Choosing a laptop

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
and suffering from frustration syndrome!
My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
Which model should I look for?

Many thanks in advance.

TG
42 answers Last reply
More about choosing laptop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
    but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
    "Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:4227AF6C.405B9904@ntlworld.com...
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > TG
    >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I have the XPS laptop.

    Tety Garf wrote:
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > TG
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tety Garf wrote:
    >
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?

    While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
    one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?

    Notan
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tety Garf wrote:
    >
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?

    Another question is, do you qualify for a Small Business purchase?

    Although it seems to be (slowly) improving, Dell's service for
    Home purchases has been somewhat less than stellar.

    A purchase, through their Small Business division, affords you
    the option of excellent service, although it'll cost you.

    Once again, it boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

    Notan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Keith wrote:
    >
    > Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
    > but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.

    The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
    and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.

    Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.

    Notan
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
    Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
    ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4227C580.401F4A7F@ddress.com...
    > Keith wrote:
    >>
    >> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
    >> tanks
    >> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
    >
    > The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
    > and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
    >
    > Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
    >
    > Notan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Keith wrote:
    >
    > The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
    > Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
    > ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.

    Clearly, the OP's interested in Dell.

    Without any evidence to back up your claims of Dell being
    "down on the list," your credibility is right up there with
    tits on a boar.

    Notan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
    simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
    that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
    number 21 chromosomes Noton.
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4227CAAD.2A327A1E@ddress.com...
    > Keith wrote:
    >>
    >> The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
    >> Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ
    >> 70
    >> ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.
    >
    > Clearly, the OP's interested in Dell.
    >
    > Without any evidence to back up your claims of Dell being
    > "down on the list," your credibility is right up there with
    > tits on a boar.
    >
    > Notan
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Keith wrote:
    >
    > So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
    > simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
    > that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
    > number 21 chromosomes Noton.

    You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
    is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.

    You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Notan
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    OK, you win. Dell is just perfect and great. Dell is top notch service and
    support. Dell does NO WRONG!
    Noton, there are special programs for people like you. You should check into
    some of them and stop fighting mental health.
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4227D0AC.B9A32BBE@ddress.com...
    > Keith wrote:
    >>
    >> So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
    >> simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can
    >> read)
    >> that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with
    >> three
    >> number 21 chromosomes Noton.
    >
    > You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
    > is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.
    >
    > You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.
    >
    > Notan
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The company I work for uses the Dell D600. We have them in use from
    executives to assistants. To date, one hard drive had to be replaced. I do
    PC setup and maintenance for them.

    My 2 cents.

    Karl


    "Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:4227AF6C.405B9904@ntlworld.com...
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > TG
    >
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4227C580.401F4A7F@ddress.com...
    > Keith wrote:
    >>
    >> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
    >> tanks
    >> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
    >
    > The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
    > and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
    >
    > Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
    >
    > Notan

    Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
    particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
    ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.

    Period.

    Tom
    (who's typing this on an X40).

    P.S. To all you anti-Dellbots: surprised ya, didn't I
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > news:4227C580.401F4A7F@ddress.com...
    > > Keith wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
    > >> tanks
    > >> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
    > >
    > > The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
    > > and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
    > >
    > > Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
    > particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
    > ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
    >
    > Period.

    The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

    And, didn't I read that IBM was going the way of most other manufacturers,
    i.e., outsourcing support?

    Notan
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:

    > Tety Garf wrote:
    >>
    >> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    >> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    >> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    >> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    >> Which model should I look for?
    >
    > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,

    Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
    is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
    being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
    up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
    returnable.

    I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
    the screen.

    Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
    happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
    selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
    unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
    P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.

    This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.


    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:
    >
    > > Tety Garf wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > >> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > >> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > >> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > >> Which model should I look for?
    > >
    > > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
    >
    > Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
    > is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
    > being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
    > up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
    > returnable.
    >
    > I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
    > the screen.
    >
    > Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
    > happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
    > selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
    > unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
    > P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
    >
    > This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.

    Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

    Notan
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    This is just something that most laptop
    >purchasers are unaware of.

    Oh gripes! Just when I think I have resolved the problem of not getting
    a desktop due to paying to get it all connected....you now educate me
    about a problem with laptops? What are "dead" pixels and how do I know
    they are dead if I check out a laptop, please? I had no idea how great
    and trouble free webtv was until I started researching computers! Do
    desktops have dead pixels too?

    By the way, even though this is considered a Dell group, I could not
    find as much helpful info on the others so I, for one, check this group
    daily for help, recommendations and education on "all" computers. If
    someone knows a better group for a variety of info, please advise.
    Thanks!

    Bea
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >Tom Scales wrote:

    [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]

    >> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
    >> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
    >> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
    >>
    >> Period.

    >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

    "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
    Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
    this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
    this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
    newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
    [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
    As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
    [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
    probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
    He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
    good time when he had time to check Usenet again.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tety Garf wrote:
    > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few
    > years and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two
    > hours or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > TG

    I'm quite happy with the Inspiron 9200 because I d/l music and watch DVDs.
    I also connect mainly wireless (office, home and traveling) and it works
    just fine.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
    >
    > Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

    I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
    didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
    what you were looking at.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
    > >
    > > Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
    >
    > I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
    > didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
    > what you were looking at.

    CompUSA comes to mind, but I can't be sure.

    It's an age thing! <g>

    Notan
  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ogden Johnson III wrote:
    >
    > Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    > [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]
    >
    > >> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
    > >> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
    > >> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
    > >>
    > >> Period.
    >
    > >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.
    >
    > "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
    > Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
    > this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
    > this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
    > newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
    > [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
    > As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
    > [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
    > probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
    > He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
    > good time when he had time to check Usenet again.

    I wasn't pushing the OP for an answer, just stating that, without
    knowing how much he wanted to spend, there was no way to give an
    informed answer.

    As far as your other post, regarding Keith and myself, I agree
    with you, wholeheartedly... It's gone way too far. Killfile me,
    do whatever. I'm just sick and tired of the bullshit (to use your
    own word) of the constant attacks towards those who've had good
    experience(s) with Dell.

    Notan
  22. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4227E35C.840EE98C@ddress.com...
    | Leythos wrote:
    | >
    | > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:
    | >
    | > > Tety Garf wrote:
    | > >>
    | > >> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few
    years
    | > >> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    | > >> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two
    hours
    | > >> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    | > >> Which model should I look for?
    | > >
    | > > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
    | >
    | > Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
    | > is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
    | > being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
    | > up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to
    be
    | > returnable.
    | >
    | > I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
    | > the screen.
    | >
    | > Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
    | > happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
    | > selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
    | > unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen
    17"
    | > P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
    | >
    | > This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.
    |
    | Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
    |
    | Notan

    In Ohio we have Dell Kiosks in some of the Malls.


    --
    D

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!

    However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.

    You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
    up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

    I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
    to hear from you.

    TG


    Notan wrote:

    > Tety Garf wrote:
    > >
    > > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
    > one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?
    >
    > Notan
  24. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    news:pan.2005.03.04.12.18.26.624836@nowhere.lan...
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
    >>
    >> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
    >
    > I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
    > didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
    > what you were looking at.
    >
    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me
    >

    Dell sells through Costco
  25. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2005.03.04.12.18.26.624836@nowhere.lan...
    > > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
    > >
    > > I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
    > > didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
    > > what you were looking at.
    > >
    > > --
    > > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > > remove 999 in order to email me
    > >
    >
    > Dell sells through Costco

    Thanks, Tom. I *knew* I had seen them, somewhere!

    Notan
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!

    However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.

    You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
    up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

    I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
    to hear from you.

    TG


    Notan wrote:

    > Tety Garf wrote:
    > >
    > > My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
    > > and suffering from frustration syndrome!
    > > My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
    > > or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
    > > Which model should I look for?
    >
    > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
    > one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?
    >
    > Notan
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tety Garf wrote:
    >
    > I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!
    >
    > However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.
    >
    > You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
    > up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

    Which, for some of us, translates into approximately $1900-$2000 USD.

    Notan
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tety Garf wrote:
    >
    > I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!
    >
    > However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.
    >
    > You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
    > up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).
    >
    > I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
    > to hear from you.

    Back to the original question <g>...

    As far as "DVD mastering," what level of quality are you talking about?

    Typically, along with lighter/smaller laptops go less capable video
    and audio components. Are you willing to accept a heavier system?
    How heavy?... Are you going to be using this system as a portable
    computer or a desktop substitute that you only occasionally carry?

    Notan
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    So if one has a not so good experience with Dell, it is Bullshit? You are so
    intelligent!
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:4228DE28.C3EE2963@ddress.com...
    > Ogden Johnson III wrote:
    >>
    >> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >> [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]
    >>
    >> >> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
    >> >> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
    >> >> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
    >> >>
    >> >> Period.
    >>
    >> >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.
    >>
    >> "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
    >> Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
    >> this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
    >> this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
    >> newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
    >> [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
    >> As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
    >> [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
    >> probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
    >> He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
    >> good time when he had time to check Usenet again.
    >
    > I wasn't pushing the OP for an answer, just stating that, without
    > knowing how much he wanted to spend, there was no way to give an
    > informed answer.
    >
    > As far as your other post, regarding Keith and myself, I agree
    > with you, wholeheartedly... It's gone way too far. Killfile me,
    > do whatever. I'm just sick and tired of the bullshit (to use your
    > own word) of the constant attacks towards those who've had good
    > experience(s) with Dell.
    >
    > Notan
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Bea, I have purchased three laptops in the past 5 years. I7500, I8200
    and last September the XPS. None of them came with dead pixels. I was
    concerned more so several years ago, but I believe the screens have
    much improved. Anytime, I purchase a PC or Laptop, I say a prayer that
    I have no problems. So far so good. :-)

    I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
    173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
    up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor. If you should have
    them on your screen, I would return the laptop and order another. My
    assistant recently purchased the I8400 Laptop and it has no dead pixels.
    The only difference between the I8400 and my XPS, is mainly the speed
    and a few more gadgets. The XPS is also considered the gamer laptop.

    My first two laptops were purchased as refurbished systems. They came
    in beautiful condition just like new. My XPS Laptop was purchased new.
    You really can't tell the difference whether it was new or refurbished.
    On the refurbished, the label says its refurbished.

    Joan


    Bea xx wrote:
    > This is just something that most laptop
    >
    >>purchasers are unaware of.
    >
    >
    > Oh gripes! Just when I think I have resolved the problem of not getting
    > a desktop due to paying to get it all connected....you now educate me
    > about a problem with laptops? What are "dead" pixels and how do I know
    > they are dead if I check out a laptop, please? I had no idea how great
    > and trouble free webtv was until I started researching computers! Do
    > desktops have dead pixels too?
    >
    > By the way, even though this is considered a Dell group, I could not
    > find as much helpful info on the others so I, for one, check this group
    > daily for help, recommendations and education on "all" computers. If
    > someone knows a better group for a variety of info, please advise.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Bea
    >
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:
    >
    > I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
    > 173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
    > up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.

    Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
    bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
    the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.

    As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
    return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:
    >
    >>I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
    >>173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
    >>up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.
    >
    >
    > Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
    > bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
    > the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.
    >
    > As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
    > return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.

    Guess you didn't say a prayer. :-) Just kidding. Didn't sometime back
    it was mentioned you can try to press or rubbed out with your finger or
    something like that. It is frustrating when things are not in perfect
    condition. I didn't know they had a restocking fee.

    Joan
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Joan Hansen wrote:
    >
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:12 -0500, Joan Hansen wrote:
    > >
    > >>I also have purchased two Flat Panel monitors. Dell 2000 FP 20" and the
    > >>173 FP 17". Neither have had any dead pixels. Dead Pixels usually show
    > >>up I believe, as tiny white squares on the monitor.
    > >
    > >
    > > Just unboxed 10 Dell 17" LCD panels today for a customer, 2 of them had
    > > bad pixels in the lower left corner - they were stuck on RED - which is
    > > the same way that the three Toshiba 17" Wide screen laptops were bad.
    > >
    > > As for returning, they charge a restocking fee and won't allow you to
    > > return a LCD with 1 or 2 bad pixels.
    >
    > Guess you didn't say a prayer. :-) Just kidding. Didn't sometime back
    > it was mentioned you can try to press or rubbed out with your finger or
    > something like that. It is frustrating when things are not in perfect
    > condition. I didn't know they had a restocking fee.

    I'm not sure, but I think that was a cure for "dead" pixels.

    Notan
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

    Bea
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Bea xx wrote:
    >
    > Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    > let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    > to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

    Desktops and laptops.

    For more info, Google "dead pixels."

    Notan
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    news:42293BD5.1C2370BE@ddress.com...
    > Bea xx wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    >> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    >> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
    >
    > Desktops and laptops.
    >
    > For more info, Google "dead pixels."
    >
    > Notan


    On any notebook or LCD monitor purchase, the buyer needs to know what the
    vendor's return policy is regarding dead pixels. Most vendors quote (or
    used to) a specific number of 'acceptable' dead pixels that 'are part of the
    manufacturing process' or some like mumbo-jumbo.

    I recall newegg.com as having a limit of 8 dead pixels before any LCD would
    be considered 'faulty' for return - and that surprised me.

    Anyone I've helped to purchase an LCD gets the 'dead pixels' lecture before
    they buy - so that I don't have to hear about it.


    Stew
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Leythos, indicated it does happen with Flat Panel Monitors for desktops.
    Bea is this the first PC or Laptop you are buying?

    Bea xx wrote:
    > Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    > let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    > to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
    >
    > Bea
    >
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "S.Lewis" wrote:
    >
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > news:42293BD5.1C2370BE@ddress.com...
    > > Bea xx wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    > >> let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    > >> to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
    > >
    > > Desktops and laptops.
    > >
    > > For more info, Google "dead pixels."
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > On any notebook or LCD monitor purchase, the buyer needs to know what the
    > vendor's return policy is regarding dead pixels. Most vendors quote (or
    > used to) a specific number of 'acceptable' dead pixels that 'are part of the
    > manufacturing process' or some like mumbo-jumbo.
    >
    > I recall newegg.com as having a limit of 8 dead pixels before any LCD would
    > be considered 'faulty' for return - and that surprised me.
    >
    > Anyone I've helped to purchase an LCD gets the 'dead pixels' lecture before
    > they buy - so that I don't have to hear about it.

    For Dell's dead pixel policy, have a look at:

    http://tinyurl.com/6s8an.

    Notan
  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >Leythos, indicated it does happen with Flat
    > Panel Monitors for desktops. Bea is this the
    > first PC or Laptop you are buying?

    Yes, it is the first one "I hope to" buy, Joan. Another family member
    wants one too so I am trying to educate myself for both of us. I had
    no idea one could incur so many problems with computers nowadays. I
    apologize for asking so many questions of you nice folks but your
    experiences and knowledge can help me avoid some headaches, hopefully.

    Computer research can be so confusing and aggravating. For example,
    Consumer Reports gives Toshiba a high rating for reliability especially
    on Laptops but when I check out websites I find certain people who
    bought them yelling they had a lot of problems with them and warning
    againist them. I guess like anything else, it is the luck of the draw.
    Some people get well made computers and others get those which have a
    lot of problems. I think the first thing I have to do is find a website
    which will educate me on the hardware of desktops and laptops so I will
    know the difference between a modem and the hard drive.

    Bea
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:06:56 -0600, Bea xx wrote:

    > Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    > let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    > to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!

    Anything that has an LCD is prone to that problem.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Just read in a magazine called Maximumpc, that Samsung FP monitor will
    be replaced within six months if you discover even one dead pixel. It
    also states, the US PR rep for Samsung said the company is currently
    investigating how to implement the policy in the U.S. This will affect
    monitors purchased after January 1, 2005.

    Leythos wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:06:56 -0600, Bea xx wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Thanks so much for the info about Dead Pixels, folks. Would you please
    >>let me know if this can also occur with desktops or does it only happen
    >>to Laptops for some reason? Thanks so much!
    >
    >
    > Anything that has an LCD is prone to that problem.
    >
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:14:32 -0600, Bea xx wrote:
    >
    > Computer research can be so confusing and aggravating. For example,
    > Consumer Reports gives Toshiba a high rating for reliability especially
    > on Laptops but when I check out websites I find certain people who
    > bought them yelling they had a lot of problems with them and warning
    > againist them.

    The problem with reviews of users is that only people with problems
    provide feedback. If you want a good review, visit the CircuitCity.com
    website and look at reviews online for the ones they sell. While there are
    some negative there are also positive ones.

    I've owned and purchased many laptops over the last decade, luggables
    before that, and I will never purchase a LCD device (laptop, TV, desktop,
    monitor) without being able to test the exact unit I'm going to purchase.

    As for Toshiba, I bought their Wide Screen 17" P4/3.2Ghz machine with
    DVD+/-RW drive and 80GB drive and wireless, the first thing I did was
    wipe the machine and install Windows XP Prof - the drivers CD that Toshiba
    provided was the easiest I've ever used in all my years (it actually
    explains the details for each driver and does the install, not like Dell's
    driver CD method). I will purchase more Toshiba's and less Dell laptops
    after this experience.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Laptops Computers