ojoe

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
My computer kept trying to connect to the internet after a couple of minutes when I started it up. I installed a firewall and found out it was "wjview". What does this do, and can I change the settings so that it won't try to connect to the internet? After connecting to the internet, another program tries to run. "WANMiniport", also what does this do and can I turn it off. So far I have not been allowing either program access and haven't had any problems.

Boink

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
1.) Wjview
Here's a link to some info on wjview

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vjcore98/html/vjhowviewingapplicationswithwjview.asp

Wjview lets you view window-based Java applications. This runs as part of your operating system and cannot itself be disabled as I understand it. One possible cause for Wjview to be running at startup may be that you have some sort of program installed that requires a connection to the net to function. To find them do this...

Start > Run > Msconfig.
Select the Startup tab.
Scan the list for any entries that contain "wjview."
If you find any "wjview" entries, try disabling the Wjview startup component and find any associated folders identified in Msconfig that you might need to delete to fix the problem. If you do delete anty folders you find through msconfig you'll probably get some Wjview errors next time you restart your machine as the registry entries are pointing to files and folders that no longer exist.

Next fix is deleting the associated entries in the registry, I would recommend this only if you are an advanced user !!!

Start your registry editor regedit.exe or regedt32.exe and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry subkeys.
Remove any invalid Wjview entries you find.
Remember Editing the registry is a very dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you're doing so if you're not familiar with it don't touch it just stick to disabling the wjview entries in msconfig.

2.) Wan Miniport

The wan miniport entry that your firewall picked up is just your NIC card or modem drivers (the windows drivers) being initialized. These are part of your operating system and can't be diabled, they don't need a connection to the net from what I've read, they are only there to let your NIC/Modem support multiple protocols here's a link if you want to learn more about NDIS specs.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/network/ndis5.mspx