exterior router and rj45 cables

Hope this is not too farfetched. I am placing my router outdoors in a
water tite container. I have to run a cat5 cable back to my modem and
another back to a hub for my wired network in the house. Is it
possible to just run 1 cat5 cable and split it with 2 rj45 jacks, 1
for the modem and 1 for the hub rather than running 2 seperate cables?
The cable will have to be at least 50' long and it is rather difficult
to fish it to the location I need, so if I could just fish 1 cable it
would make things much simpler

pdj@uniserve.com (Paul James) wrote in

> Is it
> possible to just run 1 cat5 cable and split it with 2 rj45 jacks, 1
> for the modem and 1 for the hub rather than running 2 seperate cables?

Yes this is possible but not recommended.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

In article <94cef63c.0404042138.7b51798d@posting.google.com>,
Paul James <pdj@uniserve.com> wrote:
:Hope this is not too farfetched. I am placing my router outdoors in a
:water tite container. I have to run a cat5 cable back to my modem and
:another back to a hub for my wired network in the house. Is it
:possible to just run 1 cat5 cable and split it with 2 rj45 jacks, 1
:for the modem and 1 for the hub rather than running 2 seperate cables?

That seems a rather unusual requirement, so I'd like to check terminology.
When you say 'router', do you mean a plain ethernet router? Or do you
mean a "wireless router" (that is, an access-point with NAT, possibly
firewall features, and so on?) In a typical "wireless router" setup,
it seems to me there would -usually- only be one connection, in
one of the LAN ports leading back to the house, with the WAN port
left empty.

Depending on the equipment in use and exact requirements, VLANs might
be a better way of handling this -- multiple logical data streams
on one wire.

You -can- split a CAT5 cable, but you would be pretty much restricting
yourself to running half-duplex, and you are going to run into problems
with noise, as your signal and carrier lines for the one connection
are going to be directly beside the signal/carrier lines for the other
connection, rather than spaced apart as would be the case in normal
CAT5. You'd be driving yourself down to a bit worse than CAT3 equivilent.

:The cable will have to be at least 50' long and it is rather difficult
:to fish it to the location I need, so if I could just fish 1 cable it
:would make things much simpler

I can't help but think you are using the wrong equipment for the job.
It sounds to me like you should be using a device designed for outdoor
use, with a length of RG<whatever-number-it-is> coax leading to the
transmitor.

How is your router going to get its power, by the way? The setup you
describe sounds iike a recipie for having problems with different
grounding levels.

--
Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

Ed

Quick answer: Tie and tape a strong twine or nylon cord to the leading
end of the first cable. Then once the first cable is fished, just
attatch a second cable to cord and pull thru, or in reverse if desired.

Have had to do this to get a USB cable and wire thru an underfloor
conduit that was running out of space. Left an additional cord in so
that in future a telephone line might also be bach hauled thru.

Fish once Pull multi-times!

Happy Fishing
Ed

Paul James wrote:

> Hope this is not too farfetched. I am placing my router outdoors in a
> water tite container. I have to run a cat5 cable back to my modem and
> another back to a hub for my wired network in the house. Is it
> possible to just run 1 cat5 cable and split it with 2 rj45 jacks, 1
> for the modem and 1 for the hub rather than running 2 seperate cables?
> The cable will have to be at least 50' long and it is rather difficult
> to fish it to the location I need, so if I could just fish 1 cable it
> would make things much simpler

Its easy Paul. Ethernet uses 2 pair to trans. and rec. Traditionally
wh/orange, orange, wh/green green(1,2,3 and 6) use wh/blue, blue and
wh/brown, brown as the second pair.