Re: ATI HDTV Wonder

Athaclena

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
With regards to the new ATI HDTV Card, reviewed here:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/video/20040917/index.html

I don't know why anyone would spend their money on this.

I've owned a VisionPlus DVB-t card for almost six months now, and have been enjoying perfect HDTV reception (including Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound) the whole time. It costs a whole lot less, and works perfectly with my GeForce4 Ti4200 as well...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Got a link to the manufacturers page?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Athaclena

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
It's made by Twinhan, their website is at:

http://www.twinhan.com/

Also, homepage for the third-party DigitalWatch software:

http://nate.dynalias.net/DigitalWatch/

Interesting enough neither of those sites show US dealers. The US link to the 'where to buy' take you to Australia, like so many of the other countries listed. Seems limited to AUstralia, Germany and the UK for the most part, meanting non-North American standards.

And many list DTV, not HDTV, which are very different formats. If it's PAL, there is NO equivalent HDTV standard. Highest pall involves refresh boost from 50hz to 100hz, not the same 1080i or even 720p.

Show me where someone says this card works in North America with a North American signal, and that it's showing true HDTV and not simply DTV or EDTV.

As for the review the manual says DX9, and they use a GF4ti? Heck it's not even DX8.1, why not try an R9200 to test a theory? Instead they wonder why it doesn't work with one of the most driver conflicting series of cards out there. They should've tried another DX9 setup, like a GMA900, or an XGI card, or even a good quality DX8 card in the Matrox Parhelia.

In any case, I'd like to see anywhere that confirms your card truely displaying a US (or even Canadian) HDTV off-air singal properly, all the reviews out there that I found are based on EURO examples which are useless.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't have an HDTV antena, doesn't ATI include one?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, how about just calling it a digital TV antena for free-to-air HDTV? Tom's showed a picture in an older article (probably the HDTV-Wonder preview) and I'm fairly certain they said it was included with their ATI card.

What you can't make an HDTV antenna with some juicy fruit wrappers and an ebonite rod!?! :lol:

Yeah it comes with a cheap one, <A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/video/20040917/hdtv-01.html" target="_new">which is mentioned in the review</A>, but I'd prefer to mount it on a remote turned base with a memory function. (ABC @ 177degree SSE, NBC @ 183SSW, CBC @ 097ESE and CITY TV @ 277 WNW). Having to do it manually SUX! Maybe move 20 miles north of the city and then everything will be 180South! :evil:

Are there NO omni-directional ones?

BTW, no F'in off-air HDTV in Calgary! ATI's site even has this caveat (despite alot of HDTV in Toronto [their home region]);
<i>"

Buy Now (US Only)

Information for Canadian customers - Currently the HDTV WONDER™ is not being offered in Canada. The product is designed to receive over-the-air HDTV broadcasts which, although widely available throughout the United States, are not available in many parts of Canada. ATI will continue to evaluate the availability of terrestrial HDTV broadcasts throughout Canada and hopes to offer the HDTV WONDER™ for sale when the market is sufficiently developed.

"</i>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 09/20/04 08:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

OK, how about just calling it a digital TV antena for free-to-air HDTV?
Yeah I know, have they actually starting using the free-to-air HDTV in any areas?

Nothing where I live at the moment. Of course I live out in the middle of nowhere.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm...Tonto! I would like an automatically adjustable antena designed for external use on a vehicle.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I live right in the middle of everywhere. On one side there's Grand Rapids, on the other is Saginaw, to the south is Lansing, and the major broadcaster for Northern Michigan is in Cadilac...I only need an antena that can pick up a signal from around 80 miles away.

I went to a wedding near Saginaw (just a little north west).

I get detroit off the Digital cable, and Boston of the Dish, but I'd love to get HDTV locally so I don't need to buy a new box for my room too. Still waiting for enough programming, but it's getting close. The 2006 winter Olympics will FORCE me to pay the $10/mth extra for HD, and make me get a new receiver or two (one for Sat one for Cable probably).

Personally I think you'd do OK with the provided antenna, but really the lazy susan is the LEAST I could stand for having to keep moving it!