couldn't find a hard drive diagnostic on Toshiba's website, but the
Gateway folks directed me to a diagnostic on my Applications & Drivers CD,
which I ran. It said there was an error and then repaired it. Before I ran
that, I couldn't even turn my computer on long enough to get into safe mode,
and now I can go for sometimes an hour without it freezing. I was hoping
some of this info might help to verify either that my hard drive is dying or
that it's not.

I appreciate any input you have about this.
Thanks,
Jennifer