Ati Radeon 9600xt 256mb

alam888

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
I installed a ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb card to my computer. Windows boots and loads fine. The problem I have is with games. Games such as Diablo 2 and Ghost Recon do not work. Graphics get messed up or the computer just freezes. I dont know whats going on. I have the latest drivers for my graphics card and the latest bios for my motherboard.

Windows XP Home SP1
Motherboard - ASUS A8V
CPU - Athlon 64 3500
RAM - Kingston 512MB PC3200
HD - Maxtor 80GB
Video - ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Might try downloading and running Driver Cleaner (or similar free proggie) to clean out old driver fragments. Especially if you had an nVidia card in there b4.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you had an nVidia card in their before, the old driver tries to convince XP that it's the primary adapter even when it's gone. This doesn't show up in Device Manager (XP isn't that dumb) but it alters certain configurations in the registry. Which is why he suggested Drive Cleaner.

If that's not the problem, try a different driver revision from ATI. Also check your system voltages, 3D apps activate parts of the chip, which in turn draw more power from the system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

So you say you updated BIOS, but did you update the chipset drivers?

For AMD chipsets you have to be sure you have the AGP mobo chipset driver downloaded. And as others have said if you had a previous card, run driver cleaner or something to clean your machine. But considering it's 3D that's the problem I think it's either a chipset driver issue or an M$ DX issue.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: