Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Replacement hard drive for laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Lenovo
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
August 14, 2012 10:24:55 PM

I have a 5400 rpm 750 GB hard drive in my laptop now and it drives me nuts with how slow it is! I am looking to replace it with a 7200 rpm hard drive. I have found these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004728Q12/ref=s9_simh...

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal...

Should these be ok? I have a Lenovo y470p. If you can find a better deal for a hard drive please feel free to mention it! Thanks.

More about : replacement hard drive laptop

a b D Laptop
August 14, 2012 10:29:40 PM

Same drive, $10 cheaper on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They're okay, if you're willing to invest a bit more into a smaller hard drive, you can get your hands on an SSD, I don't know if your computer has the drivers to support, but the leap in performance will be MUCH more noticeable.

Good luck,
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 10:41:48 PM

hpfreak said:
Same drive, $10 cheaper on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They're okay, if you're willing to invest a bit more into a smaller hard drive, you can get your hands on an SSD, I don't know if your computer has the drivers to support, but the leap in performance will be MUCH more noticeable.

Good luck,



I would, but I can't have less than the 320 GB. This laptop is used for gaming some and it would eat an SSD up in no time.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2012 10:44:19 PM

rolltide101x said:
I would, but I can't have less than the 320 GB. This laptop is used for gaming some and it would eat an SSD up in no time.


Of course.. Well then, how does the Newegg 320 GB hard drive sound?


Thanks,
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 10:50:18 PM

Thank you for that link btw. I am going to buy it soon, Its just annoying to have a quad core i7 and 8 GB of ram and be held back by a slow HDD! lol
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 11:06:22 PM

I have never purchased anything from Newegg before (95% of my online shopping is done on Amazon) so I was wondering how the shipping price works? I do not like putting in all my info in before I see how much the shipping is lol
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 11:20:20 PM

Wondering if any of the Seagate hybrid drives might give a decent boost, though they are a bit pricier than a standard drive.
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 3:09:45 AM

Does anyone know?
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 2:41:52 PM

there is no problem; it's thinner that's all. You should watch the length and the width so the screws match. Those measurements are a fit so no problem.
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 4:12:25 PM

Why not look at a hybrid drive? I recently bought a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and couldn't be happier. Very similar performance to an SSD but the space of normal HDD.

edit: The older drive with 500gb and 4gb ssd is ~$80 vs the new drive that has 750gb +8gb ssd is ~$180 NIB+3year warranty or oem about ~$130.
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 4:12:26 PM

Thanks, I am not a hardware guy so I do not know these things for sure so I like to be better safe than sorry!
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 4:16:23 PM

Smaller will always fit. Keep in mind that there are some drives that are 12mm in size and obviously will not fit.
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 5:37:07 PM

Try seagate's momentus XT hybrids. Especially the new ones, iirc 16GB of flash NAND + 750GB of storage.
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 10:05:55 PM

ojas said:
Try seagate's momentus XT hybrids. Especially the new ones, iirc 16GB of flash NAND + 750GB of storage.

He already said it's too expensive for him + it's 8gb of nand not 16.
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
August 15, 2012 11:50:57 PM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops and sell laptops...

If you came in my shop and I had two identical laptops, one with a 5400 drive and one with a 7200 drive, YOU COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE...

Without a stopwatch...for things like games level loads...

The difference is unnoticeable...

Now get an SSD or a HYBRID and you will EASILY tell the difference in speed...

So dont bother with the 7200...

All the best Brett :) 

m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:20:07 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
He already said it's too expensive for him + it's 8gb of nand not 16.

Ah. Sorry, missed that.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 3:25:46 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own computer shops and sell laptops...

If you came in my shop and I had two identical laptops, one with a 5400 drive and one with a 7200 drive, YOU COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE...

Without a stopwatch...for things like games level loads...

The difference is unnoticeable...

Now get an SSD or a HYBRID and you will EASILY tell the difference in speed...

So dont bother with the 7200...

All the best Brett :) 



I have never really tried to play games on a 7200 RPM HDD but I do know program launches are much faster on a cold start with a 7200 RPM vs a 5400 RPM. Why would it not speed up game loads? Program launches are the main thing I was attempting to speed up though. lol
m
0
l
!