Change pasword

hogan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
My 11 year old son got on my laptop running windows 7 and changed the password. Now he does not remember what he changed to. I am locked of my computer now. Is there a way to change my password without knowing the old password? Or some way of getting around the password. Thanks in advance for the advice. Hogan

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Hogan,

If you do not have other Administrator accounts on the computer, can you boot into safe mode and access the default admin account? Or did you disable it?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

hogan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

No, just my account..
Thanks for helping Cassandra

hogan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

I only have my one account. I did not disable anything that I know of. I'm not very good with this Windows stuff. I really need step by step instructions. Thanks Jessica for the help and patience. Hogan

hogan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
What you can do in such a case is you firstly enter the set up using the f1 key or the key that you system suggests to get in to the setup there on to the boot tab make your system boot from the floppy disk or cd then insert the disk in to it to re boot the system
or another way can be to opt for the windows password recovery software which will help you reset the lost password for not only the administrator account it will help you recover password for all window based applications

Thanks for the advice Tom. I willing to try anything and everything. Hogan

hogan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Thanks I will download one of those and let you know how it does. Thanks again for the advice. My son will be happy, he is banned from his PS3 until I get my laptop up and running. Hogan

G

Ouch, thats a harsh ban, Hope your son learns not to play with things. You sound like a proper father who knows discipline is key, Best of luck!

thanks for best answer :)