Network XP Home to W98 local network

May 15, 2005 4:31:07 AM

Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none of them
can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware program.
In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the new XP,
it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When I
click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on or off
on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename could not
be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
requested API isn't supported on the remote server.

I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and new XP
Home computers.

Any ideas what I can try or check??

Thanks, Bob
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:41:09 AM

W98 runs on FAT32 file system,xp runs in ntfs,ntfs can read FAT32,however
FAT32 cannot read ntfs.

"Bob S." wrote:

> Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
> system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
> computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none of them
> can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware program.
> In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the new XP,
> it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When I
> click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on or off
> on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename could not
> be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
> requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
>
> I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and new XP
> Home computers.
>
> Any ideas what I can try or check??
>
> Thanks, Bob
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:50:02 AM

If this is the problem, why does it work with the existing computer with XP
Home and not the new one. Both of the XP's have ntfs and both of the W98
computers are FAT32.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> W98 runs on FAT32 file system,xp runs in ntfs,ntfs can read FAT32,however
> FAT32 cannot read ntfs.
>
> "Bob S." wrote:
>
> > Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
> > system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
> > computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none of them
> > can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware program.
> > In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the new XP,
> > it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When I
> > click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on or off
> > on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename could not
> > be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
> > requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
> >
> > I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and new XP
> > Home computers.
> >
> > Any ideas what I can try or check??
> >
> > Thanks, Bob
May 15, 2005 4:58:15 AM

> "Bob S." wrote:
>
>> Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows
>> XP/SP2
>> system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
>> computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none
>> of them
>> can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware
>> program.
>> In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the
>> new XP,
>> it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files.
>> When I
>> click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on
>> or off
>> on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename
>> could not
>> be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
>> requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
>>
>> I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and
>> new XP
>> Home computers.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can try or check??
>>

> W98 runs on FAT32 file system,xp runs in ntfs,ntfs can read
> FAT32,however
> FAT32 cannot read ntfs.

Not True, the filing systems between networked machine does not matter.

--
William
Anonymous

"Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
> system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
> computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none
> of them
> can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware
> program.
> In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the
> new XP,
> it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When
> click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on
> or off
> on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename
> could not
> be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
> requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
>
> I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and
> new XP
> Home computers.
>
> Any ideas what I can try or check??

Have tried the Networking Wizard in XP? At the end of the wizard, there
will be an option to create a networking wizard disk to run on the 98
systems.

--
William
Anonymous

I've used the Wizard (several times) and also used the network wizard disk on
one of the W98 computers. Didn't see any difference (couldn't tell that it
changed anything on the properties/identification screens).

"WTC" wrote:

> "Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
> > system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
> > computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none
> > of them
> > can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware
> > program.
> > In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the
> > new XP,
> > it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When
> > click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on
> > or off
> > on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename
> > could not
> > be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
> > requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
> >
> > I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and
> > new XP
> > Home computers.
> >
> > Any ideas what I can try or check??
> >

> Have tried the Networking Wizard in XP? At the end of the wizard, there
> will be an option to create a networking wizard disk to run on the 98
> systems.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:58:00 AM

You should check the following newsgroup that deals with these types of
problems.

--
William

"Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 5C3E866-973C-4408-85CB-BE29156FC861@microsoft.com...
> I've used the Wizard (several times) and also used the network wizard
> disk on
> one of the W98 computers. Didn't see any difference (couldn't tell
> that it
> changed anything on the properties/identification screens).
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows
>> > XP/SP2
>> > system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the
>> > other
>> > computers on the network (and access the shared files). However,
>> > none
>> > of them
>> > can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and
>> > spyware
>> > program.
>> > In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access
>> > the
>> > new XP,
>> > it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files.
>> > When
>> > click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is
>> > on
>> > or off
>> > on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename
>> > could not
>> > be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible.
>> > The
>> > requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
>> >
>> > I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old
>> > and
>> > new XP
>> > Home computers.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what I can try or check??
>> >

>> Have tried the Networking Wizard in XP? At the end of the wizard,
>> there
>> will be an option to create a networking wizard disk to run on the 98
>> systems.
>>
>> --
>> William

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:04:36 AM

I am sorry, I gave you the incorrect link. (There was an error in the
link)

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(anyone)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o dEpywSWFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You should check the following newsgroup that deals with these types
> of problems.

> --
> William
>
> "Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5C3E866-973C-4408-85CB-BE29156FC861@microsoft.com...
>> I've used the Wizard (several times) and also used the network wizard
>> disk on
>> one of the W98 computers. Didn't see any difference (couldn't tell
>> that it
>> changed anything on the properties/identification screens).
>>
>> "WTC" wrote:
>>
>>> "Bob S." <BobS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Have tried the Networking Wizard in XP? At the end of the wizard,
>>> there
>>> will be an option to create a networking wizard disk to run on the
>>> 98
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:48:37 PM

Andrew E. wrote:
> W98 runs on FAT32 file system,xp runs in ntfs,ntfs can read FAT32,however
> FAT32 cannot read ntfs.

Completely irrelevant. Can you even spell "PC?" This has got to be
your stupidest response, yet.

The file systems on the various computers communicating over a network
are completely irrelevant, as none of the individual computers'
operating systems ever directly access the other computers' hard drives.
Instead, a computer sends a "request," if you will, for the desired
data, and the operating system of the host ("receiving") computer
accesses its own hard drive (whose file system it obviously can read)
and then sends that data back to the requesting computer as neutral
packets of information that are completely independent of the file
systems on the respective computers. After all, don't you use a
Windows-based PC (whether it's FAT32 or NTFS) to access data stored on
the Internet's mostly Unix servers, which use a completely different
file system?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:49:59 PM

Bob S. wrote:
> Have a local network working with 2 W98 systems and one Windows XP/SP2
> system. Have a new XP Home computer SP2. The new XP can see the other
> computers on the network (and access the shared files). However, none of them
> can see the new XP system. I have turned off MS firewall and spyware program.
> In Firewall, I have enabled "local network". When I try to access the new XP,
> it shows up in the network neighborhood without the shared files. When I
> click on the name, I get either (depending on whether firewall is on or off
> on the new XP) "\\xxx is not accessible The computer or sharename could not
> be found. Make sure you typed...... " OR \\xxx is not accessible. The
> requested API isn't supported on the remote server.
>
> I cannot see any difference in the network setup between the old and new XP
> Home computers.
>
> Any ideas what I can try or check??
>
> Thanks, Bob

On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
is disabled on the internal LAN connection.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/hom...

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:29:12 PM

The Problem lies in either

a) Communications. make sure you have TCP/IP loaded. Check that the
machines are all picking up an IP address in the same network segment
(ie probably 192.168.0.x). Tray pinging each machine from each other
machine to make sure theres comms.

b) Logging in accounts. Make sure theres an account called Guest on
each machine, and that when trying to connect you use that. If no joy,
try connecting as admin (which is wher you come unstuck on XP Home, no
admin account).

c) make sure you have file sharing enabled and share names fot every
drive.

For starters, anyway...........

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

> W98 runs on FAT32 file system,xp runs in ntfs,ntfs can read FAT32,however
> FAT32 cannot read ntfs.

Totally incorrect. In a network situation all file access is handled
by the computer on which the files are located, so a Windows 98
computer can access files on an NTFS drive on a computer running
Windows XP with zero problems.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:34:02 PM

No problem pinging any computer on network... all show 192.168.0.x Restored
back to when first loaded sp2 and did initial windows update. All computers
could communicate ok, except new XP took awhile to reply. Next day when I
started up new XP, was back to same problem. XP can see other XP's and W98's
on network. If I search for computer by name, it does find the new XP but
faded out (I assume that is no priveleges).

Appears problem reoccurred after some additional Windows updates. I have
never had to set up special accounts, logins, etc before for the mixture of
XP and W98 computers (in fact, wizard on first XP system did great job of
connecting - both ways- with computers on network.

Guess it's back to starting over with restore disk, maybe using wizard
before any updates or SP2 upgrade and then hope Windows updates doesn't
"break it" again. The other XP has all windows updates, although network was
working before upgraded to SP2 and later updates. Still worked after the
updates.

It appears to definently be a login in problem over the network though

"guestfromhell" wrote:

> The Problem lies in either
>
> a) Communications. make sure you have TCP/IP loaded. Check that the
> machines are all picking up an IP address in the same network segment
> (ie probably 192.168.0.x). Tray pinging each machine from each other
> machine to make sure theres comms.
>
> b) Logging in accounts. Make sure theres an account called Guest on
> each machine, and that when trying to connect you use that. If no joy,
> try connecting as admin (which is wher you come unstuck on XP Home, no
> admin account).
>
> c) make sure you have file sharing enabled and share names fot every
> drive.
>
> For starters, anyway...........
>

> --
> guestfromhell
> guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819072031

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:49:02 PM

Hey Bob - I've had this problem since XPhe came out - I'm using six
win98se computers (four on cables - two wireless) and four winXPhe SP1
computers (three on cables - one wireless [Laptop]) on a wireless
router and two switches with two printers and one plotter. File/print
sharing is the utmost priority with security inplace. The processes
involved to allow communications across a network of multiple OS's on a
CONSISTANT basis is not difficult, but it does require your patience and
lots of time to tune it up. If you would like to establish file and
print sharing, mapping drives across your network and protocol security
- It can be done with much success. Using this forum is ok - but I would
prefer a more direct path to communicate with you. Let me know how you
would like for me to get in touch with you.

FireDoc

--
FireDoc
May 28, 2005 12:46:04 AM

You can contact me directly at this address: bobj2504-misc@yahoo.com

I can reload everything if need to or just drop back to a state where I did
initial computer startup, installed SP2 before doing any Windows update and
then turned Windows update loose.

Since I have no problem reliably communicating/sharing etc between my other
XPhe system with the W98 computer and all I did on it was use wizard to set
it up, it makes this problem confusing (and frustrating).

Bob