System restore disappeared please help

Every time I try to use restore ,I get a message System Restore is not able
to protect your computer.Please restart your computer & then run system
restore again. Any help PLEASE it's driving me mad.
6 answers Last reply
More about system restore disappeared help

    Hi,

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
    Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
    the page below along with any other error message generated by System
    Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Botlocks wrote:
    > Every time I try to use restore ,I get a message System
    > Restore is not able to protect your computer.Please
    > restart your computer & then run system restore again.
    > Any help PLEASE it's driving me mad.

    Hello Bert

    Many thanks for your post ,I followed the instructions given ie.I made sure
    Task Scheduler and System Restore Service were both set to run Automatic.As
    well as the message I get when trying to use Restore is that the System
    Restore tab is missing from My Computer Properties Menu .It's as if system
    restore no longer exists on my computer. Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Kind Regards

    Bob

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
    > Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
    > the page below along with any other error message generated by System
    > Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    > System Restore Failures to restore:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Botlocks wrote:
    > > Every time I try to use restore ,I get a message System
    > > Restore is not able to protect your computer.Please
    > > restart your computer & then run system restore again.
    > > Any help PLEASE it's driving me mad.

    Hi Bob,

    This should get the System Restore tab back.
    Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy

    There is a good chance this was caused by virus or malware infection.
    Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very
    well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
    parasites, malware and the like.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

    And tips on keeping System Restore Healthy
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/healthy.html

    --

    Bob D wrote:
    > Hello Bert
    >
    > Many thanks for your post ,I followed the instructions
    > given ie.I made sure Task Scheduler and System Restore
    > Service were both set to run Automatic.As well as the
    > message I get when trying to use Restore is that the
    > System Restore tab is missing from My Computer Properties
    > Menu .It's as if system restore no longer exists on my
    > computer. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
    >> Windows XP. Please post the event information from Event
    >> Viewer as suggested in the page below along with any
    >> other error message generated by System Restore. This
    >> will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    >> System Restore Failures to restore:
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Botlocks wrote:
    >>> Every time I try to use restore ,I get a message System
    >>> Restore is not able to protect your computer.Please
    >>> restart your computer & then run system restore again.
    >>> Any help PLEASE it's driving me mad.

    Hello Bert
    I followed the instructions on the link but found the following in regeit

    HKey Local Machine\software\policies\microsoft\windowsNT ,then there was an
    empty subfoldercalled Terminal Service but no sign of a folder called system
    restore.

    Kind Regards

    Bob D

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > This should get the System Restore tab back.
    > Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >
    > There is a good chance this was caused by virus or malware infection.
    > Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very
    > well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
    > parasites, malware and the like.
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html
    >
    > And tips on keeping System Restore Healthy
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/healthy.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Bob D wrote:
    > > Hello Bert
    > >
    > > Many thanks for your post ,I followed the instructions
    > > given ie.I made sure Task Scheduler and System Restore
    > > Service were both set to run Automatic.As well as the
    > > message I get when trying to use Restore is that the
    > > System Restore tab is missing from My Computer Properties
    > > Menu .It's as if system restore no longer exists on my
    > > computer. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Kind Regards
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
    > >> Windows XP. Please post the event information from Event
    > >> Viewer as suggested in the page below along with any
    > >> other error message generated by System Restore. This
    > >> will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    > >> System Restore Failures to restore:
    > >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

    Hi Bob,

    Use the registry tweak at Kelly's site on line 278 left side.

    Bob D wrote:
    > Hello Bert
    > I followed the instructions on the link but found the
    > following in regeit
    >
    > HKey Local Machine\software\policies\microsoft\windowsNT
    > ,then there was an empty subfoldercalled Terminal Service
    > but no sign of a folder called system restore.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Bob D
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bob,
    >>
    >> This should get the System Restore tab back.
    >> Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >>
    >> There is a good chance this was caused by virus or
    >> malware infection. Here is a combination of utilities
    >> that I have found that works very well in the removal
    >> and prevention of virus infection, spyware, parasites,
    >> malware and the like.
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html
    >>
    >> And tips on keeping System Restore Healthy
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/healthy.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> Bob D wrote:
    >>> Hello Bert
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your post ,I followed the instructions
    >>> given ie.I made sure Task Scheduler and System Restore
    >>> Service were both set to run Automatic.As well as the
    >>> message I get when trying to use Restore is that the
    >>> System Restore tab is missing from My Computer
    >>> Properties Menu .It's as if system restore no longer
    >>> exists on my computer. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Kind Regards
    >>>
    >>> Bob

  6. Change the following Dword value in registry to get back, System Restore at System Properties...

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
    \CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
    "DisableSR"=dword:00000001

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP