Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1150 mouse automatically clicks?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2005 8:50:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

A friend has a new Dell 1150 laptop. The mouse pad left button
automatically clicks as it hovers over a menu or button, frequently,
often within a second or two. When a dialog or window comes up, and as
the mouse hovers, it often gets answered automatically. Or maybe the
window just automatically gets minimized sometimes. Computer operation
becomes very frustrating this way.

Is this just a defective mouse pad button switch? Acts as if the switch
contacts must be touching much of the time, although mechanically it
feels about right. Does the laptop have to go back to Dell for repair
for this, or is there some setting or adjustment? The Mouse Control
Panel only has double click and cursor speed.
March 3, 2005 3:16:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
> A friend has a new Dell 1150 laptop. The mouse pad left button
> automatically clicks as it hovers over a menu or button, frequently,
> often within a second or two. When a dialog or window comes up, and as
> the mouse hovers, it often gets answered automatically. Or maybe the
> window just automatically gets minimized sometimes. Computer operation
> becomes very frustrating this way.

> Is this just a defective mouse pad button switch? Acts as if the switch
> contacts must be touching much of the time, although mechanically it
> feels about right. Does the laptop have to go back to Dell for repair
> for this, or is there some setting or adjustment? The Mouse Control
> Panel only has double click and cursor speed.

Touchpads are commonly setup so that a tap on the pad equals a left
click. (Beyond that a lot of mouse drivers offer all sorts of loop,
straight line, zip stuff that is supposed to make life grand ... I
find it distracting)

You can try out the tap thing. Should be easy enough to test. And
you'll feel better knowing it's not a hardware issue.

You can probably turn it off in the mouse control panel. Go Start->
Control Panel-> (switch to classic view if you haven't already) ->
Mouse.

You probably have either Alps or Synaptics touchpad. They're
configured differently and different versions have different
features. Just stumble around and take a look. You should see
something that looks related.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 3:16:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <d05l1b$7ns$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, b@fake.com says...

>Touchpads are commonly setup so that a tap on the pad equals a left
>click. (Beyond that a lot of mouse drivers offer all sorts of loop,
>straight line, zip stuff that is supposed to make life grand ... I
>find it distracting)
>
>You can try out the tap thing. Should be easy enough to test. And
>you'll feel better knowing it's not a hardware issue.
>
>You can probably turn it off in the mouse control panel. Go Start->
>Control Panel-> (switch to classic view if you haven't already) ->
>Mouse.
>
>You probably have either Alps or Synaptics touchpad. They're
>configured differently and different versions have different
>features. Just stumble around and take a look. You should see
>something that looks related.


Thanks Brian. Not sure, but I think possibly that could be it (its a
friends laptop, and it is not here right now). I remember seeing the name
Synaptics, but the Control Panel Mouse settings were just the standard MS
settings, double click and cursor speed, etc. I found nothing there that
seemed out of the ordinary. Are you saying there was another Control Panel
Mouse icon in there with additional settings?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 3:16:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>In article <d05l1b$7ns$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, b@fake.com says...
>
>>Touchpads are commonly setup so that a tap on the pad equals a left
>>click.


Thanks Brian.. You caused me to look more and I found this now:

http://learning.nd.edu/tabletpc/faq/touchpad-click.html

Sure does sound like the same "problem".
!