Help needed with Remote Assistance and Windows Help files

May 15, 2005 6:52:40 PM

My brother's computer started refusing to open help files. Some research
indicated we needed to replace the file hh.exe but when I sent him a copy
of mine, his computer would not allow him to open it. He got security
warnings that said he couldn't open the attachment etc. etc.

So we tried Remote Assistance which we have always been able to do in the
past. We are using instant messenger applications to issue the remote
assistance call. He invites me to help and I start to get his desktop then
get disconnected and a message that he had denied the remote assistance.

We have gone through blocking and unblocking to no avail.

He turned off his firewall. No help.

He did a system restore back to March 12, 2005 and it still won't work.

To complicate things a little bit, he is in Kansas City and I'm in Phoenix
which means I can't use sneakernet to take him a new copy of the hh.exe.

So we need help on 2 things. How to get his Remote Assistance to quit
denying me and how to get his Windows Help Files working again. If he
clicks on Start and Help and Support nothing happens. Other programs help
files don't work either. I have a sneaking suspicion the two problems may
be related.

All help / assitance / solutions / dirty jokes appreciated :)
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:57:34 PM

See Kelly's XP Korner , for section on Help and Support update.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User