DDR light vs. full??

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Hi guys and gals, I couldn't find anything posted about this, hopefully some one can answer my question...

I was looking through a store's seletion of video cards and I came across two video cards with the same name, but different prices. One was marked as having "ddr light" and the other was "ddr full".

eg)
ATI-OEM (SAPPHIRE) RADEON X800 PRO W/DVI OUT 8X AGP W/256MB DDR LITE RETAIL
ATI-OEM (SAPPHIRE) RADEON X800 PRO W/DVI OUT 8X AGP W/256MB DDR FULL RETAIL

Can anyone explain the difference between light & full. How much of a performance difference is there actually? Also is there a way to identify if other manufacturors are using light/full?

Thanks for your input!

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Sorry, not seen any GALS around :frown:
No Hw diff in Lite/Full retail.

Full retail indicates that the package contains the entire bundle including the Game software bundle and utilities. The Lite retail versions do not come bundled with the software bundle and are packaged with the neccessities needed to enjoy the pinnacle in performance from Sapphire alone.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

pauldh

Illustrious
That's exactly right PJ. Kinda comical when the "lite and full" get seperated from the "retail" like that.

Back in the Radeon 9800 non pro days, I guess you could say Samsung was Full DDR, and the Infinion was Lite. :tongue:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Cool, thanks guys :)

hehe, I didn't expect any gals wither priyajeet, I think I was just going to some political correctness ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think some of the Lite cards are also using underclocked, inferior RAM, like their EZ counterparts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>