Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Laptop Questions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 11, 2012 9:27:00 PM

So I recently got into PC gaming because of the Steam Summer sale. I'm normally a console type of person, but I find the modding aspect of the PC more enjoyable. I've been playing Skyrim on low settings pretty smoothly (which is surprising given my laptop wasn't meant for games like that), but it lags up every once in a while. I went to the canirunit website and I passed every test, with the exception of the graphics card..

So, if I upgrade my graphics card, would I be able to run games like Skyrim on medium or high? Or even on low settings smoothly? Also, what would be a good/compatible brand

Specs:
Model: HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 6.0 GB
And I have an Intel (r) HD Graphics card


Like I said I'm new to PC gaming, so let me know if I need to post any other info.
a c 433 D Laptop
August 11, 2012 9:31:52 PM

You cannot upgrade the graphic card, you are stuck with the Intel HD 3000 graphic core.

Laptops are not like desktops, there are very few laptops which allows you to upgrade the graphic card. 99% of laptop models will not allow you to upgrade the graphic card. The remaining 1% are gaming laptops that costs at least $1,500+, but not all gaming laptops in the price range allows you to upgrade the graphic card.

If you want better performance, then you need to buy a new laptop that comes with a discrete graphic card.
August 11, 2012 9:51:03 PM

If you are planning to start pc gaming I would invest in a decent desktop computer to be honest, something with an I5 series cpu or equivalent amd, 8 gigs of memory, and an nvidia 570+ series or amd 7850+ for a really nice experience.
Related resources
August 11, 2012 9:59:16 PM

vegettonox said:
If you are planning to start pc gaming i would invest in a decent desktop computer to be honest, something with an i5 series cpu or equivalent, 8 gigs of memory, and an nvidia 570+ series or amd 7850+ for a really nice experience.


How much would that be? I really wanted to get a desktop but I was kind of put off by the high prices - especially because I think prices may drop for everything soon. But yeah, I'll search around for a good build that's around $500.
August 11, 2012 10:05:42 PM

rillest said:
How much would that be? I really wanted to get a desktop but I was kind of put off by the high prices - especially because I think prices may drop for everything soon. But yeah, I'll search around for a good build that's around $500.


Take a look at a entry level laptop, its going to cost you around 450-500 bucks, tack on the added increase for a video card that is slightly faster than a horse with no legs, (or what i would call normal laptop gpus'), and there yah go. I would put no less than 7-800 into the system if you want it to last for a few years.

My personal recommendation would be to put at least 250-350 into your graphics card, that way you can crank up the settings and get some nice eye candy.
August 11, 2012 10:21:14 PM

Sweet. I'll take a look around! Thank you!!
!