Pacman TECH: Board Repair

Last response: in Video Games
May 21, 2005 9:43:10 AM

I'm trying to trouble shoot a pac board that's been a bit of a pain.
Initially, the board would just show garbage on the screen and a line
of FFF's in the middle. Coin mechs would click. Replaced 74ls245 buffer
which is in line with the 2114's and the game booted up. Attract mode
came on and I thought I was done. Hit player 1 button and the game
would begin to reset. It would litterally go thru all the test patterns
which would end at the grid and then reset. The longer the game stayed
on, the quicker it would reset. It would make it to the number pattern
and continue reset. Self test would show Bad Ram W 0, replaced that and
still the same result. Then I it would show different ram errors like
Bad ram V 0. I then knew that it couldn't be the ram as I replaced all
of them and the same results occurred. I suspected the sync controller
card as the socket was a little weak. Replaced the socket mounted to
the pcb. I put the card back in and the game now plays. However, it
won't horizontally lock in place. It keeps fluttering left to right.
Sometimes it will kick out of the screen and just show the entire
screen full of P's. Any ideas?

john
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:31:54 PM

Have you checked 2S and 2R, and how is the watchdog?

Scott C.

Baraka wrote:
> I'm trying to trouble shoot a pac board that's been a bit of a pain.
> Initially, the board would just show garbage on the screen and a line
> of FFF's in the middle. Coin mechs would click. Replaced 74ls245 buffer
> which is in line with the 2114's and the game booted up. Attract mode
> came on and I thought I was done. Hit player 1 button and the game
> would begin to reset. It would litterally go thru all the test patterns
> which would end at the grid and then reset. The longer the game stayed
> on, the quicker it would reset. It would make it to the number pattern
> and continue reset. Self test would show Bad Ram W 0, replaced that and
> still the same result. Then I it would show different ram errors like
> Bad ram V 0. I then knew that it couldn't be the ram as I replaced all
> of them and the same results occurred. I suspected the sync controller
> card as the socket was a little weak. Replaced the socket mounted to
> the pcb. I put the card back in and the game now plays. However, it
> won't horizontally lock in place. It keeps fluttering left to right.
> Sometimes it will kick out of the screen and just show the entire
> screen full of P's. Any ideas?
>
> john

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 9:43:45 PM

Hi Scott,

Got it fixed. There were 2 traces under the socket of the Vram
Addresser that were just not making the contact. Also, one of the ram
legs were messed up. Booted right up. Thanks for the reply.

JOhn
!