check disk error

I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reload windows xp. Since this
has been done check disk will not workproperly I keep getting the message:
"Checking file system on C
type of file NTFS
cannot open volume for direct access
windows has finished checking the disk"

Then the computer continues to start up normally.

I get this message every time I turn the computer on and/or restart it.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ron

What I'd highly recommend: Run CHKDSK /P from within the XP Recovery Console !
Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator password. Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery console /P replaces /F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the "dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ronnie M" wrote
>I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reload windows xp. Since this
> has been done check disk will not workproperly I keep getting the message:
> "Checking file system on C
> type of file NTFS
> cannot open volume for direct access
> windows has finished checking the disk"
>
> Then the computer continues to start up normally.
>
> I get this message every time I turn the computer on and/or restart it.
>
> Any help to fix this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ron

mykeeX

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I've searched for months for an answer to this problem.

It started when I tried to defrag my C: drive and got this error:

Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C)
Please run chkdsk /f

So trying to run chkdsk /f I would get this message:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

I did a lot of googling and tried many possible fixes with no luck.
I read your post and ran the chkdsk /p from the command line in the recovery console, and
chkdsk found some errors. I ran chkdsk a second time and no errors. I booted back in to windows
and BINGO it works.

Thanks for everything.. just wish i would have found this months ago.

mikeeX