Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP! System Restore gone. *Nothing* brings it back!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:26:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've tried every, and I mean *every* trick I can find online about
turning "System Restore" back on, and *nothing* works! Help!

After cleaning a Trojan attack, I was forced to reinstall Windows (used
Restore, not from scratch). Now SR is gone (no tab). When I try to
launch it manually (from a shortcut), I get: a dialog telling me to
"restart your computer and run System Restore again."

Logged in as Admin from Safe Mode, I've tried:

1. In Admin Tools, under Services, when I try to Start the System
Restore service, I get the message: "Error 5: Access Denied". Denied, to
the Admin???

2. Ran "GPEDIT.MSC" to change Group Policy Setting. "Turn off creation
of System Restore Points" is set to "Not Configured" (as it should be).
I tried Enabling then Disabling it, but it made no difference.

3. I've performed an extensive virus check and anti-AdWare sweep. Both
came up empty. Nothing unusual loading under MS Config's Startup tab.

4. Even tried reactivating System Restore by running rundll32.exe on
"sr.sys" with the "sr.inf" file (that obscure method I found online).

I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? HELP!

--
-*- Bubba -*-
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:46:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I understand you encountered the issue is after cleaning a Trojan attack,
you was forced to reinstall Windows (used
Restore, not from scratch). When you try to launch it manually (from a
shortcut), you get a dialog said
"restart your computer and run System Restore again."

Based on your description and my research, I have found the following
related KB articles and please read them carefully:

303354 Error Message: System Restore Was Unable to Create a Restore Point
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303354

322246 You Cannot Create a Restore Point with a HighPoint Driver Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=322246

You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;329441

"Rundll32.exe entry point not found" error message when you open
My
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;832323

HTH! If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

====================================================================

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

=====================================================================

--------------------
>From: Bubba Gump <a@b.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>Subject: HELP! System Restore gone. *Nothing* brings it back!
>Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 05:26:46 -0000
>Organization: Dis
>Message-ID: <Xns965848A3BE6Dabcom@216.168.3.50>
>User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25
>X-Complaints-To: abuse@supernews.com
>Lines: 28
>Path:
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli
ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.gigan
ews.com!feeder2.on.meganewsservers.com!meganewsservers.com!textfeed1.on.mega
newsservers.com!gail.ripco.com!tdsnet-transit!newspeer.tds.net!news-out.news
tds.net!sn-xit-03!sn-xit-08!sn-post-02!sn-post-01!supernews.com!corp.supern
ews.com!not-for-mail
>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:145164
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>
>I've tried every, and I mean *every* trick I can find online about
>turning "System Restore" back on, and *nothing* works! Help!
>
>After cleaning a Trojan attack, I was forced to reinstall Windows (used
>Restore, not from scratch). Now SR is gone (no tab). When I try to
>launch it manually (from a shortcut), I get: a dialog telling me to
>"restart your computer and run System Restore again."
>
>Logged in as Admin from Safe Mode, I've tried:
>
>1. In Admin Tools, under Services, when I try to Start the System
>Restore service, I get the message: "Error 5: Access Denied". Denied, to
>the Admin???
>
>2. Ran "GPEDIT.MSC" to change Group Policy Setting. "Turn off creation
>of System Restore Points" is set to "Not Configured" (as it should be).
>I tried Enabling then Disabling it, but it made no difference.
>
>3. I've performed an extensive virus check and anti-AdWare sweep. Both
>came up empty. Nothing unusual loading under MS Config's Startup tab.
>
>4. Even tried reactivating System Restore by running rundll32.exe on
>"sr.sys" with the "sr.inf" file (that obscure method I found online).
>
>I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? HELP!
>
>--
> -*- Bubba -*-
>
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

This should take care of it.
Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#Disa...

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Bubba Gump wrote:
> I've tried every, and I mean *every* trick I can find
> online about turning "System Restore" back on, and
> *nothing* works! Help!
>
> After cleaning a Trojan attack, I was forced to reinstall
> Windows (used Restore, not from scratch). Now SR is gone
> (no tab). When I try to launch it manually (from a
> shortcut), I get: a dialog telling me to "restart your
> computer and run System Restore again."
>
> Logged in as Admin from Safe Mode, I've tried:
>
> 1. In Admin Tools, under Services, when I try to Start
> the System Restore service, I get the message: "Error 5:
> Access Denied". Denied, to the Admin???
>
> 2. Ran "GPEDIT.MSC" to change Group Policy Setting. "Turn
> off creation of System Restore Points" is set to "Not
> Configured" (as it should be). I tried Enabling then
> Disabling it, but it made no difference.
>
> 3. I've performed an extensive virus check and
> anti-AdWare sweep. Both came up empty. Nothing unusual
> loading under MS Config's Startup tab.
>
> 4. Even tried reactivating System Restore by running
> rundll32.exe on "sr.sys" with the "sr.inf" file (that
> obscure method I found online).
>
> I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? HELP!
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:10:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your sharing! :-)

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

====================================================================

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

=====================================================================

--------------------
>From: "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
>References: <Xns965848A3BE6Dabcom@216.168.3.50>
>Subject: Re: HELP! System Restore gone. *Nothing* brings it back!
>Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:16:41 -0400
>Lines: 44
>X-Priority: 3
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527
>X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
>Message-ID: <O2L3GsjWFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>NNTP-Posting-Host: fl-71-3-163-185.dyn.sprint-hsd.net 71.3.163.185
>Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:145280
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>
>Hi,
>
>This should take care of it.
>Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
>http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#Disa...
>
>--
>Regards,
>Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>http://dts-l.org/
>
>Bubba Gump wrote:
>> I've tried every, and I mean *every* trick I can find
>> online about turning "System Restore" back on, and
>> *nothing* works! Help!
>>
>> After cleaning a Trojan attack, I was forced to reinstall
>> Windows (used Restore, not from scratch). Now SR is gone
>> (no tab). When I try to launch it manually (from a
>> shortcut), I get: a dialog telling me to "restart your
>> computer and run System Restore again."
>>
>> Logged in as Admin from Safe Mode, I've tried:
>>
>> 1. In Admin Tools, under Services, when I try to Start
>> the System Restore service, I get the message: "Error 5:
>> Access Denied". Denied, to the Admin???
>>
>> 2. Ran "GPEDIT.MSC" to change Group Policy Setting. "Turn
>> off creation of System Restore Points" is set to "Not
>> Configured" (as it should be). I tried Enabling then
>> Disabling it, but it made no difference.
>>
>> 3. I've performed an extensive virus check and
>> anti-AdWare sweep. Both came up empty. Nothing unusual
>> loading under MS Config's Startup tab.
>>
>> 4. Even tried reactivating System Restore by running
>> rundll32.exe on "sr.sys" with the "sr.inf" file (that
>> obscure method I found online).
>>
>> I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? HELP!
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:01:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You're welcome Amanda. Glad to be of help.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/


Amanda Wang [MSFT] wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> Thanks for your sharing! :-)
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Amanda Wang [MSFT]
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>
> ====================================================================
>
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from
> your issue.
>
> =====================================================================
>
> --------------------
>> From: "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
>> References: <Xns965848A3BE6Dabcom@216.168.3.50>
>> Subject: Re: HELP! System Restore gone. *Nothing* brings
>> it back! Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:16:41 -0400
>> Lines: 44
>> X-Priority: 3
>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
>> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527
>> X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
>> Message-ID: <O2L3GsjWFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>> NNTP-Posting-Host: fl-71-3-163-185.dyn.sprint-hsd.net
>> 71.3.163.185 Path:
>> TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
>> Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:145280
>> X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This should take care of it.
>> Can't Access System Restore - Disabled by Group Policy
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#Disa...
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Bubba Gump wrote:
>>> I've tried every, and I mean *every* trick I can find
>>> online about turning "System Restore" back on, and
>>> *nothing* works! Help!
>>>
>>> After cleaning a Trojan attack, I was forced to
>>> reinstall Windows (used Restore, not from scratch). Now
>>> SR is gone (no tab). When I try to launch it manually
>>> (from a shortcut), I get: a dialog telling me to
>>> "restart your computer and run System Restore again."
>>>
>>> Logged in as Admin from Safe Mode, I've tried:
>>>
>>> 1. In Admin Tools, under Services, when I try to Start
>>> the System Restore service, I get the message: "Error 5:
>>> Access Denied". Denied, to the Admin???
>>>
>>> 2. Ran "GPEDIT.MSC" to change Group Policy Setting.
>>> "Turn off creation of System Restore Points" is set to
>>> "Not Configured" (as it should be). I tried Enabling
>>> then Disabling it, but it made no difference.
>>>
>>> 3. I've performed an extensive virus check and
>>> anti-AdWare sweep. Both came up empty. Nothing unusual
>>> loading under MS Config's Startup tab.
>>>
>>> 4. Even tried reactivating System Restore by running
>>> rundll32.exe on "sr.sys" with the "sr.inf" file (that
>>> obscure method I found online).
>>>
>>> I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? HELP!
!