Tech: Help with Sinistar Control Panel Wiring

larryc

I'm attempting to wire up the control panel on my Sinistar restoration.
This is hopefully the last step before I'm able to play. The original
control panel harness is complete on the control panel end, but the
connectors to the interface board were cut off for the previous conversion
(AJAX).

All of the pinouts for Sinistar that I have found online indicate that the
Interface board has a pair of 15 pin connections. My interface board, and
the one on www.robotron-2084.co.uk , has a 15 pin (3J2) and a 12 pin (3J3).
No big deal, sinice all of the connections appear to be on 3J2 (the 15 pin
connection), but there is a ground noted on pin 15 of the 12 pin 3J3
connector. Also, all of the other connections indicate the color of the
wire, except the phantom ground on the 15 pin connector.

After wiring up the 15 pin connector I have a grey wire left over so I'm
'assuming' that is the ground for 3J3. I'm also assuming that it should go
on the last pin of the connector which is actually pin 12 (first pin on the
interface board when looking at it directly). My problem is, that I've
hooked it up this way and I have no controls at all, therefore calling into
question all of my assumptions.

If anyone can confirm that the grey wire in the Sinistar harness should be
the Ground on the 12 pin connector for the interface board, and which pin
location it should go in, I would really appreciate it. A picture of the
harness at the interface board would also help greatly.

Larry C.
Franklin, WI

larry at hermitcreek dot com

larryc

Ok, I've deciphered enough of the pinouts to realize that the grey wire is
for +5 and not ground.

I've also found a single reference that the 3J3 connector is not used at
all. Can anyone confirm this?

On 2005-05-21 16:59:57 -0500, "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> said:

> Ok, I've deciphered enough of the pinouts to realize that the grey wire
> is for +5 and not ground.
>
> I've also found a single reference that the 3J3 connector is not used
> at all. Can anyone confirm this?

Correct.

Here, I snapped you a couple of pics of the inside, click them for
high-res versions.

http://www.sventech.com/~dereks/gallery/sinistar/IMG_0664

http://www.sventech.com/~dereks/gallery/sinistar/IMG_0665

larryc

Thanks Derek.

I'm still having trouble identifying where the +5 for the Joystick should be
connected to. Does anybody know off hand?

LarryC wrote:
> Nope, I'm looking for the other end - the source of the +5. Doesn't
seem to
> be anywhere to wire it too. I tried splicing into the +5 to the ROM
board,
> but that seemed to make the ROM board a little goofy.

If you're running a switcher power supply - just tap it onto the +5v on
the switcher itself. This is what I did for the Williams test bench
wiring harness that I made up. Works great.

-Steve P.

larryc

On 2005-05-22 18:36:12 -0500, "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> said:

> Nope, I'm looking for the other end - the source of the +5. Doesn't
> seem to be anywhere to wire it too. I tried splicing into the +5 to
> the ROM board, but that seemed to make the ROM board a little goofy.

Hmm.

I'll try and trace it down for you.

On 2005-05-22 18:36:12 -0500, "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> said:

> Nope, I'm looking for the other end - the source of the +5. Doesn't
> seem to be anywhere to wire it too. I tried splicing into the +5 to
> the ROM board, but that seemed to make the ROM board a little goofy.

Ok, I took some more pics for you. These follow the harness from the
stick all the way back.

It looks to me that it terminates in a tap on the power supply. That
seems like a safe enough place to run it, even if it's not what was
originally intended.

http://www.sventech.com/~dereks/gallery/sinistar/IMG_0671

larryc

Nope, not running a switcher (yet). I have a completely rebuilt linear
board which normally works well for me in my other Williams games. I
figured that they must have run power to the joystick before switchers, I
just can't figure out where from any of the wiring diagrams on the 'net
(although they all seem to be copied from the same source!).

<stevenprendergast@gmail.com> wrote in message

> LarryC wrote:
>> Nope, I'm looking for the other end - the source of the +5. Doesn't
> seem to
>> be anywhere to wire it too. I tried splicing into the +5 to the ROM
> board,
>> but that seemed to make the ROM board a little goofy.
>>

> If you're running a switcher power supply - just tap it onto the +5v on
> the switcher itself. This is what I did for the Williams test bench
> wiring harness that I made up. Works great.
>
> -Steve P.

> Nope, not running a switcher (yet). I have a completely rebuilt linear
> board which normally works well for me in my other Williams games. I
> figured that they must have run power to the joystick before switchers,
> I just can't figure out where from any of the wiring diagrams on the
> 'net (although they all seem to be copied from the same source!).

Call me a purist, but I prefer rebuilding the old linears to
switcherizing them. Good job :)