No Help Files

I am unable to access help files in any of my programs. The computer is a
VAIO, need I say more? It just went out of warranty two months ago and of
course there is no Windows XP cd to reload from. I have no clue why I cannot
use the help feature in any program. This is quite frustrating.
11 answers Last reply
More about files

    Are they .HTM or .CHM files?
    What's the error message you see in the screen?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am unable to access help files in any of my programs. The computer is a
    > VAIO, need I say more? It just went out of warranty two months ago and of
    > course there is no Windows XP cd to reload from. I have no clue why I
    > cannot
    > use the help feature in any program. This is quite frustrating.

    Ramesh,
    I need to clarify I think. In my programs like FrontPage, Corel, Wilcom,
    etc. (I have lots of programs ;) when you click on the little help button in
    the top bar to access information without digging out the books, nothing
    comes up. Corel doesn't even bring up a help box. FrontPage brings up a box
    with the assistant, but nothing shows up when you type or search. All my
    programs act the same when it comes to the help part, so it's not the
    programs, it's XP. I very rarely use this feature, but every now and then
    you just don't want to dig out the instruction manuals and it's quick
    information. What really frustrates me is that I have no cd from which to
    reload my Windows XP program. This computer came with NOTHING but a sales
    receipt and a few papers. I have no way of knowing if they are .htm or .chm
    files. The programs work fine otherwise. Just no help files. Even in
    Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely nothing
    happens.
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Are they .HTM or .CHM files?
    > What's the error message you see in the screen?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am unable to access help files in any of my programs. The computer is a
    > > VAIO, need I say more? It just went out of warranty two months ago and of
    > > course there is no Windows XP cd to reload from. I have no clue why I
    > > cannot
    > > use the help feature in any program. This is quite frustrating.

    >> Even in Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely
    >> nothing happens.

    Does Explorer contain a help button? Am I missing something here/

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > I need to clarify I think. In my programs like FrontPage, Corel, Wilcom,
    > etc. (I have lots of programs ;) when you click on the little help button
    > in
    > the top bar to access information without digging out the books, nothing
    > comes up. Corel doesn't even bring up a help box. FrontPage brings up a
    > box
    > with the assistant, but nothing shows up when you type or search. All my
    > programs act the same when it comes to the help part, so it's not the
    > programs, it's XP. I very rarely use this feature, but every now and then
    > you just don't want to dig out the instruction manuals and it's quick
    > information. What really frustrates me is that I have no cd from which to
    > reload my Windows XP program. This computer came with NOTHING but a sales
    > receipt and a few papers. I have no way of knowing if they are .htm or
    > .chm
    > files. The programs work fine otherwise. Just no help files. Even in
    > Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely nothing
    > happens.
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Are they .HTM or .CHM files?
    >> What's the error message you see in the screen?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am unable to access help files in any of my programs. The computer is
    >> > VAIO, need I say more? It just went out of warranty two months ago and
    >> > of
    >> > course there is no Windows XP cd to reload from. I have no clue why I
    >> > cannot
    >> > use the help feature in any program. This is quite frustrating.

    Ramesh,
    Absolutely nothing happens. There is a help button in almost everyprogram.
    Even in Internet Explorer. When I click on them, NOTHING happens. No menu,
    no index, just like I never clicked in the first place.
    applik

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> Even in Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely
    > >> nothing happens.
    >
    > Does Explorer contain a help button? Am I missing something here/
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ramesh,
    > > I need to clarify I think. In my programs like FrontPage, Corel, Wilcom,
    > > etc. (I have lots of programs ;) when you click on the little help button
    > > in
    > > the top bar to access information without digging out the books, nothing
    > > comes up. Corel doesn't even bring up a help box. FrontPage brings up a
    > > box
    > > with the assistant, but nothing shows up when you type or search. All my
    > > programs act the same when it comes to the help part, so it's not the
    > > programs, it's XP. I very rarely use this feature, but every now and then
    > > you just don't want to dig out the instruction manuals and it's quick
    > > information. What really frustrates me is that I have no cd from which to
    > > reload my Windows XP program. This computer came with NOTHING but a sales
    > > receipt and a few papers. I have no way of knowing if they are .htm or
    > > .chm
    > > files. The programs work fine otherwise. Just no help files. Even in
    > > Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely nothing
    > > happens.
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are they .HTM or .CHM files?
    > >> What's the error message you see in the screen?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    applik,

    > That is what is missing. Everything that should be listed in the
    > help menus is not there in any of the programs (not just IE). You
    > can click on the "help" button but nothing happens.

    Here are a few things to try:

    1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    components are properly installed and registered.

    http://helpware.net/downloads/­index.htm#MJs

    The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".

    2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    hidden subdirectory:

    \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    Help

    The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.

    3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet Explorer,
    Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A full TIF
    directory can cause the help files to misbehave.

    4) See the following pages for further guidance on how to resolve
    XP-specific help problems:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    applik,

    I don;t see a help button in IE. But there is a help menu containing these
    sub-menus:

    * Contents and Index
    * Tip of the day
    * For Netscape users
    * Online Support
    * Send Feedback

    Perhaps the "Contents and Index" part is not working for you (not launching
    the help?). I'm asking these much details because it will help me replicate
    the problem in my systems here. That's the way I troubleshoot such issues.

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > Absolutely nothing happens. There is a help button in almost
    > everyprogram.
    > Even in Internet Explorer. When I click on them, NOTHING happens. No
    > menu,
    > no index, just like I never clicked in the first place.
    > applik

    >> Does Explorer contain a help button? Am I missing something here/
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ramesh,
    >> > I need to clarify I think. In my programs like FrontPage, Corel,
    >> > Wilcom,
    >> > etc. (I have lots of programs ;) when you click on the little help
    >> > button
    >> > in
    >> > the top bar to access information without digging out the books,
    >> > nothing
    >> > comes up. Corel doesn't even bring up a help box. FrontPage brings up
    >> > box
    >> > with the assistant, but nothing shows up when you type or search. All
    >> > my
    >> > programs act the same when it comes to the help part, so it's not the
    >> > programs, it's XP. I very rarely use this feature, but every now and
    >> > then
    >> > you just don't want to dig out the instruction manuals and it's quick
    >> > information. What really frustrates me is that I have no cd from which
    >> > reload my Windows XP program. This computer came with NOTHING but a
    >> > sales
    >> > receipt and a few papers. I have no way of knowing if they are .htm or
    >> > .chm
    >> > files. The programs work fine otherwise. Just no help files. Even in
    >> > Windows Explorer. If you click on the help button, absolutely nothing
    >> > happens.

    See if this helps (a couple of years ago this worked for me.)
    Because our systems are very sensitive, occasionally a Help file gets hidden
    off-screen or gets shrunk to nothing.

    Open FrontPage or Internet Explorer (or a program which won't show its Help
    files). Click on the HELP button. You will not get the Help files, but you
    should get a button on the task bar that tells you HELP is open (though not
    seen).

    Minimize the program and any other visible window that's open (don't close
    it). Right-click on the Desktop taskbar's background and select from the
    list, "Tile Windows Vertically" (horizontally might work just as well).
    If this procedure answers your problem, the program(s) and the Help file you
    have already "opened" will be redrawn on the screen.

    It will probably not be necessary to perform this procedure for your other
    programs.

    I don't know if you have to unlock the task bar first or not. Might be a
    good idea. If you do, lock it up again afterward.
    DSG

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > applik,
    >
    > I don;t see a help button in IE. But there is a help menu containing these
    > sub-menus:
    >
    > * Contents and Index
    > * Tip of the day
    > * For Netscape users
    > * Online Support
    > * Send Feedback
    >
    > Perhaps the "Contents and Index" part is not working for you (not launching
    > the help?). I'm asking these much details because it will help me replicate
    > the problem in my systems here. That's the way I troubleshoot such issues.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ramesh,
    > > Absolutely nothing happens. There is a help button in almost
    > > everyprogram.
    > > Even in Internet Explorer. When I click on them, NOTHING happens. No
    > > menu,
    > > no index, just like I never clicked in the first place.
    > > applik

    > >> Does Explorer contain a help button? Am I missing something here/
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "applik" <applik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Pete,
    Thanks so much for your help. Solution #2 did the trick. Renamed the file
    and a new one was created when I used the help file in a program. You were
    right, the old one must have be corrupted somehow. Thanks again.
    applik

    "Pete Lees [MVP]" wrote:

    > applik,
    >
    > > That is what is missing. Everything that should be listed in the
    > > help menus is not there in any of the programs (not just IE). You
    > > can click on the "help" button but nothing happens.
    >
    > Here are a few things to try:
    >
    > 1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    > components are properly installed and registered.
    >
    > http://helpware.net/downloads/­index.htm#MJs
    >
    > The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    > problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".
    >
    > 2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    > hidden subdirectory:
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    > Help
    >
    > The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    > files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    > size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    > misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    > version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
    >
    > 3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet Explorer,
    > Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A full TIF
    > directory can cause the help files to misbehave.
    >
    > 4) See the following pages for further guidance on how to resolve
    > XP-specific help problems:
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Thanks for the tips, Pete.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Pete Lees [MVP]" <PD.Lees@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    applik,

    > That is what is missing. Everything that should be listed in the
    > help menus is not there in any of the programs (not just IE). You
    > can click on the "help" button but nothing happens.

    Here are a few things to try:

    1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    components are properly installed and registered.

    http://helpware.net/downloads/­index.htm#MJs

    The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".

    2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    hidden subdirectory:

    \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    Help

    The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.

    3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet Explorer,
    Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A full TIF
    directory can cause the help files to misbehave.

    4) See the following pages for further guidance on how to resolve
    XP-specific help problems:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Pete,

    Your suggestions to applik provided the final link to re-enabling the .chm
    Help files on my pc (Windows XP SP2). Security Update 896358 and/or 890175
    blocked the Windows Help & Support and Help files for many of my stand alone
    applications. MJ's Help Diagnostics found and registered two .dll files that
    weren't registered properly (itss.dll and itircl.dll).

    I had already done a registry edit per info gleaned from Microsoft articles
    892675 (Example 2) and 896358 (the less conservative approach, with
    MaxAllowedZone set to 2). When that didn't work, I saw your message and tried
    your suggestions 2 and 3. Those didn't fix it, but then I downloaded/ran MJ's
    Help Diagnostics. With everything registered, Windows Help & Support the Help
    files on my pc now work.

    Thanks for your assistance.
    --
    barryh

    "Pete Lees [MVP]" wrote:

    > applik,
    >
    > > That is what is missing. Everything that should be listed in the
    > > help menus is not there in any of the programs (not just IE). You
    > > can click on the "help" button but nothing happens.
    >
    > Here are a few things to try:
    >
    > 1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    > components are properly installed and registered.
    >
    > http://helpware.net/downloads/­index.htm#MJs
    >
    > The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    > problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".
    >
    > 2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    > hidden subdirectory:
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    > Help
    >
    > The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    > files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    > size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    > misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    > version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
    >
    > 3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet Explorer,
    > Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A full TIF
    > directory can cause the help files to misbehave.
    >
    > 4) See the following pages for further guidance on how to resolve
    > XP-specific help problems:
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
    >
    > --