pauldh

Illustrious
If you are like me and haven't yet seen Doom 3 first hand, Hit your favorite Download site and grab the demo released today.

List of mirrors can be found at the official site.
<A HREF="http://www.doom3.com" target="_new">http://www.doom3.com</A>

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 09/20/04 11:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Well at least then you'd have a PERSONAL opinion of it!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
I guess it was officially released yesterday, not today. My usual download sites are slow or at max capacity. I got it from Gamershell. Just finished but took almost 30 minutes.

I will soon be worthy of talking about Doom 3 IYO huh. That's good to know. :wink:

I'm probably about the last person here at THGC to try Doom3. Or at least the last person who has a machine capable of running it and has yet to try it.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Well I was hoping to get the DEMO and see what it offers, if it offers a benchmarking tool as well, then I can link people to it in the Catalyst thread so they can compare, etc. I prefer tests other people can try too, so they can decide if they are worth a damn or not.

I tried to download it from EB yesterday but all servers down, and I'm not about to use my limited bandwidth to add to some other bit torrent item (well for something I already own :evil: ).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
There already have been <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=409019#409019" target="_new">enormous Doom3 tests</A>, though maybe not with 4.9 finals, but sureley with 4.7s, and 4.9betas.

I think you were on vacation then.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

pauldh

Illustrious
I was just researching to see if timedemo will work. I sure hope so as knowing me I'll spend more time running the timedemo than actually playing the demo. I was tempted to try it now, but bed is calling.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

No, I didn't miss anything, I'm in that thread, scroll down, my post to WS is actually right under a reply of yours. I benchmarked it before I left and even added it to Catalyst thread, just to give people an idea of what it did on my setup (which is familiar to many).

I mean making it available to everyone. D3 has a benchmark, but does the Demo? If so I would like to link the demo so others can compare to my set-up and see what the demo stresses for them, and whether they find it worthwhile.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 09/20/04 10:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Sleep well, and dream of scary-assed $h1t that jumps out at ya'! :evil:

I hope it works, I may try downloading it again tonight, gonna leave here in about 15mins.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah thx. Just started playing the demo. Looks very good, but wasn't able to get into it right now as too much work to get done.

Anyway, I can bring up the console, but timedemo demo1 gives a missing map error. I'll have to look around for the missing demo1, or see if I can record my own. I really wanted to use demo1 for comparisons sake.

eden

Champion
They say a demo usually is nicer than the game lately. Would be funny if that's the case with DOOM III, as it's out AFTER the game, so after the opinions settle. :smile:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
Just spent the last hour playing the demo. It's pretty fun, but I'm ready to pack it in for a night.

penus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
someone here in another thread was talking about how doom 3 is kinda boring. i thought it kicked ass when i first started, but it's true that you can only take so much of going from level to level killing the same creatures over and over again at close range with the shotgun. i don't even really dig the game that much anymore, especially since all the levels look the same. i stopped playing after level after level and decided that if i see even so much as one more grey-colored pixel i was gonna fling all 3 cd's into my wall like saw blades. the wall textures aren't even that good looking... look like a 50x50 jpegs stretched out to 200x200 pixels. the monsters are textured very nicely, but the world textures could turn on the shimmer a bit. sure, oldschool doom and doom 2 was the same kill-the-same monsters atmosphere, but at least all the levels were not monotonous. that's my humble opinion for the day.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
id gotto work on their gameplay. They already have proved the superior graphics technology. Hopefully quake 4 and ids next series has more to offer.

I am also downlaoding the doom3 demo. Hope its diff from the main game, I mean not a part of the main game story.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
damn :mad: , i want quake 4 now !! :mad: