Windows shows wrong hard disk (hdd) size. Every HDD is lim..

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 15, 2005 8:13:17 PM

Hello,

I am having a strange problem. I searched all the web and can't find any
solution to this problem. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it.
So, here it goes:

I have 2 HDD. Disk 0, and Disk 1 which I partitioned with "Disk Manager"
(Windows XP).

Disk 0 is partitioned: C(3.9 GB), E (11.72 GB), F(12.32 GB)
Disk 1 is partitioned: D(15.63GB), H(9.53GB), M(2.8GB)

This information is OK and I can accept small differences between
manufacturers "size" and "software" size because of different standards.
Disk 0 + Disk 1 should be approx. 60 GB (30 GB each one).

When I do "chkdsk", the information is displayed correctly, too.

The problem is Windows Explorer. When I click MyPC and try to see the amount
of total disk space I have in each drive, it is displayed wrong. VERY WRONG.

The TOTAL DISK SPACE of:
a) Disk C (real: 3.9GB) is displayed as: 3.9 GB (that's OK)
b) Disk D (real 15.63GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong!)
c) Disk E (real: 11.72GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong, too!)
d) Disk F (real: 12.32GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (again 5.00 GB??)
e) Disk H (real: 9.53GB) is displayed again as 5.00 GB
f) Disk M (real: 2.80 GB) is displayed OK as 2.79 GB (small difference of
aprox., this doesn't matter)

So, when looking at this I suppose that there is some LIMIT for Windows
Explorer (or at least some part of Windows, but not Disk Manager) for
recognizing the total space of a hard disk (hdd) greater that 5 GB.

This is a new problem. I didn't had this problem before. I really don't
remember when this problem begun, but this was long ago. I really didn't
notice at first, but now, it's a problem I wan to fix.

Anyone? Some help? Someone to point me in the right direction maybe?

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. The HDD are Quantum
Fireball. Each of approx. 30 GB. The BIOS reads the size correctly, too.

Thank you!

Greetings,

Ricardo Toma

More about : windows shows wrong hard disk hdd size hdd lim

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:16:12 AM

OK. Nobody but myself found the right answer to this problem. I will write
it here, so, if someone has the same problem, he can find the solution
(hopefully) here.

Somewhere, strange (very strange!) the disk quotas were activated at 5 GB.
That was it. Just change the disk quotas...

"Ricardo Toma" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having a strange problem. I searched all the web and can't find any
> solution to this problem. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it.
> So, here it goes:
>
> I have 2 HDD. Disk 0, and Disk 1 which I partitioned with "Disk Manager"
> (Windows XP).
>
> Disk 0 is partitioned: C(3.9 GB), E (11.72 GB), F(12.32 GB)
> Disk 1 is partitioned: D(15.63GB), H(9.53GB), M(2.8GB)
>
> This information is OK and I can accept small differences between
> manufacturers "size" and "software" size because of different standards.
> Disk 0 + Disk 1 should be approx. 60 GB (30 GB each one).
>
> When I do "chkdsk", the information is displayed correctly, too.
>
> The problem is Windows Explorer. When I click MyPC and try to see the amount
> of total disk space I have in each drive, it is displayed wrong. VERY WRONG.
>
> The TOTAL DISK SPACE of:
> a) Disk C (real: 3.9GB) is displayed as: 3.9 GB (that's OK)
> b) Disk D (real 15.63GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong!)
> c) Disk E (real: 11.72GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong, too!)
> d) Disk F (real: 12.32GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (again 5.00 GB??)
> e) Disk H (real: 9.53GB) is displayed again as 5.00 GB
> f) Disk M (real: 2.80 GB) is displayed OK as 2.79 GB (small difference of
> aprox., this doesn't matter)
>
> So, when looking at this I suppose that there is some LIMIT for Windows
> Explorer (or at least some part of Windows, but not Disk Manager) for
> recognizing the total space of a hard disk (hdd) greater that 5 GB.
>
> This is a new problem. I didn't had this problem before. I really don't
> remember when this problem begun, but this was long ago. I really didn't
> notice at first, but now, it's a problem I wan to fix.
>
> Anyone? Some help? Someone to point me in the right direction maybe?
>
> I am using Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. The HDD are Quantum
> Fireball. Each of approx. 30 GB. The BIOS reads the size correctly, too.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ricardo Toma

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:31:42 AM

Ricardo Toma <Ricardo Toma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Disk 0 is partitioned: C(3.9 GB), E (11.72 GB), F(12.32 GB)
>Disk 1 is partitioned: D(15.63GB), H(9.53GB), M(2.8GB)

If you partition the second drive (disk1) as all an extended
partition, with no primary partition, you would not have the 'odd'
disk letters. D drive would be the second partition on drive 0 instead
of the first partion on drive 1. Drive 1's first drive letter would be
the next one after the end of drive 0. Hope this makes sense.
May 18, 2005 1:58:25 AM

Hello Ricardo,

Are your HD formatted in NFTS ? See MS Article 315688
How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/315688

It may give you some possible areas to look into.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ricardo Toma" wrote
> Hello,
>
> I am having a strange problem. I searched all the web and can't find any
> solution to this problem. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it.
> So, here it goes:
>
> I have 2 HDD. Disk 0, and Disk 1 which I partitioned with "Disk Manager"
> (Windows XP).
>
> Disk 0 is partitioned: C(3.9 GB), E (11.72 GB), F(12.32 GB)
> Disk 1 is partitioned: D(15.63GB), H(9.53GB), M(2.8GB)
>
> This information is OK and I can accept small differences between
> manufacturers "size" and "software" size because of different standards.
> Disk 0 + Disk 1 should be approx. 60 GB (30 GB each one).
>
> When I do "chkdsk", the information is displayed correctly, too.
>
> The problem is Windows Explorer. When I click MyPC and try to see the amount
> of total disk space I have in each drive, it is displayed wrong. VERY WRONG.
>
> The TOTAL DISK SPACE of:
> a) Disk C (real: 3.9GB) is displayed as: 3.9 GB (that's OK)
> b) Disk D (real 15.63GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong!)
> c) Disk E (real: 11.72GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (that's wrong, too!)
> d) Disk F (real: 12.32GB) is displayed as: 5.00 GB (again 5.00 GB??)
> e) Disk H (real: 9.53GB) is displayed again as 5.00 GB
> f) Disk M (real: 2.80 GB) is displayed OK as 2.79 GB (small difference of
> aprox., this doesn't matter)
>
> So, when looking at this I suppose that there is some LIMIT for Windows
> Explorer (or at least some part of Windows, but not Disk Manager) for
> recognizing the total space of a hard disk (hdd) greater that 5 GB.
>
> This is a new problem. I didn't had this problem before. I really don't
> remember when this problem begun, but this was long ago. I really didn't
> notice at first, but now, it's a problem I wan to fix.
>
> Anyone? Some help? Someone to point me in the right direction maybe?
>
> I am using Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. The HDD are Quantum
> Fireball. Each of approx. 30 GB. The BIOS reads the size correctly, too.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ricardo Toma

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:16:04 AM

I see you have found your problem.
Here's 1 more for the record.
How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814594

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User