Radeon 9800 and Shuttle SFF PCs

ptrober

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
Does anyone know whether it is safe to put a Radeon 9800 series in a Shuttle (SB75G2)?? The PSU is only 250W and ATI recommend 300W but a Shuttle is not running as many extra peripherals / optical drives as a more standard desktop. I saw a review on Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040107/minipc-18.html) that suggests a Shuttle will take the 9800, but I was wondering whether anyone has any experience on the matter?

Many thanks!

Don't let Crashman see this. :lol:

You can do it, but it's not a wise choice. IF you are running everything else rather bare bones you should be ok, but you may still have cooling issues. Usually the 250W PSU is a cheap cheesy PSU. Many people do run them but expect that there may be issues.

Newer SFF cases come with better quality and higher wattage PSUs because this was an issue.

If you have a fast or multiopls HD(s), 2+ sticks of RAM, you also run the optical drive (get no CD cracks IMO), or have any goofy lights, you may have problems. The R9800Pro is OK power consumption wise, but even then it does chew alot of power when running. Let's just say it's probably the best you could hope for, but also maybe more than you can handle in that rig. The only other options IMO are an R9600XT or waiting for AGP versions of the X700PRO/XT or GF6600GT, both of which seem to draw less power thanks to their 0.11micron design.

Of course that's just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a REAL computer. If you need it portable, get a slim tower Micro ATX. If you need it to fit a home theater rack, get a Micro ATX desktop.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a REAL computer. If you need it portable, get a slim tower Micro ATX. If you need it to fit a home theater rack, get a Micro ATX desktop.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LOL! :lol:

Hmmm, never woulda guessed you felt that way! :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: