check disk error

I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reload windows xp. Since this
has been done check disk will not workproperly I keep getting the message:
"Checking file system on C
type of file NTFS
cannot open volume for direct access
windows has finished checking the disk"

Then the computer continues to start up normally.

I get this message every time I turn the computer on and/or restart it.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ron
2 answers Last reply
More about check disk error

    What I'd highly recommend: Run CHKDSK /P from within the XP Recovery Console !
    Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
    Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
    Login to XP with administrator password. Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery console /P replaces /F ).

    Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the "dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
    CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

    References for Recovery Console:
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314058

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654

    To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Ronnie M" wrote
    >I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reload windows xp. Since this
    > has been done check disk will not workproperly I keep getting the message:
    > "Checking file system on C
    > type of file NTFS
    > cannot open volume for direct access
    > windows has finished checking the disk"
    >
    > Then the computer continues to start up normally.
    >
    > I get this message every time I turn the computer on and/or restart it.
    >
    > Any help to fix this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Ron
  2. I've searched for months for an answer to this problem.

    It started when I tried to defrag my C: drive and got this error:

    Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C)
    Please run chkdsk /f

    So trying to run chkdsk /f I would get this message:

    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot open volume for direct access.
    Windows has finished checking the disk.

    I did a lot of googling and tried many possible fixes with no luck.
    I read your post and ran the chkdsk /p from the command line in the recovery console, and
    chkdsk found some errors. I ran chkdsk a second time and no errors. I booted back in to windows
    and BINGO it works.

    Thanks for everything.. just wish i would have found this months ago.

    mikeeX

Computers Disk Error Windows XP