ATARI Batman PCB issues

I have an ATARI batman PCB that used to work great. For some reason
after it has been on for a while, (about ten min. at the most) the
screen turns bright yellow and stays that way until you leave it for a
day or so. Sometimes when I turn it on I get a bunch of colored squares
on the screen. if I leave it on for a while, in the yellow screen,
sometimes it will reboot and go back into game mode but will eventually
revert back to the yellow screen. I have checked the IC's and they seem
to be seated fine, wondering if it could be something else? I have
plugged my Rampart in to the same cabinet and it works fine so I think
I can rule out a power supply problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

-Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about atari batman issues

    OK, first of all, you shouldn't be leaving your games on for "a day or
    so". That's just asking for trouble. Let's say something goes and you
    don't catch it for "a day or so"... that's a long time for a game to
    sit in a faulted state, possibly causing more damage to the PCB,
    monitor... who knows, the thing could even catch fire on you. Good
    rule of thumb, turn them on when you play them, off when you don't.

    I've been known to leave my games on for a while for parties, my kids,
    etc., but not totally unattended. I'll make sure to check on them
    every once in a while (especially the historically troublesome games)
    and am often glad that I do...

    That being said, check your +5VDC on the board... something could be
    dragging it down, preventing it from running... and some boards are
    more particular about 5V than others.

    Also feel all the chips with a finger... if any are getting REAL hot,
    that's a problem.

    Rob

    Rob Carroll wrote:

    > That being said, check your +5VDC on the board... something could be
    > dragging it down, preventing it from running... and some boards are
    > more particular about 5V than others.

    I agree with Rob - slight +/- in voltages can cause odd things to
    happen. I bought a working MK1 PCB off of eBay and it arrived this
    weekend. Pics in the auction show everything running great. Seller
    has great feedback. Plug it in and it passes self test, makes it to
    the title screen, and then all of the graphics turn into garble and the
    board resets after a few seconds back into test mode and the cycle
    repeats. I pulled my hair out for 20-25 minutes reseating chips,
    checking this and that before it dawned on me to check my voltages.
    Seems that the +5v was just a bit too high - once I dialed this down a
    bit, the board came right back to life and now is perfect.

    -Steve P.

    Interesting story.... I didn't get a chance to check the voltage last
    night, still working on the Tempest. But I will do it today and see
    what I get. Thanks.

    -Dave

    OK, I checked the voltage to the game and it was set to 4.99 so I
    adjusted it up to 5.02 no change on the game, still goes to a yellow
    screen. While I was working with it, I noticed that motion would cause
    the game to react. I am starting to think that it could be a lose
    connection or a broken trace causing the problem. I separated the audio
    board from the game board and checked all of the IC's. Didn't change
    anything, still have the problem. If it's a bad trace, how can I locate
    it? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks, -Dave

    I still haven't found the problem with this PCB, any one have some
    suggestions for me to try? Will it hurt anything to run the game
    without the audio board attached? Maybe if I can get the same problem
    without that second board I can start to narrow the problem down.
    Thanks,

    -Dave

    Out of all the game hardware out there, and all the possibilities for
    your situation nobody's gonna just up and tell you "Go here and look
    for this chip, change it"

    But a thermal situation seems probable. So order or buy yourself a can
    of "freeze spray"

    Get a mirror or a helper to stand in front of the game, turn it on and
    wait until the screen goes apeshit on ya. When it does (use the little
    tube with the can) pinpoint spray a little freeze spray on each chip on
    the board and look for a change in behaviour. When you get one try it a
    few times until it has been verified the culprit.

    Then mark it with a dot of red nailpolish near the egde so you don't
    cover up the numbers on the chip and get back to replacing it when you
    can.

    Best of luck.

    - Matt
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Did you check the voltage while it was under load? I understand you
    may realize this, but I thought I would point it out just in case..
    Sometimes when people check voltage, they unplug the power supply from
    the game boards, and then meter the power supply output. What they
    really need to do is check the voltage somewhere on the game board and
    see if anything on board is dragging the voltage low..

    You might also want to check for a cold solder joint somewhere on your
    board, especially near the external connections.

    Good luck,

    Jude

Games Atari Video Games