Hiding Icons When Inactive Next To The Clock

I don't think I was clear in my last question. The icons that are not in use
are suppose to hide automatically and there's a little arrow type icon in
front of the hiddin one's that when you click on that show all the icons.
Click the arrow again and they hide. This feature does not work anymore. In
the Taskbar And Start Menu Properties next to customize there is a box you
check to activate this feature. You can also click on Customize and select
each icon you want to hide or show all the time. None of this works anymore.
I have icons that when active do show in this taskbar and if I want them to
show I have to go to the program itself and click on show icon in system
tray. So, I am wondering why this went away. I am using XP Pro. I went to
Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks" and clicked on line 30 on the left
side and line 53 on the right side which is Hide or Show Inactive Icons -
Notification Area. None of this worked. Any suggestions asside from reloading
windows xp? Thanks a bunch.
4 answers Last reply
More about hiding icons inactive clock

    You could try this free Utility TrayIcon Standard
    http://www.winpcware.com/desktop8.htm

    "irwinh" <irwinh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't think I was clear in my last question. The icons that are not in
    >use
    > are suppose to hide automatically and there's a little arrow type icon in
    > front of the hiddin one's that when you click on that show all the icons.
    > Click the arrow again and they hide. This feature does not work anymore.
    > In
    > the Taskbar And Start Menu Properties next to customize there is a box you
    > check to activate this feature. You can also click on Customize and select
    > each icon you want to hide or show all the time. None of this works
    > anymore.
    > I have icons that when active do show in this taskbar and if I want them
    > show I have to go to the program itself and click on show icon in system
    > tray. So, I am wondering why this went away. I am using XP Pro. I went to
    > Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks" and clicked on line 30 on the left
    > side and line 53 on the right side which is Hide or Show Inactive Icons -
    > Notification Area. None of this worked. Any suggestions asside from
    > reloading
    > windows xp? Thanks a bunch.

    Thank you for your reply but it's not what I need. I get and have all of my
    system tray icons. My problem is the feature that turns the "hide inactive
    icons" on & off does not work. I don't have the little arrow that hides them
    or shows them. Tay are there but they do not hide when inactive and someone
    stole the litttle arrow.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > You could try this free Utility TrayIcon Standard
    > http://www.winpcware.com/desktop8.htm
    >

    > "irwinh" <irwinh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't think I was clear in my last question. The icons that are not in
    > >use
    > > are suppose to hide automatically and there's a little arrow type icon in
    > > front of the hiddin one's that when you click on that show all the icons.
    > > Click the arrow again and they hide. This feature does not work anymore.
    > > In
    > > the Taskbar And Start Menu Properties next to customize there is a box you
    > > check to activate this feature. You can also click on Customize and select
    > > each icon you want to hide or show all the time. None of this works
    > > anymore.
    > > I have icons that when active do show in this taskbar and if I want them
    > > show I have to go to the program itself and click on show icon in system
    > > tray. So, I am wondering why this went away. I am using XP Pro. I went to
    > > Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks" and clicked on line 30 on the left
    > > side and line 53 on the right side which is Hide or Show Inactive Icons -
    > > Notification Area. None of this worked. Any suggestions asside from
    > > reloading
    > > windows xp? Thanks a bunch.

    You may have been hijacked by Malware. Use all of these free
    websites to check

    www.webroot.com

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

    http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > You could try this free Utility TrayIcon Standard
    > http://www.winpcware.com/desktop8.htm
    >

    > "irwinh" <irwinh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't think I was clear in my last question. The icons that are not in
    >>use
    >> are suppose to hide automatically and there's a little arrow type icon in
    >> front of the hiddin one's that when you click on that show all the icons.
    >> Click the arrow again and they hide. This feature does not work anymore.
    >> In
    >> the Taskbar And Start Menu Properties next to customize there is a box
    >> you
    >> check to activate this feature. You can also click on Customize and
    >> select
    >> each icon you want to hide or show all the time. None of this works
    >> anymore.
    >> I have icons that when active do show in this taskbar and if I want them
    >> show I have to go to the program itself and click on show icon in system
    >> tray. So, I am wondering why this went away. I am using XP Pro. I went to
    >> Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks" and clicked on line 30 on the left
    >> side and line 53 on the right side which is Hide or Show Inactive Icons -
    >> Notification Area. None of this worked. Any suggestions asside from
    >> reloading
    >> windows xp? Thanks a bunch.

    Rich,

    I don't know what or how it happened but it all came back. All I did was go
    to one of your websites and browse a little and the arrow that shows and
    hides the icons appeared? Very strange but thanks a million.

    Irwin

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > You may have been hijacked by Malware. Use all of these free
    > websites to check
    >
    > www.webroot.com
    >
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
    >
    > http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html
    >

    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >

    > "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > You could try this free Utility TrayIcon Standard
    > > http://www.winpcware.com/desktop8.htm
    > >

    > > "irwinh" <irwinh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I don't think I was clear in my last question. The icons that are not in
    > >>use
    > >> are suppose to hide automatically and there's a little arrow type icon in
    > >> front of the hiddin one's that when you click on that show all the icons.
    > >> Click the arrow again and they hide. This feature does not work anymore.
    > >> In
    > >> the Taskbar And Start Menu Properties next to customize there is a box
    > >> you
    > >> check to activate this feature. You can also click on Customize and
    > >> select
    > >> each icon you want to hide or show all the time. None of this works
    > >> anymore.
    > >> I have icons that when active do show in this taskbar and if I want them
    > >> show I have to go to the program itself and click on show icon in system
    > >> tray. So, I am wondering why this went away. I am using XP Pro. I went to
    > >> Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks" and clicked on line 30 on the left
    > >> side and line 53 on the right side which is Hide or Show Inactive Icons -
    > >> Notification Area. None of this worked. Any suggestions asside from
    > >> reloading
    > >> windows xp? Thanks a bunch.

Customization Icons Windows XP