Windows XP Theme disappear following Windows System restore

Over the last 7 days I had some blue screen errors. I attempted 2 system
restores but both failed. A third attempt did restore the system but with one
remaining, niggling, problem: I have lost my Windows XP theme and am stuck
with the Windows Classic theme only.

To be clear, under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Appearance� I’m only offered
Windows Classic style under Windows & Buttosn. Under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES –
Theme� I’m offered My Current Theme, Windows Classic, More themes online &
Browse.

Under Control Panel I’m NOT offered the Appearance & Themes option. Viewing
SERVICES does show that the Themes service is running. I did attempt to stop
and restart this service but this failed with an “Error 1503: Cannot Stop
Service. Service did not stop in a timely fashion�.

Searching the Windows folder for *.theme files there’s only the luna theme
and windows classic theme.

More information: once the system was successfully restored I ran a
successful system file check (sfc). The blue screen error I have resolved was
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.

The system seems to be running well in all other respect.

What I want to do is reinstate APPEARANCE & THEMES under Control Panel and
return the WINDOWS XP theme.

Can anyone help, please?!

PC Details: Windows XP (SP1), AMD ATHLON 2000 (1.67GHz), 512Mb RAM, ATI
RADEON 7000 (latest Catalyst driver)

--
Ian Fidler
3 answers Last reply

    Any luck in finding an answer on this? I've have the same exact problem
    and have tried everything and nothing works.

    Ian Fidler

    "Dude" wrote:

    > Any luck in finding an answer on this? I've have the same exact problem
    > and have tried everything and nothing works.
    >
    > Nothing that corrects this specifically. The only advice I've been given is to do a Windows repair using the Windows XP disk. I'm going to try this. If it doesn't work then it'll have to be a full, clean installation. It's a strange error but if you look around these forums it seems Windows is capable of a million different problems!! Good luck!

    this just happened to me and had a hard time findind the solution . i was
    gonna install sp2 which i havent yet . so i went to get the updates to
    windows . low and behold i guess i didnt have them or not all of them i got
    updates and it restored the xp style back on and had access to the xp
    themes . so make sure u have updates to windows.

    "Ian Fids" wrote:

    > Over the last 7 days I had some blue screen errors. I attempted 2 system
    > restores but both failed. A third attempt did restore the system but with one
    > remaining, niggling, problem: I have lost my Windows XP theme and am stuck
    > with the Windows Classic theme only.
    >
    > To be clear, under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Appearance� I’m only offered
    > Windows Classic style under Windows & Buttosn. Under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES –
    > Theme� I’m offered My Current Theme, Windows Classic, More themes online &
    > Browse.
    >
    > Under Control Panel I’m NOT offered the Appearance & Themes option. Viewing
    > SERVICES does show that the Themes service is running. I did attempt to stop
    > and restart this service but this failed with an “Error 1503: Cannot Stop
    > Service. Service did not stop in a timely fashion�.
    >
    > Searching the Windows folder for *.theme files there’s only the luna theme
    > and windows classic theme.
    >
    > More information: once the system was successfully restored I ran a
    > successful system file check (sfc). The blue screen error I have resolved was
    > NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.
    >
    > The system seems to be running well in all other respect.
    >
    > What I want to do is reinstate APPEARANCE & THEMES under Control Panel and
    > return the WINDOWS XP theme.
    >
    > Can anyone help, please?!
    >
    > PC Details: Windows XP (SP1), AMD ATHLON 2000 (1.67GHz), 512Mb RAM, ATI
    > RADEON 7000 (latest Catalyst driver)
    >
    > --
    > Ian Fidler

Windows XP Classic System Restore