problem adding memory

I built a :
P4 2.5 /Windows XP Professional
Motherboard - EliteGroup L4VXA2 rev 1.0
VIA Chipset Apollo PX400 [current update]
VT8754 Northbridge / VT 8235Southbridge
Phoenis Award Bios [current]
Corsair 512 3200/400 unbuffered [1]
3 memory slots/12 gig total capability
80 gig HDD
GeForce 4 Ti4200/128 Video
ESI Juli Audio/Envy24 Processor
CD RW

I am trying to add this Ram:
[1] 512 Kingston 3200/400 unbuffered from Frys Electronics

1st attempt:
computer reboots just before reaching desktop.
On 3rd reboot, computer reaches desktop but a
registry file prompt says XP had to restore a
file that was missing/corrupt.
Subsequent RESTART - all docs on desktop are missing
I then restore to previous days XP and remove
Kingston Ram. System returns and runs as normal

2nd attempt:
Put Kingston Ram in right slot [of 3] leaving center empty.
Near same results of rebooting before reaching desktop.
Try remaining combinations of Ram/slots - no change.
Return Ram to Frys and inquire about campatability of
Corsair

and Kingston sticks - told they are compatable and acquire

replacement Kingston stick.

3rd attempt:
No change from previous conditions.
Removed original Corsair and reboot with only new Kingston.
Computer runs normally.

I am no tech :) but have exhausted my understanding of how to proceed and,
of course welcome any suggestions.
Thanks
-Tony

Keep the newest RAM in the first slot (0) . Try placing the older RAM into the next slot.
See if XP runs normally.
It may well be that the 2 different sticks are just different enough to make a difference to the touch XP.

It is best practice to get RAM sticks from same manufacturer, and from the same batch.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"azcrawler" wrote
> I built a :
> P4 2.5 /Windows XP Professional
> Motherboard - EliteGroup L4VXA2 rev 1.0
> VIA Chipset Apollo PX400 [current update]
> VT8754 Northbridge / VT 8235Southbridge
> Phoenis Award Bios [current]
> Corsair 512 3200/400 unbuffered [1]
> 3 memory slots/12 gig total capability
> 80 gig HDD
> GeForce 4 Ti4200/128 Video
> ESI Juli Audio/Envy24 Processor
> CD RW
>

> I am trying to add this Ram:
> [1] 512 Kingston 3200/400 unbuffered from Frys Electronics
>
> 1st attempt:
> computer reboots just before reaching desktop.
> On 3rd reboot, computer reaches desktop but a
> registry file prompt says XP had to restore a
> file that was missing/corrupt.
> Subsequent RESTART - all docs on desktop are missing
> I then restore to previous days XP and remove
> Kingston Ram. System returns and runs as normal
>
> 2nd attempt:
> Put Kingston Ram in right slot [of 3] leaving center empty.
> Near same results of rebooting before reaching desktop.
> Try remaining combinations of Ram/slots - no change.
> Return Ram to Frys and inquire about campatability of
> Corsair
>
> and Kingston sticks - told they are compatable and acquire
>

> replacement Kingston stick.
>
> 3rd attempt:
> No change from previous conditions.
> Removed original Corsair and reboot with only new Kingston.
> Computer runs normally.
>
> I am no tech :) but have exhausted my understanding of how to proceed and,
> of course welcome any suggestions.
> Thanks
> -Tony

....thanks Maurice - I did try all combinations, but will try yours again.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Keep the newest RAM in the first slot (0) . Try placing the older RAM into the next slot.
> See if XP runs normally.
> It may well be that the 2 different sticks are just different enough to make a difference to the touch XP.
>
> It is best practice to get RAM sticks from same manufacturer, and from the same batch.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> "azcrawler" wrote
> > I built a :
> > P4 2.5 /Windows XP Professional
> > Motherboard - EliteGroup L4VXA2 rev 1.0
> > VIA Chipset Apollo PX400 [current update]
> > VT8754 Northbridge / VT 8235Southbridge
> > Phoenis Award Bios [current]
> > Corsair 512 3200/400 unbuffered [1]
> > 3 memory slots/12 gig total capability
> > 80 gig HDD
> > GeForce 4 Ti4200/128 Video
> > ESI Juli Audio/Envy24 Processor
> > CD RW
> >

> > I am trying to add this Ram:
> > [1] 512 Kingston 3200/400 unbuffered from Frys Electronics
> >
> > 1st attempt:
> > computer reboots just before reaching desktop.
> > On 3rd reboot, computer reaches desktop but a
> > registry file prompt says XP had to restore a
> > file that was missing/corrupt.
> > Subsequent RESTART - all docs on desktop are missing
> > I then restore to previous days XP and remove
> > Kingston Ram. System returns and runs as normal
> >
> > 2nd attempt:
> > Put Kingston Ram in right slot [of 3] leaving center empty.
> > Near same results of rebooting before reaching desktop.
> > Try remaining combinations of Ram/slots - no change.
> > Return Ram to Frys and inquire about campatability of
> > Corsair
> >
> > and Kingston sticks - told they are compatable and acquire
> >

> > replacement Kingston stick.
> >
> > 3rd attempt:
> > No change from previous conditions.
> > Removed original Corsair and reboot with only new Kingston.
> > Computer runs normally.
> >
> > I am no tech :) but have exhausted my understanding of how to proceed and,
> > of course welcome any suggestions.
> > Thanks
> > -Tony

I'd get rid of that flunky motherboard and get an MSI.

"azcrawler" <azcrawler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> registry file prompt says XP had to restore a
> file that was missing/corrupt.
> Subsequent RESTART - all docs on desktop are missing
> I then restore to previous days XP and remove
> Kingston Ram. System returns and runs as normal
>
> 2nd attempt:
> Put Kingston Ram in right slot [of 3] leaving center empty.
> Near same results of rebooting before reaching desktop.
> Try remaining combinations of Ram/slots - no change.
> Return Ram to Frys and inquire about campatability of
>Corsair
>
> and Kingston sticks - told they are compatable and acquire
>

> replacement Kingston stick.
>
> 3rd attempt:
> No change from previous conditions.
> Removed original Corsair and reboot with only new Kingston.
> Computer runs normally.
>
> I am no tech :) but have exhausted my understanding of how to proceed and,

RAM from different manufacturers or even from the same manufacturer
but different production lots can have internal differences in the
material composition and/or the internal layout of the memory chips.
These differences can affect the strength and timing of the signals
returned from the RAM and Windows is sensitive to these differences.

Your results, where both modules work 100% when installed by
themselves but there are problems when the two modules are installed
together is a classic example of this situation.

There is no cure or work-around other than replacing one of the
modules so that you have two identical modules (KIngston or Corsair,
in your case).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thank you Ron and Nog. It is unanimous online and off...even compatable
memory cannot be guaranteed compatable.
- Tony