stuck at welcome screen

May 16, 2005 1:51:22 PM

Every time I turn my computer on, it goes to the blue welcome screen, but
does not show any log in options. Usually my name comes up and I can click on
it to log on, but only the blue screen with the windows logo appears. It's
not frozen because the mouse still responds, but I can't click on anything
and the keys don't appear to have any effect...any suggestions??

More about : stuck screen

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:16:09 PM

Try and restart in Safe Mode.
Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 key as soon as it starts to
power up then choose safe mode.
Any users should then be shown as well as the Administrator account.

petecee
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:46:04 PM

thanks for the advice! so i tried it first in safe mode, but the same thing
came up, except this time it was framed by black bars. then i tried it again
with the option of rebooting with memory of the last time it ran well, and it
still didn't work. any more suggestions?? : )
May 16, 2005 10:50:04 PM

Be very, very persistent in tapping F8 when this pc is booting up. Getting a bootup menu is a big key.
Next it's to turn off "reboot on error" ----once you actually get Windows running.

Keep plugging away at tapping F8.

What follows is an old note, which may help:

So you are unable to even login to Safe Mode.
Have you tried F8 bootup again, and selecting "Last Known Good configuration" ?

If yes, and that also did not work .... then ... repeat F8 steps, get bootup menu, then select
"Safe Mode with Command Prompt". See if you can get that.

The MS Knowledge Base article noted below, may help in restoring a "prior XP System Restore point",
in the case where you are unable to do this from a Windows session.

The article describes how to start the System Restore tool when you are unable to start your Windows XP-based computer normally or
in Safe mode.
You may be able to do it from a "special command prompt"..."Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

It would seem the requirements are:
1. Your system HD still has restore point(s) from before. (Which also means System Restore is active on your XP.)
2. You have to be able to "selectively" bootup your pc into "Safe mode with command prompt".
3. Follow the directions to use "rstrui.exe" the XP System Restore program.

HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt ( MS Knowledge Base Article 304449)

Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"dub" wrote
> thanks for the advice! so i tried it first in safe mode, but the same thing
> came up, except this time it was framed by black bars. then i tried it again
> with the option of rebooting with memory of the last time it ran well, and it
> still didn't work. any more suggestions?? : )
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:51:41 PM

tried, didn't work, still can't access any of the log-in names...i'm just
going to take it in to get it looked at. thanks for the advice!
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:58:03 AM

How was this resolved? I have a similar problem except that I can not log on
at all.

!