Newbie: Donkey Kong Question

Hi there,

As the subject says I am a newbie and have a couple quick questions on
a DK machine I just bought yesterday..

I am interested in going for the Double DK.

Currently, the DK I purchased is equipped w/ the 4 board setup.

Will I be able to obtain the DK Jr. boardset that has been setup as
Double DK and put it right in. Are there any anticipated parts I am
going to need? Difficulty level of doing this?

Also, would I be able to plug n' play a DK 3 board into the DK that I
currently own. And again are there any anticipated parts I may need
and the difficulty level of doing something like this.

Thanks for the anticipated help,

Lance

Lance,
To have a DDK (Double Donkey Kong) you need a DK Jr board and have it
converted. I think the cost is around $160 for the conversion from Mike
Haaland. The DK Jr board will plug directly into the harness. The DK 3
is a different setup and you will not be able to run it with the
existing harness and power supply. I think you might need to have a
different PS for DK 3. Make sure your existing 4 board DK works fine in
your cabinet so you know you don't have any other problems when you get
the DDK board. Sell your other 4 board set on Ebay. The 4 board sets
are for the DK cocktail tables.

Now the big question. Everything above is for an upright DK cabinet. If
you have DK cocktail you will not be able to make it into a DDK because
a DK Jr board is longer in length and will not physically fit in the
cabinet.

Kyle Lindstrom

Lance R. wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As the subject says I am a newbie and have a couple quick questions on
> a DK machine I just bought yesterday..
>
> I am interested in going for the Double DK.
>
> Currently, the DK I purchased is equipped w/ the 4 board setup.
>
> Will I be able to obtain the DK Jr. boardset that has been setup as
> Double DK and put it right in. Are there any anticipated parts I am
> going to need? Difficulty level of doing this?
>
> Also, would I be able to plug n' play a DK 3 board into the DK that I
> currently own. And again are there any anticipated parts I may need
> and the difficulty level of doing something like this.
>

> Thanks for the anticipated help,
>
> Lance

the Double Donkey Kong board will plug right in, as it's a modified DK Jr. and
it has all the harness connections you'll need. The DK3 board is another story
as one side of the board typically has the solder pads for the harness
connectors, but no headers installed. DK3 uses the edge connector style harness
which is totally different than what's in your cab.

Richard

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:45:47 -0700, Lance R. <lanceros925@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>As the subject says I am a newbie and have a couple quick questions on
>a DK machine I just bought yesterday..
>
>I am interested in going for the Double DK.
>
>Currently, the DK I purchased is equipped w/ the 4 board setup.
>
>Will I be able to obtain the DK Jr. boardset that has been setup as
>Double DK and put it right in. Are there any anticipated parts I am
>going to need? Difficulty level of doing this?
>
>Also, would I be able to plug n' play a DK 3 board into the DK that I
>currently own. And again are there any anticipated parts I may need
>and the difficulty level of doing something like this.
>

>Thanks for the anticipated help,
>
>Lance

What everyone else said is correct. If you really want to play DK3 in it,
you will have to replace the harness with an edge connector type. If you
are going to go through that trouble, you might want to consider a JAMMA
multi-game board. I have one that plays DK, DK Jr, DK3 and Ms PacMan for
$275 shipped. These boards don't have the sound issues that the Double DK
board does either. If you do want a double dk board, I have one for $250
shipped.