Windows XP Theme disappear following Windows System restore

Over the last 7 days I had some blue screen errors. I attempted 2 system
restores but both failed. A third attempt did restore the system but with one
remaining, niggling, problem: I have lost my Windows XP theme and am stuck
with the Windows Classic theme only.

To be clear, under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Appearance� I’m only offered
Windows Classic style under Windows & Buttosn. Under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES –
Theme� I’m offered My Current Theme, Windows Classic, More themes online &
Browse.

Under Control Panel I’m NOT offered the Appearance & Themes option. Viewing
SERVICES does show that the Themes service is running. I did attempt to stop
and restart this service but this failed with an “Error 1503: Cannot Stop
Service. Service did not stop in a timely fashion�.

Searching the Windows folder for *.theme files there’s only the luna theme
and windows classic theme.

More information: once the system was successfully restored I ran a
successful system file check (sfc). The blue screen error I have resolved was
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.

The system seems to be running well in all other respect.

What I want to do is reinstate APPEARANCE & THEMES under Control Panel and
return the WINDOWS XP theme.

Can anyone help, please?!

PC Details: Windows XP (SP1), AMD ATHLON 2000 (1.67GHz), 512Mb RAM, ATI
RADEON 7000 (latest Catalyst driver)

--
Ian Fidler

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Any luck in finding an answer on this? I've have the same exact problem
and have tried everything and nothing works.

Ian Fidler

"Dude" wrote:

> Any luck in finding an answer on this? I've have the same exact problem
> and have tried everything and nothing works.
>
> Nothing that corrects this specifically. The only advice I've been given is to do a Windows repair using the Windows XP disk. I'm going to try this. If it doesn't work then it'll have to be a full, clean installation. It's a strange error but if you look around these forums it seems Windows is capable of a million different problems!! Good luck!

this just happened to me and had a hard time findind the solution . i was
gonna install sp2 which i havent yet . so i went to get the updates to
windows . low and behold i guess i didnt have them or not all of them i got
updates and it restored the xp style back on and had access to the xp
themes . so make sure u have updates to windows.

"Ian Fids" wrote:

> Over the last 7 days I had some blue screen errors. I attempted 2 system
> restores but both failed. A third attempt did restore the system but with one
> remaining, niggling, problem: I have lost my Windows XP theme and am stuck
> with the Windows Classic theme only.
>
> To be clear, under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Appearance� I’m only offered
> Windows Classic style under Windows & Buttosn. Under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES –
> Theme� I’m offered My Current Theme, Windows Classic, More themes online &
> Browse.
>
> Under Control Panel I’m NOT offered the Appearance & Themes option. Viewing
> SERVICES does show that the Themes service is running. I did attempt to stop
> and restart this service but this failed with an “Error 1503: Cannot Stop
> Service. Service did not stop in a timely fashion�.
>
> Searching the Windows folder for *.theme files there’s only the luna theme
> and windows classic theme.
>
> More information: once the system was successfully restored I ran a
> successful system file check (sfc). The blue screen error I have resolved was
> NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.
>
> The system seems to be running well in all other respect.
>
> What I want to do is reinstate APPEARANCE & THEMES under Control Panel and
> return the WINDOWS XP theme.
>
> Can anyone help, please?!
>
> PC Details: Windows XP (SP1), AMD ATHLON 2000 (1.67GHz), 512Mb RAM, ATI
> RADEON 7000 (latest Catalyst driver)
>
> --
> Ian Fidler

TRENDING THREADS