Remove XPH from disk?

I need to return my notebook to the suppliers for
repair/replacement/refund and I would like to know the best way to clear
the disk totally. I have 3 partitions C:, D: and E: I can delete D: & E:
from within XP but I can't see how to delete C: with XP on it. I did try
using the XP CD as though I was going to re-install and I did get C:
cleared but I was left with 3 lots of unallocated space.
How should I remove the partitions and get the unallocated space back
into one chunk?
Thanks
--
gillie

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to delete all existing partitions:

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions and you're done!

Alternative:

Download the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber
and use it.

DriveScrubber
http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rosie" wrote:

| I need to return my notebook to the suppliers for
| repair/replacement/refund and I would like to know the best way to clear
| the disk totally. I have 3 partitions C:, D: and E: I can delete D: & E:
| from within XP but I can't see how to delete C: with XP on it. I did try
| using the XP CD as though I was going to re-install and I did get C:
| cleared but I was left with 3 lots of unallocated space.
| How should I remove the partitions and get the unallocated space back
| into one chunk?
| Thanks
| --
| gillie

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:35:34 AM

In message <OLRElwhWFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> writes
>The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
>to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
>Windows XP to delete all existing partitions:
>
>1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
>
> ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
>2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
>3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
>4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the
>existing
> Windows partitions and you're done!

That is how I eventually deleted C: but I was left with 3 lots of
unallocated space. How do I get them back into _1_ unallocated block?
>Alternative:
>
>Download the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber
>and use it.
>
>DriveScrubber
>http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

I'll have a look at that.
Thanks Carey.
--
gillie

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:24:12 +0100, Rosie <mtg@purbeck.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>I need to return my notebook to the suppliers for
>repair/replacement/refund and I would like to know the best way to clear
>the disk totally. I have 3 partitions C:, D: and E: I can delete D: & E:
>from within XP but I can't see how to delete C: with XP on it. I did try
>using the XP CD as though I was going to re-install and I did get C:
>cleared but I was left with 3 lots of unallocated space.
>How should I remove the partitions and get the unallocated space back
>into one chunk?
>Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can also delete partitions from the XP install
program. Check the options again.