Accessing Apple wireless AP

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.2600 (More info?)

Hi all,

I've been trying to connect to an unencrypted wireless AP located
somewhere in my building. I can connect my Windows XP box to the
router but it never manages to retrieve an IP address. I know that the
router is an Apple product of some sort (as indicated by the MAC
address), and I'm guessing that it does not have DHCP running. Does
anyone know the default IP address of an Apple router, or have an idea
how I can sniff it?

Thanks

Nick

"Nick" <dontspammemofo@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to connect to an unencrypted wireless AP located
> somewhere in my building. I can connect my Windows XP box to the
> router but it never manages to retrieve an IP address. I know that the
> router is an Apple product of some sort (as indicated by the MAC
> address), and I'm guessing that it does not have DHCP running. Does
> anyone know the default IP address of an Apple router, or have an idea
> how I can sniff it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Firewall maybe? Out of curiosity, are you trying to log into the Internet?
OR just the network?

RAMCable
--
Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity. I am not so sure
about the former... -Albert Einstein

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.2600 (More info?)

Just trying to connect to the internet

"RAMCable" <RAMCable@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<9upcc.13458$EG2.7233@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Nick" <dontspammemofo@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been trying to connect to an unencrypted wireless AP located
> > somewhere in my building. I can connect my Windows XP box to the
> > router but it never manages to retrieve an IP address. I know that the
> > router is an Apple product of some sort (as indicated by the MAC
> > address), and I'm guessing that it does not have DHCP running. Does
> > anyone know the default IP address of an Apple router, or have an idea
> > how I can sniff it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nick
>
> Firewall maybe? Out of curiosity, are you trying to log into the Internet?
> OR just the network?
>
> RAMCable

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.2600 (More info?)

On 6 Apr 2004 08:09:55 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
dontspammemofo@yahoo.co.uk (Nick) wrote:

>"RAMCable" <RAMCable@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<9upcc.13458$EG2.7233@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
>> "Nick" <dontspammemofo@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I've been trying to connect to an unencrypted wireless AP located
>> > somewhere in my building. I can connect my Windows XP box to the
>> > router but it never manages to retrieve an IP address.

>> Firewall maybe? Out of curiosity, are you trying to log into the Internet?

>Just trying to connect to the internet

Maybe you should just ask the owner. If there's a reason why you can't do
that, then probably you're not legally entitled to access it ?

--
Mark McIntyre

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.2600 (More info?)

True, although many people do leave there APs open in order the other
people to use them. I'm actually waiting for my ADSL connection to be
connected, so meanwhile I'm "boring" someone elses. Besides, how am I
supposed to ask the owner if I have no idea where the AP is?

Nick wrote:

>> >Just trying to connect to the internet
>>
>> Maybe you should just ask the owner. If there's a reason why you can't do
>> that, then probably you're not legally entitled to access it ?
>
> True, although many people do leave there APs open in order the other
> people to use them. I'm actually waiting for my ADSL connection to be
> connected, so meanwhile I'm "boring" someone elses. Besides, how am I
> supposed to ask the owner if I have no idea where the AP is?

First, top post fixed. when in rome do as the romans do. This rome bottom
posts.

second it is possible that just because it is not running wep or wpa does
not mean that it is not secured. They could have very easily turned on a
mac address allow list. If your mac isn't on the list you ain't getting on.

third, if you have a laptop you can use it as a signal meter and triangulate
the location. example (kind of) follows, you may want to put this into
notepad.

50%
/ | \
/ | \
/ | \
/ 90% \
/ | \
X------|------X
\ | /
\ 90% /
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
50%

Now, this is all well in good in theory, but you do have to keep in mind the
building materials used. Dry wall isn't as bad as brick, etc...

This is how i found two AP's in my area on varying floors, to get the floor
you just go up a floor or two and down a floor or two to get the readings
and then you have your z axis.