Choosing a laptop

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:41 AM

My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
and suffering from frustration syndrome!
My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
Which model should I look for?

Many thanks in advance.

TG

More about : choosing laptop

March 4, 2005 3:42:42 AM

Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
"Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:42 AM

I have the XPS laptop.

Tety Garf wrote:
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:42 AM

Tety Garf wrote:

> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?

While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:42 AM

Tety Garf wrote:

> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?

Another question is, do you qualify for a Small Business purchase?

Although it seems to be (slowly) improving, Dell's service for
Home purchases has been somewhat less than stellar.

A purchase, through their Small Business division, affords you
the option of excellent service, although it'll cost you.

Once again, it boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:43 AM

Keith wrote:

> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.

The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.

Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.

Notan
March 4, 2005 3:42:44 AM

The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.
> Keith wrote:
>>
>> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
>> tanks
>> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
>
> The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
> and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
>
> Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:45 AM

Keith wrote:

> The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
> Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
> ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.

Clearly, the OP's interested in Dell.

Without any evidence to back up your claims of Dell being
"down on the list," your credibility is right up there with
tits on a boar.

Notan
March 4, 2005 3:42:46 AM

So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
number 21 chromosomes Noton.
> Keith wrote:
>>
>> The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
>> Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ
>> 70
>> ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.
>
> Clearly, the OP's interested in Dell.
>
> Without any evidence to back up your claims of Dell being
> "down on the list," your credibility is right up there with
> tits on a boar.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:42:47 AM

Keith wrote:

> So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
> simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
> that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
> number 21 chromosomes Noton.

You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.

You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.

Notan
March 4, 2005 3:42:48 AM

OK, you win. Dell is just perfect and great. Dell is top notch service and
support. Dell does NO WRONG!
Noton, there are special programs for people like you. You should check into
some of them and stop fighting mental health.
> Keith wrote:
>>
>> So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
>> simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can
>> read)
>> that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with
>> three
>> number 21 chromosomes Noton.
>
> You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
> is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.
>
> You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 5:37:05 AM

The company I work for uses the Dell D600. We have them in use from
executives to assistants. To date, one hard drive had to be replaced. I do
PC setup and maintenance for them.

My 2 cents.

Karl

"Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:53:50 AM

> Keith wrote:
>>
>> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
>> tanks
>> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
>
> The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
> and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
>
> Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
>
> Notan

Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.

Period.

Tom
(who's typing this on an X40).

P.S. To all you anti-Dellbots: surprised ya, didn't I
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:53:51 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Keith wrote:
> >>
> >> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
> >> tanks
> >> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
> >
> > The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
> > and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
> >
> > Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
>
> Period.

The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

And, didn't I read that IBM was going the way of most other manufacturers,
i.e., outsourcing support?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:55:41 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:

> Tety Garf wrote:
>>
>> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
>> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
>> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
>> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
>> Which model should I look for?
>
> While you've answered some of the important questions, already,

Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
returnable.

I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
the screen.

Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.

This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:
>
> > Tety Garf wrote:
> >>
> >> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> >> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> >> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> >> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> >> Which model should I look for?
> >
> > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
>
> Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
> is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
> being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
> up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
> returnable.
>
> I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
> the screen.
>
> Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
> happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
> selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
> unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
> P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
>
> This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.

Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 2:45:23 PM

This is just something that most laptop
>purchasers are unaware of.

Oh gripes! Just when I think I have resolved the problem of not getting
a desktop due to paying to get it all connected....you now educate me
about a problem with laptops? What are "dead" pixels and how do I know
they are dead if I check out a laptop, please? I had no idea how great
and trouble free webtv was until I started researching computers! Do
desktops have dead pixels too?

By the way, even though this is considered a Dell group, I could not
find as much helpful info on the others so I, for one, check this group
daily for help, recommendations and education on "all" computers. If
someone knows a better group for a variety of info, please advise.
Thanks!

Bea
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 2:56:52 PM

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Tom Scales wrote:

[Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]

>> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
>> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
>> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
>>
>> Period.

>The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

"... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
[except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
[at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
good time when he had time to check Usenet again.
--
OJ III
a b D Laptop

Tety Garf wrote:
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few
> years and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two
> hours or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

I'm quite happy with the Inspiron 9200 because I d/l music and watch DVDs.
I also connect mainly wireless (office, home and traveling) and it works
just fine.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:13:58 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:

> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
what you were looking at.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 3:13:59 PM

Leythos wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
> >
> > Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
>
> I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
> didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
> what you were looking at.

CompUSA comes to mind, but I can't be sure.

It's an age thing! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:16:08 PM

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >Tom Scales wrote:
>
> [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]
>
> >> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
> >> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
> >> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
> >>
> >> Period.
>
> >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.
>
> "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
> Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
> this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
> this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
> newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
> [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
> As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
> [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
> probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
> He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
> good time when he had time to check Usenet again.

I wasn't pushing the OP for an answer, just stating that, without
knowing how much he wanted to spend, there was no way to give an
informed answer.

As far as your other post, regarding Keith and myself, I agree
with you, wholeheartedly... It's gone way too far. Killfile me,
do whatever. I'm just sick and tired of the bullshit (to use your
own word) of the constant attacks towards those who've had good
experience(s) with Dell.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:19:08 PM

| Leythos wrote:

| > > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
| >
| > Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
| > is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
| > being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
| > up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to
be
| > returnable.
| >
| > I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
| > the screen.
| >
| > Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
| > happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
| > selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
| > unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen
17"
| > P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
| >
| > This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.
|
| Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
|
| Notan

In Ohio we have Dell Kiosks in some of the Malls.

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:33:59 PM

I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!

However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.

You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
to hear from you.

TG

Notan wrote:

> Tety Garf wrote:
> >
> > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> > Which model should I look for?
>
> While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
> one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:34:44 PM

news:p an.2005.03.04.12.18.26.624836@nowhere.lan...
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
>>
>> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
>
> I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
> didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
> what you were looking at.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Dell sells through Costco
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:34:45 PM

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.04.12.18.26.624836@nowhere.lan...
> > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
> >>
> >> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
> >
> > I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
> > didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
> > what you were looking at.
> >
> > --
> > spam999free@rrohio.com
> > remove 999 in order to email me
> >

> Dell sells through Costco

Thanks, Tom. I *knew* I had seen them, somewhere!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:37:41 PM

Notan wrote:

> Tety Garf wrote:
> >
> > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> > Which model should I look for?
>
> While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
> one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:37:42 PM

Tety Garf wrote:

> I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!
>
> However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.
>
> You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
> up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

Which, for some of us, translates into approximately $1900-$2000 USD.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 7:34:09 PM

Tety Garf wrote:

> I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!
>
> However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.
>
> You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
> up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).
>
> I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
> to hear from you.

Back to the original question <g>...

As far as "DVD mastering," what level of quality are you talking about?

Typically, along with lighter/smaller laptops go less capable video
and audio components. Are you willing to accept a heavier system?
How heavy?... Are you going to be using this system as a portable
computer or a desktop substitute that you only occasionally carry?

Notan
March 4, 2005 9:05:01 PM

So if one has a not so good experience with Dell, it is Bullshit? You are so
intelligent!
> Ogden Johnson III wrote:
>>
>> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>> [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]

>> >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.
>>
>> "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
>> Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
>> this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
>> this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
>> newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
>> [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
>> As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
>> [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
>> probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
>> He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
>> good time when he had time to check Usenet again.
>
> I wasn't pushing the OP for an answer, just stating that, without
> knowing how much he wanted to spend, there was no way to give an
> informed answer.
>
> As far as your other post, regarding Keith and myself, I agree
> with you, wholeheartedly... It's gone way too far. Killfile me,
> do whatever. I'm just sick and tired of the bullshit (to use your
> own word) of the constant attacks towards those who've had good
> experience(s) with Dell.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 11:40:12 PM

Bea, I have purchased three laptops in the past 5 years. I7500, I8200
and last September the XPS. None of them came with dead pixels. I was
concerned more so several years ago, but I believe the screens have
much improved. Anytime, I purchase a PC or Laptop, I say a prayer that
I have no problems. So far so good. :-)

I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor. If you should have
them on your screen, I would return the laptop and order another. My
assistant recently purchased the I8400 Laptop and it has no dead pixels.
The only difference between the I8400 and my XPS, is mainly the speed
and a few more gadgets. The XPS is also considered the gamer laptop.

My first two laptops were purchased as refurbished systems. They came
in beautiful condition just like new. My XPS Laptop was purchased new.
You really can't tell the difference whether it was new or refurbished.
On the refurbished, the label says its refurbished.

Joan

Bea xx wrote:
> This is just something that most laptop
>
>>purchasers are unaware of.
>

> Oh gripes! Just when I think I have resolved the problem of not getting
> a desktop due to paying to get it all connected....you now educate me
> about a problem with laptops? What are "dead" pixels and how do I know
> they are dead if I check out a laptop, please? I had no idea how great
> and trouble free webtv was until I started researching computers! Do
> desktops have dead pixels too?
>
> By the way, even though this is considered a Dell group, I could not
> find as much helpful info on the others so I, for one, check this group
> daily for help, recommendations and education on "all" computers. If
> someone knows a better group for a variety of info, please advise.
> Thanks!
>
> Bea

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 4:44:53 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:

> I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
> 173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
> up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.

Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.

As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 4:44:54 AM

Leythos wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:
>
>>I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
>>173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
>>up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.
>

> Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
> bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
> the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.
>
> As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
> return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.

Guess you didn't say a prayer. :-) Just kidding. Didn't sometime back
it was mentioned you can try to press or rubbed out with your finger or
something like that. It is frustrating when things are not in perfect
condition. I didn't know they had a restocking fee.

Joan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 4:44:55 AM

Joan Hansen wrote:

> Leythos wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:
> >
> >>I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
> >>173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
> >>up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.
> >

> > Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
> > bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
> > the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.
> >
> > As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
> > return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.
>
> Guess you didn't say a prayer. :-) Just kidding. Didn't sometime back
> it was mentioned you can try to press or rubbed out with your finger or
> something like that. It is frustrating when things are not in perfect
> condition. I didn't know they had a restocking fee.

I'm not sure, but I think that was a cure for "dead" pixels.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 4:44:56 AM

Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

Bea
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 4:44:57 AM

Bea xx wrote:

> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

Desktops and laptops.

For more info, Google "dead pixels."

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:35:23 AM

> Bea xx wrote:
>>
>> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
>> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
>> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
>
> Desktops and laptops.
>
> For more info, Google "dead pixels."
>
> Notan

On any notebook or LCD monitor purchase, the buyer needs to know what the
vendor's return policy is regarding dead pixels. Most vendors quote (or
used to) a specific number of 'acceptable' dead pixels that 'are part of the
manufacturing process' or some like mumbo-jumbo.

I recall newegg.com as having a limit of 8 dead pixels before any LCD would
be considered 'faulty' for return - and that surprised me.

Anyone I've helped to purchase an LCD gets the 'dead pixels' lecture before
they buy - so that I don't have to hear about it.

Stew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 8:10:32 AM

Leythos, indicated it does happen with Flat Panel Monitors for desktops.
Bea is this the first PC or Laptop you are buying?

Bea xx wrote:
> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
>
> Bea

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 11:01:00 AM

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Bea xx wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
> >> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
> >> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
> >
> > Desktops and laptops.
> >
> > For more info, Google "dead pixels."
> >
> > Notan
>
> On any notebook or LCD monitor purchase, the buyer needs to know what the
> vendor's return policy is regarding dead pixels. Most vendors quote (or
> used to) a specific number of 'acceptable' dead pixels that 'are part of the
> manufacturing process' or some like mumbo-jumbo.
>
> I recall newegg.com as having a limit of 8 dead pixels before any LCD would
> be considered 'faulty' for return - and that surprised me.
>
> Anyone I've helped to purchase an LCD gets the 'dead pixels' lecture before
> they buy - so that I don't have to hear about it.

For Dell's dead pixel policy, have a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/6s8an.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 12:14:32 PM

>Leythos, indicated it does happen with Flat
> Panel Monitors for desktops. Bea is this the
> first PC or Laptop you are buying?

Yes, it is the first one "I hope to" buy, Joan. Another family member
wants one too so I am trying to educate myself for both of us. I had
no idea one could incur so many problems with computers nowadays. I
apologize for asking so many questions of you nice folks but your
experiences and knowledge can help me avoid some headaches, hopefully.

Computer research can be so confusing and aggravating. For example,
Consumer Reports gives Toshiba a high rating for reliability especially
on Laptops but when I check out websites I find certain people who
bought them yelling they had a lot of problems with them and warning
againist them. I guess like anything else, it is the luck of the draw.
Some people get well made computers and others get those which have a
lot of problems. I think the first thing I have to do is find a website
which will educate me on the hardware of desktops and laptops so I will
know the difference between a modem and the hard drive.

Bea
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 3:40:38 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:06:56 -0600, Bea xx wrote:

> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

Anything that has an LCD is prone to that problem.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 3:40:39 PM

Just read in a magazine called Maximumpc, that Samsung FP monitor will
be replaced within six months if you discover even one dead pixel. It
also states, the US PR rep for Samsung said the company is currently
investigating how to implement the policy in the U.S. This will affect
monitors purchased after January 1, 2005.

Leythos wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:06:56 -0600, Bea xx wrote:
>

>>Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
>>let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
>>to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
>

> Anything that has an LCD is prone to that problem.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 7:50:18 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:14:32 -0600, Bea xx wrote:

> Computer research can be so confusing and aggravating. For example,
> Consumer Reports gives Toshiba a high rating for reliability especially
> on Laptops but when I check out websites I find certain people who
> bought them yelling they had a lot of problems with them and warning
> againist them.

The problem with reviews of users is that only people with problems
provide feedback. If you want a good review, visit the CircuitCity.com
website and look at reviews online for the ones they sell. While there are
some negative there are also positive ones.

I've owned and purchased many laptops over the last decade, luggables
before that, and I will never purchase a LCD device (laptop, TV, desktop,
monitor) without being able to test the exact unit I'm going to purchase.

As for Toshiba, I bought their Wide Screen 17" P4/3.2Ghz machine with
DVD+/-RW drive and 80GB drive and wireless, the first thing I did was
wipe the machine and install Windows XP Prof - the drivers CD that Toshiba
provided was the easiest I've ever used in all my years (it actually
explains the details for each driver and does the install, not like Dell's
driver CD method). I will purchase more Toshiba's and less Dell laptops
after this experience.

--
!