Bizarre problem with my Radeon 9800 + my 17" LCD

ilttu

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004
I have a big-ass problem. I recently compiled a new comp from the remains of my old one and my brother's one after he went to live abroad. I took the best parts from my comp (radeon 9800, 2HDDs, 768mb SDRAM) and the best parts from my brother's comp (case, power source, mobo, athlon xp 3k+ cpu, dvd burner, 1HDD, 17" flat LCD screen).

As I was adding my stuff into my brother's case, I was inserting the hardware one by one and testing them out separately. During the whole process I had my old comp running on the side with some old equipment. So I was using my brother's flat screen. Once I got everything installed, I closed both comps and I moved the new comp into the place where the old comp was. When I fired the new comp up, I was shocked to find that the flat screen monitor couldn't find a signal and was out of range everytime I booted.

What is bizarre about this problem is that the screen first worked and stopped working after I changed the places of the comps. The settings were all the same and everything. Now, I've been trying to get the screen to work with all means I could think of. I have 2 flat screens in the house and they both work for my dad's comp and neither for my comp. Finally, the most odd thing is that my CRT monitors work fine with it.

So, I added two and two together, and I came to the conclusion that the problem is my Radeon 9800 card. For some reason, the card can use CRT monitors but not LCDs. The problem is probably not in the drivers, since the settings were the same in both situations. My card could've somehow got injured while moving the comp, but I doubt it.

So, what do ya think? What's up?

RichPLS

Champion
Is the refresh rate and res set correct?

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

ilttu

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004
The resolution is correct. I don't know about the refresh rate. I gotta make some tests with it tonight. But, I find it unlikely that it's the refresh rates fault, since the screen worked for a while and then suddenly stopped working after one of the many reboots. So the settings should've been the same with all reboots.

ilttu

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004
Ok, now this is getting personal.

I compiled a new comp for my dad out of my old one. After I'm done compiling, I start it off and it has the exact same problem as with my new comp. The flat monitor has no signal. The comp has my brother's old Radeon 9600XT, so I naturally thought the problem was with the card. so my dad went and bought a new Radeon 9600SE and it didn't work.

My both comps have totally different components and they both have the same problem. In my new one I credited the problem to the age of my Radeon 9800 card and managed to get it working by switching from vga to dvi output. But, as it's clear, the problem with my old comp can't be with the Radeon 9600 card, so I'm stumped.

I have three options: (1)The mobo is busted, (2)The PSU (230W) hasn't got the power to display the image or (3)The PSU is busted. It can't be that my older r9800 and r9600 cards and the brand-new r9600 card are all broken. It can't be that the flat monitor is busted, since I have 3 monitors to test with. Now my dad is all angry at me and wants to buy a whole new comp. Neither DVI or VGA ports work and I'm totally stumped. What's going on?