Abandoned Games: What would you do?

Monday I came across two full sized arcade games that were dumped near
the side of an abandoned house. One is a "Lethal Enforcers", and the
other is a "Virtua Fighter 2".

Since I don't have the room, stripping them would be the only option
for me. Because of thier position, I couldn't tell if the "Lethal
Enforcers" had a monitor but the control panel(with red and blue guns)
is complete. And the virtua figher has it's monitor.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet they both had thier boards and other
internal parts, but since I didn't have access to the insides that is
still only a guess.

I don't know if I'd be able to use anything from the games, but the
guns are a possibility. Nevertheless, I really would like to go back
and strip whatever is possible, before the games are taken to a dump,
or the neighborhood kids get to them.(And because of thier location and
the neighborhood, preferrably at night). I'd have to figure out a way
to get the cabinets open.

Anyway, I'd appreciated any ideas. Perhaps there is another collector
in the area who can benefit.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

P.S: Thanks to Verizon's poor service, my e-mail is down(again) until
tomorrow at least, but you can try anyway or look me up in the phone
book. :)

Hey Darren
Where are they located? I can trade you some stuff for the Info
Rob

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> Monday I came across two full sized arcade games that were dumped near
> the side of an abandoned house. One is a "Lethal Enforcers", and the
> other is a "Virtua Fighter 2".
>
> Since I don't have the room, stripping them would be the only option
> for me. Because of thier position, I couldn't tell if the "Lethal
> Enforcers" had a monitor but the control panel(with red and blue guns)
> is complete. And the virtua figher has it's monitor.
>
> If I were a betting man, I'd bet they both had thier boards and other
> internal parts, but since I didn't have access to the insides that is
> still only a guess.
>
> I don't know if I'd be able to use anything from the games, but the
> guns are a possibility. Nevertheless, I really would like to go back
> and strip whatever is possible, before the games are taken to a dump,
> or the neighborhood kids get to them.(And because of thier location and
> the neighborhood, preferrably at night). I'd have to figure out a way
> to get the cabinets open.
>
> Anyway, I'd appreciated any ideas. Perhaps there is another collector
> in the area who can benefit.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
>
> P.S: Thanks to Verizon's poor service, my e-mail is down(again) until
> tomorrow at least, but you can try anyway or look me up in the phone
> book. :)

I actually had a similiar circumstance a few years ago. Every day I
saw this Sea Wolf in the yard of an abonded house. It was not close
enough to the curb to be obvious trash. It was more in the middle of
the yard. After watching it get rained on I had enough and typed up a
note saying that I took the game because I felt they were throwing it
away. I told them that if they wanted it I would return it and how I
just did not want to see the weather destroy it. I even offered to
store it for them to keep the game from being damaged till the rightful
owner came along. Well just when I was about to put the note on the
door I heard someone inside he came and I told him my story. Seems that
it was a rent house and the renters leftt it. Probably what I am
guessing is your situation. He said I could have it for $10 and helped
me load it.
My best advice is to find out who owns it obviously they dont care
anything about them, but you probably need to take the cabinets as a
whole and not strip them.
pics of the $10 Sea Wolf are on my site.
www.timsarcade.net
Tim

I came arcoss a similar situation here in Detroit many years back. A
super Pac was sitting at the curb in a particularly unfriendly part of
the city. My first thought was to just snatch it up during the day,
but I was getting too many suspicious looks to chance it. The solution
was to go EARLY in the morning.. 5-6 AM is the perfect time. The
unsavory characters are usually passed out and/or in bed at that hour,
and you've got a relatively safe chance of getting the games without
hassle.

My suggestion is to plan ahead so you can get them as quick as
possible. Forget about stripping them on-site. Take them to a safe
location and figure what's usable and what's not when you get there.

Judging from the use of the words "dumped" and "abandoned" I would
assume that it has already been determined that the games are
discarded. You must be from a nice neighborhood. In the ghetto you
cannot assume that every house is owned! (At least not by a private
party..) Likewise, there are many municipalities where the cops
wouldn't give a damn what you do (short of setting it on fire) with the
junk that gets dumped on an abandoned property

It looks as though my DSL modem is working again.(At least
temporarily).

Thanks everyone for the advice.

And to Matty-t. I must have missed my, "How to score like a New Yorker"
class. My concern is that there are a lot of nosy kids in the
neighborhood.

There is actually one of those large 25-30 foot dumpsters outside the
front of the house, which might mean a lot of junk in the house is
going to be thrown out. As well as any garbage in the yard.

Anyway, the machines are laying on thier sides. The "Lethal Enoforcers"
appeared to have broken glass inside of it where I guess the monitor is
supposed to be, but as I said, the angle and lighting were not good
enough for me to gather more details.(The "Virtua Fighter" definitely
has it's 26" monitor though). And I don't know what else is inside
these cabs. But I'd hate to see them go to waste.

If it's an issue one can always ask who the owner of the property is.

Rob. e-mail me your e-mail. Or put my info in at "Whitepages.com".

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Staten.islanderNO-SPAM@verizon.net
(Omit "NO-SPAM).

[...]

I'm guessing that would be against the law. I'm assuming SOMEONE owns that
house, and it is on their property. I would think if you were caught, the
police would have every right to arrest you.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> Monday I came across two full sized arcade games that were dumped near
> the side of an abandoned house. One is a "Lethal Enforcers", and the
> other is a "Virtua Fighter 2".
>
> Since I don't have the room, stripping them would be the only option
> for me. Because of thier position, I couldn't tell if the "Lethal
> Enforcers" had a monitor but the control panel(with red and blue guns)
> is complete. And the virtua figher has it's monitor.
>
> If I were a betting man, I'd bet they both had thier boards and other
> internal parts, but since I didn't have access to the insides that is
> still only a guess.
>
> I don't know if I'd be able to use anything from the games, but the
> guns are a possibility. Nevertheless, I really would like to go back
> and strip whatever is possible, before the games are taken to a dump,
> or the neighborhood kids get to them.(And because of thier location and
> the neighborhood, preferrably at night). I'd have to figure out a way
> to get the cabinets open.
>
> Anyway, I'd appreciated any ideas. Perhaps there is another collector
> in the area who can benefit.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
>
> P.S: Thanks to Verizon's poor service, my e-mail is down(again) until
> tomorrow at least, but you can try anyway or look me up in the phone
> book. :)

I assure you every house you see is owned. Just because it isn't a private
party that owns it doensn't make it any more legal. I have games that have
been sitting in my driveway for 6 months. They ain't abandoned. In this
case, he is probably right. I was just making the legal case. I'm not
saying what I would do, or what he should.

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Judging from the use of the words "dumped" and "abandoned" I would
> assume that it has already been determined that the games are
> discarded. You must be from a nice neighborhood. In the ghetto you
> cannot assume that every house is owned! (At least not by a private
> party..) Likewise, there are many municipalities where the cops
> wouldn't give a damn what you do (short of setting it on fire) with the
> junk that gets dumped on an abandoned property

Find out who owns them or the property they are on. If they were stolen and
dumped, or the property owner calls the police, you could have some problems.
LTG :)

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> Monday I came across two full sized arcade games that were dumped near
> the side of an abandoned house. One is a "Lethal Enforcers", and the
> other is a "Virtua Fighter 2".
>
> Since I don't have the room, stripping them would be the only option
> for me. Because of thier position, I couldn't tell if the "Lethal
> Enforcers" had a monitor but the control panel(with red and blue guns)
> is complete. And the virtua figher has it's monitor.
>
> If I were a betting man, I'd bet they both had thier boards and other
> internal parts, but since I didn't have access to the insides that is
> still only a guess.
>
> I don't know if I'd be able to use anything from the games, but the
> guns are a possibility. Nevertheless, I really would like to go back
> and strip whatever is possible, before the games are taken to a dump,
> or the neighborhood kids get to them.(And because of thier location and
> the neighborhood, preferrably at night). I'd have to figure out a way
> to get the cabinets open.
>
> Anyway, I'd appreciated any ideas. Perhaps there is another collector
> in the area who can benefit.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
>
> P.S: Thanks to Verizon's poor service, my e-mail is down(again) until
> tomorrow at least, but you can try anyway or look me up in the phone
> book. :)

my advice: don't steal. it is never worth it.

Harry in Mtl.

I would suggest first calling the police and reporting you have 'found'
or 'discovered' two commercial coin-operated video arcade games at
such-and-such address. It's very possible they may have been stolen
from some game operator's location, coin door pried open, and money
taken. Then the games were dumped. If this is what happened, I'm sure
the operator would be very happy to have his stolen machines back.

I had something similar happen a few years ago...there was a cabinet
sitting in an industrial/commercial area next to a dumpster. I waited
until the store opened, went in and spoke to the manager of the
business, and it wasn't a problem...I was told I could take what I
wanted.

Blaine.

- - -

>Monday I came across two full sized arcade games that were dumped near
>the side of an abandoned house. One is a "Lethal Enforcers", and the
>other is a "Virtua Fighter 2".
>
>Since I don't have the room, stripping them would be the only option
>for me. Because of thier position, I couldn't tell if the "Lethal
>Enforcers" had a monitor but the control panel(with red and blue guns)
>is complete. And the virtua figher has it's monitor.
>
>If I were a betting man, I'd bet they both had thier boards and other
>internal parts, but since I didn't have access to the insides that is
>still only a guess.
>
>I don't know if I'd be able to use anything from the games, but the
>guns are a possibility. Nevertheless, I really would like to go back
>and strip whatever is possible, before the games are taken to a dump,
>or the neighborhood kids get to them.(And because of thier location and
>the neighborhood, preferrably at night). I'd have to figure out a way
>to get the cabinets open.
>
>Anyway, I'd appreciated any ideas. Perhaps there is another collector
>in the area who can benefit.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.
>
>P.S: Thanks to Verizon's poor service, my e-mail is down(again) until
>tomorrow at least, but you can try anyway or look me up in the phone
>book. :)

This is all not going to matter if you wait much longer...they might
already be in the landfill or moisture damaged. You need to get going
one way or the other! Personnaly, I would go by during the day like
others have suggested and try to find someone you can ask what the deal
is. If not, those games are not worth breaking laws over. One last
thought if you really want them....go by and cover them with a tarp
until you can find out more, at least they will be worth something if
you get them. Noone should give you hassle for protecting something
that is not yours. Good luck

I've wondered if picking through garbage is really legal? We have
large item pick-up day twice a year (Tidy Town) and it's become a
festival for scavangers, but this year I saw a Police Cruiser stopped
with it's lights flashing in front of a house that had a couple guys
going through the trash at curbside.

So now I wonder what the deal is? A couple of years back we spotted a
set of dining room chairs at the curb, I didn't feel right just
grabbing them so we knocked on the door. They said that they had a
table which matched so they brought it out of the garage and gave that
to us too. All the chairs needed was some Gorilla glue in their
joints, and we had a nice cherry kitchen table. We bought them a $50
gift card at Lowe's and dropped it off, I think it made their day.

Mike Doyle

picking through the garbage is not legal.

<syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've wondered if picking through garbage is really legal? We have
> large item pick-up day twice a year (Tidy Town) and it's become a
> festival for scavangers, but this year I saw a Police Cruiser stopped
> with it's lights flashing in front of a house that had a couple guys
> going through the trash at curbside.
>
> So now I wonder what the deal is? A couple of years back we spotted a
> set of dining room chairs at the curb, I didn't feel right just
> grabbing them so we knocked on the door. They said that they had a
> table which matched so they brought it out of the garage and gave that
> to us too. All the chairs needed was some Gorilla glue in their
> joints, and we had a nice cherry kitchen table. We bought them a $50
> gift card at Lowe's and dropped it off, I think it made their day.
>
> Mike Doyle

I agree with this advice, if they are garbage the police would probably let
you keep them since i believe picking the garbage is legal in the united
states.

Its unlikely that a collector would dump complete machines, if the person
who dumped them wanted them off their property they probably would have put
a "free" or "take me" sign on them so someone would pick them up quickly.

--
Email me at "iride4899yahoo.com" (insert "@" before yahoo to reply) , my box
is always opened to questions.

"syncbus@gmail.com" <syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in

> I've wondered if picking through garbage is really legal? We have
> large item pick-up day twice a year (Tidy Town) and it's become a
> festival for scavangers, but this year I saw a Police Cruiser stopped
> with it's lights flashing in front of a house that had a couple guys
> going through the trash at curbside.

It depends on the locale. Some places it's legal, and other's it's not.
It also depends a lot on what you're doing. If you're making a huge
mess, legal or not the police will usually take notice.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

thrushguy <garons@comcast.net> wrote:
: Why don't you just drive by during the day and see if you see any workers
: cleaning out the house.

....because he doesn't have a driver's license :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Dude, take a chill pill or get some professional help. You're overly
sensitive to some of the early posts here to your original request
which were pretty benign in nature. Judging by this thread and the
monitor thread, you need to chill out.

Someone makes a statement, you get argumentative and defensive, then
you resort to 4 letter name calling.

It's just games man.

Is there any reason you're still trying to explain yourself to me? Because
honestly.. it doesn't matter. That should have occurred to you long ago.
Nobody cares what you do. Though you do provide some low-grade entertainment
value, so I suppose I shouldn't attempt to discourage you and your antics.

On 25 May 2005 18:15:05 -0700, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>....along with your friends in Bagdad.

Care to elaborate on that?

- Craig

>....along with your friends in Bagdad.

Care to elaborate on that?

- Craig

A roomie of mine once landed a Pac-Man Plus in a similar scenario. Out
in Lake Havasu, AZ he was cruising around and noticed the cab sitting
outside a pizza-parlor, next to one of those hulking BFD dumpsters.
The joint was closed, so he hung out for an hour and a half, and sure
enough the propreitor said, "take it off my hands, by all means." We
dollied it up in the back of his pickup and took it back to his mom's
place. Fired it up, and it worked flawlessly. He still has it, and
plays it like a true virtuoso.

point being, we asked permission prior to making off with it

Jeff