gunrun911

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
Ok Guys, from my previous post i said i have a 1.6a o/c at 2.1 and i was getting like 30 fps on counterstrike source.. I took the advice from u guys and added another 512 megs.. So i had 512 megs pc 2100 ram, and took it out and bought dual 512 megs from mushkin, the black line level 2 ram. I also bought a gef 6800 oc card. So i went from the gef ti 4200 to the gef 6800 and changed the ram from 512 megs pc2100 to 1 gig pc2700 ram. Im running at 2.1 and the timing is 2 2 2 7.

I still get 30-40 fps in counterstrike source. Just a little difference but not much at all. Im really upset, i thought the extra ram and this super graphics card would do the trick, it hasnt.. Im thinking of buying this pc.
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/inf8000.asp?v=d but with an agp slot so i can keep my gef 6800 . im thinking of doing the 3.0 ghz pc.. Will this do the trick?

I really want to save the pc i have now. 2.1 ghz and a gef 6800 oc card i figured i should be getting 70 fps at least.. The fps is at 70 when there are maybe 2 players on the screen but once the shooting starts it goes as low as 20fps. ANy other ideas before i take this big step? I have the 1170 agp drivers from SIS, fast rights are off. I even o/c my pc to 2.4 ghc but i dont want to fry anything so i leave it at 2.1. I even reinstalled win xp. Still the same.. any other ideas? is a 3.0 ghz pc with 1mgh cache good enough? or should i just get the regular 3.0 ghz pc with 512 cache.. I dont want to spend to much money but this company puts it all together for me. Can someone check out the pc i mentioned and tell me what u think? here is the link again. http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/inf8000.asp?v=d

but will the regular 3.0 or 3.4 ghz pc with the 800 fsb 512k cache be enough?? thanks guys.. here is my specs now.

asus p4s533 1.6a cpu o/c at 2.1 ghz
gef 6800
1 gig mushkin level 2 black timed at 2 2 2 7.. also i have a 350 watt powersupply. the gef needs only a 300 watt.

anyone know if there are any jumpers on the mb i need to change? i did go from pc2100 to pc 2700 ram. thanks.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
U shld definitely get more than 20fps. Anything above 60 (ids magic number) is useless.

CSS is not a good platform to test ur FPS, as all the fragging going around puts load on ur network speed than the processor. Chk ur ping times to the server. Make sure they are <100ms and in no way >200ms, else u ll have lagging which will be like low fps or something.

try ur system on the HL2 stress test.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
What's holding you back is the 1.6a. Counter-strike source is very cpu intensive. The reason behind this is the large amount of physics in the game. If you update your processor you should see huge improvements in fps.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 512mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
though i expected he get more, but it might be true that a faster processor is required, considering in CS, the AI we are dealing with is not AI but actuall intelligence. Hence moves by all the bunch have to be positioned by our card n processor. But I am not sure...

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

I'm thinking the same as you priyajeet, his CPU may be holding him back some. Also it should be noted that CS also doesn't have a bunch of DirectX9 stuff, (isn't the 4200 the almost the same as the TI4600/4400), so he really had a pretty good card to begin with. Basically he isn't probably going to notice a huge difference in older games, it will tend to be a bigger performance gain in newer stuff.

I haven't played CounterStrike online or anything, but all the other HalfLife games, with the high definition packs, run bare minimum twice his FPS in 1600x1200 with all settings on high, with my 6800 (My CPU is a little more).

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>