Local Area Connection Status Icon

When I look at the Icon, on the 'received' side of the activity box I see
that there is a picture of a little padlock. Sometimes the padlock appears
and sometimes it does not. When it appears, I can't acces other computers on
my LAN. When it isnt there everything works fine. Why does it appear?

I believe that padlock shows up when you're using the Windows XP
firewall. Make sure that you've configured it properly to allow
LAN access. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall.
Click on the Exceptions tab and make sure there's a check mark in
the box next to File and Printer Sharing and that the scope
contains your local subnet.

If you're using another firewall program, check to see that it's
not the source of your problems. Keep in mind that if you're
using a third party firewall you should turn off the Windows
firewall. You only need to have one firewall running.

--
Nepatsfan
"Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I look at the Icon, on the 'received' side of the activity
> box I see
> that there is a picture of a little padlock. Sometimes the
> padlock appears
> and sometimes it does not. When it appears, I can't acces
> other computers on
> my LAN. When it isnt there everything works fine. Why does it
> appear?

"Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I look at the Icon, on the 'received' side of the activity box I see
> that there is a picture of a little padlock. Sometimes the padlock
> appears
> and sometimes it does not. When it appears, I can't acces other computers
> on
> my LAN. When it isnt there everything works fine. Why does it appear?

the little padlock you talk of is representing your windows firewall, why it
would be turning itself on and off is a different question though, and that
perhaps should be your main issue just now

is there some spyware type software on there turning the firewall on and off
??? is it something else ??? do you have another firewall installed ie zone
alarm ??

are you on windows XP ?? home or pro ?? sp1 or 2 ??

lots of "ifs and buts" sorry theres no real answer but it might help you in
the right direction

I'm using XP Pro, SP-2 with a NetGear WGR614 wireless router. I have Norton
Systemworks up and running. (I also have a 3COM Broadband modem). I don't
have Zone Alarm or any other firewalls, but do run Spybot-Search and Destroy
on occasion.

Does this help?

Thanks a bunch.......

"sandman112" wrote:

> "Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I look at the Icon, on the 'received' side of the activity box I see
> > that there is a picture of a little padlock. Sometimes the padlock
> > appears
> > and sometimes it does not. When it appears, I can't acces other computers
> > on
> > my LAN. When it isnt there everything works fine. Why does it appear?
>
> the little padlock you talk of is representing your windows firewall, why it
> would be turning itself on and off is a different question though, and that
> perhaps should be your main issue just now
>
> is there some spyware type software on there turning the firewall on and off
> ??? is it something else ??? do you have another firewall installed ie zone
> alarm ??
>
> are you on windows XP ?? home or pro ?? sp1 or 2 ??
>
> lots of "ifs and buts" sorry theres no real answer but it might help you in
> the right direction

maybe do a cmd prompt
C:\>netstat -o
and maybe get a lucky comparison to see what is being blocked or not
blocked

netstat -o shows the owner ID which you can use to ID which connections
belongs to what program in task manager processes.