Flooring: the do's and don'ts for game rooms???

what do you guys and gals use for flooring in your home game rooms?
does anyone use ceramic or a different type of tile or is it better to
stick w/ carpet?

if anyone has pics they want to show plz make them avail :)

ronald

My house has all tile so I didn't have a choice. To keep from
scratching it I use casters or nylon leg levelers. I got the nylon
levelers from www.centsibleamusements.com and they seem to do ok, but
if I wasn't stuck with tile I would definately use carpet.

I've worked in several arcades that had tile, and even a few with vinyl! The
tile they used held up really well but I'm sure its some kind of commercial
quality grade. It was easy to clean when someone dropped a drink or food but
it was LOUD!

I'd stick with carpet in a home arcade if it were me.

Matt

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> what do you guys and gals use for flooring in your home game rooms?
> does anyone use ceramic or a different type of tile or is it better to
> stick w/ carpet?
>
> if anyone has pics they want to show plz make them avail :)
>
> ronald

Forget about tile IMO. You'll kill it. I say go with one of those arcade
looking carpets.

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> what do you guys and gals use for flooring in your home game rooms?
> does anyone use ceramic or a different type of tile or is it better to
> stick w/ carpet?
>
> if anyone has pics they want to show plz make them avail :)
>
> ronald

Too bad theres not an asteroids deluxe version or a pacman version of
those. mabey someday.....

-isaac

Actually, I debated the issue (in my head) for quite a while when I did
my arcade makeover earlier this year and decided on painted concrete
(the floor of the garage was already concrete anyway.)

The secret to absorbing the sound is to REALLY fill up the room with
stuff. My arcade is packed to the gills, and it's not particularly loud
(unless I want it to be).

I like the concrete because it makes the games very easy to move and
there is zero static (a problem in dry, carpeted areas in the winter).
It's also impossible to do any real damage to it (just do some touch-up
painting if it gets badly scratched) and it's a snap to clean. Had
someone drop a beer at the last party--a broom and a mop later, all was
well.

Your mileage may vary. :)

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

It's definitely cold in the winter--even in Durham, NC. I just run the
heater for a while before I go out and turn the games on to warm things
up enough to prevent condensation in the games. Once the games are all
up and running, it warms up pretty quickly, to the point where you
don't want the heater on anymore.

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

guinness

Numero Uno:

http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/index.html

tim (NH)

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> what do you guys and gals use for flooring in your home game rooms?
> does anyone use ceramic or a different type of tile or is it better to
> stick w/ carpet?
>
> if anyone has pics they want to show plz make them avail :)
>
> ronald

Depending on where you live, concrete can be very cold. In the northeast, I
would prefer to have carpet in the winter.

"Dave Ellis" <ellis_1701@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I debated the issue (in my head) for quite a while when I did
> my arcade makeover earlier this year and decided on painted concrete
> (the floor of the garage was already concrete anyway.)
>
> The secret to absorbing the sound is to REALLY fill up the room with
> stuff. My arcade is packed to the gills, and it's not particularly loud
> (unless I want it to be).
>
> I like the concrete because it makes the games very easy to move and
> there is zero static (a problem in dry, carpeted areas in the winter).
> It's also impossible to do any real damage to it (just do some touch-up
> painting if it gets badly scratched) and it's a snap to clean. Had
> someone drop a beer at the last party--a broom and a mop later, all was
> well.
>
> Your mileage may vary. :)
>
> -Dave Ellis
> http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

Good link for astro, but quite expensive.

Kidcarpet is where I got mine:

www.kidcarpet.com

They have a whole section of blacklight carpet and they are very nice.
I suggest getting samples of what you like as it helped to see the
carpets in person when I made my decision. They also have free
shipping and were great to work with.

Jim

guinness wrote:
> Numero Uno:
>
> http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/index.html
>
> tim (NH)
>
> "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > what do you guys and gals use for flooring in your home game rooms?
> > does anyone use ceramic or a different type of tile or is it better to
> > stick w/ carpet?
> >
> > if anyone has pics they want to show plz make them avail :)
> >
> > ronald

guinness

>>I just run the heater for a while before I go out and turn the games on to
>>warm things up enough to prevent condensation in the games. Once the games
>>are all up and running, it warms up pretty quickly,

Not in New England. When you have regular below zero weather...you don't
want concrete. I have concrete now with insulated\finished walls in my
'below ground' basement. I've had weekly poker games for 7 years and it
barely stays above 40F sometimes....thats with the portable heater on and
half the games running (20ish).

tim (NH)