Wireless Dell CP and phone line??? How?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 5, 2004 7:42:30 AM

Hi! I just bought a Latitude CP 233 128 on ebay for my Mom.. How do I set
up a wireless connection to her phone line (she will use a local ISP) so she
can use the laptop anywhere in the house??
( I'm obviously a real novice on wireless, so any help is GREATLY
appreciated).

thanks! Please reply to:

SHartz40@yahoo.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 5, 2004 4:33:02 PM

"Stephen Hartz" <SHartz@columbus.rr.com> wrote in

> How do I set
> up a wireless connection to her phone line (she will use a local ISP)
> so she can use the laptop anywhere in the house??

Uhh... which cell phone do you have?

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

Landline, not cell...

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "Stephen Hartz" <SHartz@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
>
> > How do I set
> > up a wireless connection to her phone line (she will use a local ISP)
> > so she can use the laptop anywhere in the house??
> >

> Uhh... which cell phone do you have?
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
April 5, 2004 7:03:21 PM

"Stephen Hartz" <SHartz@columbus.rr.com> wrote in news:p gecc.6614$bP5.1999
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> Landline, not cell...

You'll need a router with a phone port - i.e. Orinoco RG-1000.

Routers with a dialup modem are rare these days.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
April 6, 2004 12:52:48 AM

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

> Routers with a dialup modem are rare these days.

AFAIK, the only wireless router that actually includes a built-in modem
is Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station (the $250 model). USR and D-Link
make -- or at least used to make -- models that could use an external
modem for a dialup connection.

The Apple unit can be used alternatively as a PPP host for connecting to
your home network via telephone line.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 6, 2004 2:05:00 AM

neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in

> USR and D-Link
> make -- or at least used to make -- models that could use an external
> modem for a dialup connection.

That reminds me... my old SMC Barricade had a serial port:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-De...

It's only 69.00CDN (40US) brand new (without a modem):
http://www.canadacomputers.com/networking.html

Sometimes you can pick this router up for ~20US when there is a rebate.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
April 6, 2004 4:19:24 AM

Another glitch, the laptop has an INTERNAl 56 K modem- what now??

> neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in
>
> > USR and D-Link
> > make -- or at least used to make -- models that could use an external
> > modem for a dialup connection.
> >

> That reminds me... my old SMC Barricade had a serial port:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-De...

> It's only 69.00CDN (40US) brand new (without a modem):
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/networking.html
>
> Sometimes you can pick this router up for ~20US when there is a rebate.
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
April 6, 2004 4:58:19 AM

"Stephen Hartz" <SHartz@columbus.rr.com> wrote in news:gImcc.6700$bP5.2896
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> Another glitch, the laptop has an INTERNAl 56 K modem- what now??

1. Buy an external modem.

2. Connect the phoneline to the internal modem? : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)