Philips LCD Monitor Detects Your Presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Nice idea, but I want a "disable" button for this feature. I own a 23" LCD and sometimes I'm watching videos from my bed and I wouldn't want to the thing to dim when I´m far from it. Nevertheless I like the concept.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Questions that pop into my head:

Any info on the difference in power usage between the sleeping monitor and the monitoring sensor? How long would a typical user need to own the monitor before the sensor technology would pay for itself? Would it not be better just to get in the habit of turning the monitor off whenever you get up and and turning it on when you sit down?

Of course, I can see how such a sensor might be useful in the corporate environment. How often are business users (or educational lab users) away from their workstations, or near their desks but not actually in front of their workstations using them? In this case, I can see how having such technology would help the green image of a business. (In the same way having motion sensor lighting makes sense versus always-on lighting).

sykes12

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This is great for fat,lazy americans who can't make the effort to press a button to turn it off. What's next, a monitor that detects when you're horny and starts showing prOn?

Instead of bullshitting customers with such gimmicks how about figuring out how to make S-IPS panels as cheap as TN.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Eh...i just push the button when i leave for extended periods of time. If its not anymore expensive i wouldn't really care getting it or not.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]Eh...i just push the button when i leave for extended periods of time. If its not anymore expensive i wouldn't really care getting it or not.[/citation]

I never knew it was so easy.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Turning it on or off is so easy and takes up seconds 1-3 to come onto screen if your that lazy to move a mouse or a button on a monitor then for sure something is wrong with you.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I have mine go to sleep AND lock the computer after two minutes. If I'm away from my desk, I don't want someone coming in and messing with my files or computer. Yes, I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del then type my password, but the safety is worth it.
If Philips wanted to do something REALLY amazing, it would "know" when you've left, lock up, shut off the display, and not come back on until it "knows" you're back. In other words, it would eliminate that logging-in time. THAT would be worth a few extra bucks.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I really, really like this idea. Screen savers do NOT save energy, and I think stand-by mode also sucks some juice. It would be nice to turn off automatically without me messing around. In theory it would also turn on faster than for me to sit, grab mouse, move mouse and then figure out what I'm going to do. The motion of me sitting down would trigger it and probably save like 3 seconds a pop on wake-up (X 25 times a day). Just a small convienience, but also seems high tech and a smart device.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I don't think screen savers were meant to save energy. They were designed to save... your screen. The constant motion of colors and images on the screen keeps any one particular item from burning into the screen.

I didn't see it referenced in the article, so I must ask: the price point listed above refers to a screen of what size? Most users tend to think screen size is relatively important when looking at the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.