Networking Problem

theace18

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2002
Hey Guys,

Question for all you network buffs.

I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router that give myself and 3 other computer in the house access to the internet.

I recently added another PC to collection (to mess around with) and I also want to hook it up to the Internet via cable modem.

I was told that all I need to do is to buy a switch, hook the switch up to my Cable/DSL Router, and I will be fine. However when I hooked up my 5 port switch, I can't get both of my PC's to see the network. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Philippe

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
So you got a router/hub with 3 ports and got a switch for to expand on that?

Do you have the switch hooked up to the router through the uplink port? Not sure if a switch would suite ya best, I've got the same setup but with a hub instead of a switch.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router that give myself and 3 other computer in the house access to the internet.
So you are connecting 4 computers to the internet throught your 4-port router.

I recently added another PC to collection (to mess around with) and I also want to hook it up to the Internet via cable modem.
So you will have a total of 5 pcs to hook up.

I can't get both of my PC's to see the network.
Where are those pcs hooked up? Is it 2/5 that can't access the internet?

If you have an uplink port than hook the switch up to it (with a straigh-thru cable) and hook 2 pcs to your switch and 3 pcs to your router (ports 2,3,4). You can't use the uplink port together with port-1 (either uplink of port-1).

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Not sure if a switch would suite ya best, I've got the same setup but with a hub instead of a switch.
a switch is just a fancy hub (which used to be known as a repeater). The extra feature is not repeating packets indiscriminately out all ports, just the one the MAC address of the destination node is on.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Yes i know what a switch is thanks =). And it could also be that seperating of the network the switch does that is messing him up.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
what has likely happend is your getting the wrong ip address' make sure your are getting 192.168 address' on all 5 computers. or you hooked the switch up wrong. put the switch on the uplink port on the router and make sure you dont have anything on port one of the router.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

TRENDING THREADS