Killer Instinct Question

Hi all. I am a big KI fan myself. Don't own one as of yet, but I plan
to. Just wondering why after 11 years, the boards still fetch 200+. I
especially don't understand this when anyone w/ a computer can
faithfully reproduce a working hard drive to replace the old failure
prone ones. Just got to thinking about that after I did a search for
one earlier. TIA.

Robert

This probably doesn't answer your question, but figuring that a working
KI in good shape fetches $500+, that alone is going to keep the cost of
the board up. Also, if it is testing and working with the hard drive,
thats more hardware. Sure, you could put your own drive in there, but
then you're just using your own cash (or spare parts) to offset the
sale. And I believe you need a certain romset to use a different drive
(don't quote me on that).

I have a question about KI that you maybe able to help me with.
How does Killer Instinct compare to Mortal Kombat (any version)?

Just wondering as I haven't played KI.

thanks,

Brent
<rcecil@chartercom.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I am a big KI fan myself. Don't own one as of yet, but I plan
> to. Just wondering why after 11 years, the boards still fetch 200+. I
> especially don't understand this when anyone w/ a computer can
> faithfully reproduce a working hard drive to replace the old failure
> prone ones. Just got to thinking about that after I did a search for
> one earlier. TIA.
>
> Robert

Hard to compare them, I like them both very much. I would take a MK
over a KI any day, but they are neck and neck. I use to play them till
my fingers almost had blisters on them. :+)

Yes, I agree if were talking MK1 to KI1, I would take a KI1, but if you
have a UMK3 vs a KI1 or 2, well UMK3 wins, atleast for me. Never did
care much for MK4. Dont like the 3D movements as much.

yeah, you definately need an updated boot ROM in order to use the 3.5"
HD instead of the old laptop drives that originally came with the
game.

That being said, if you can get your own hard drive, boot ROM, 3.5" to
2.5" HD IDE cable converter, and power supply cables for the HD, then
all you would need is the main PCB board. This would not cost $200.
They usually go on ebay for about $85 - $100 (board only)

On 23 May 2005 12:06:05 -0700, tomcariello@gmail.com wrote:

>This probably doesn't answer your question, but figuring that a working
>KI in good shape fetches $500+, that alone is going to keep the cost of
>the board up. Also, if it is testing and working with the hard drive,
>thats more hardware. Sure, you could put your own drive in there, but
>then you're just using your own cash (or spare parts) to offset the
>sale. And I believe you need a certain romset to use a different drive
>(don't quote me on that).

Hmm, I always thought MK2 was the best of the series (and would be my
first pick for an MK game, but still not before I got KI). The
computer fighters seemed too cheap in MK3 upward. I agree that the 3-D
of MK4 killed the series.