Need Konami Frogger PCB Picture

Can anyone send me a Close-up picture of the two PCB boards in a Konami
Frogger (not the Sega version). I've got one that has Frogger hand written
on the Heat sink. When I ran ROMIDENT on the only ROM present it said it
was Scramble and it looks exactly like my other Scramble boards.

Put another way, what type of board does Konami Frogger run on?
Scramble
Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X
Super Cobra
Jungler
(or unique hardware)

Thanks,
Timothy

I think mine's on a super cobra board. I would imagine it's just as
easy to put it on a scramble board though.

I've got an extra Super Cobra board. What is the difficulty level of
converting this to a frog. Is there a site with instructions? I've
never done something like that before, and would love to have a frogger
clone pcb.
Thanks.
jim

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

You can get a dedicated pcb, or run it on a scramble pcb with some hacking.
Scramble pcb's run a lot of games!..

"D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I think mine's on a super cobra board. I would imagine it's just as
> easy to put it on a scramble board though.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

which rom was left?? You only use 1 sound rom IIRC in the scramble
conversion..
"Timothy Shiels" <timothy_nospam@teleport.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone send me a Close-up picture of the two PCB boards in a Konami
> Frogger (not the Sega version). I've got one that has Frogger hand
written
> on the Heat sink. When I ran ROMIDENT on the only ROM present it said it
> was Scramble and it looks exactly like my other Scramble boards.
>
> Put another way, what type of board does Konami Frogger run on?
> Scramble
> Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X
> Super Cobra
> Jungler
> (or unique hardware)
>
> Thanks,
> Timothy

The remaining rom was 2C on the main PCB. Is this conversion a simple ROM
swap? I've heard many games will run on the Scramble hardware, but there
are differences IC-wise between groups of Konami / Stern PCBs. Is Scramble
the most compatible? I've got extras of most of these sets to try:

STERN / KONAMI PCB TYPES
1. The End (unique hardware, but ROMs will run in a Scramble board- with the
player's missile invisible)
2. Scramble
3. Super Cobra / Lost Tomb / Armored Car / Moon War (and Tazzmania / Dark
Planet and Tago's Anteater & Calipso??)- I think these are all rom
swapable - I've got a Lost Tomb running on a Super Cobra board. There are
two types of boards but I think the difference is just the connector between
the sound and main pcb(?)
4. Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X - These are rom swapable
5. Jungler / Locomotion?(I don't have one)
6. Frogger (unique Sega Hardware?)
7. After this, newer boards types such as Tutankham, Gyruss and Time Pilot
are all unique(?)

Did I miss any?

Timothy

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> which rom was left?? You only use 1 sound rom IIRC in the scramble
> conversion..

I don't think any of those are just simple ROM swaps...
there's always some bit of hacking that needs to be done.
Have you actually done Amidar<->Turtles? (I never tried it)
I remember trying ROM swaps on a Super Cobra board
years ago... some games would boot, but they were not playable.

Sound boards are interchangeable between similar games,
but it seems that the CPU boards all had minor diffs just to
be annoying.

Matt

"Timothy Shiels" <timothy_nospam@teleport.com> wrote in message news:d753p5$fhv$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> The remaining rom was 2C on the main PCB. Is this conversion a simple ROM
> swap? I've heard many games will run on the Scramble hardware, but there
> are differences IC-wise between groups of Konami / Stern PCBs. Is Scramble
> the most compatible? I've got extras of most of these sets to try:
>
> STERN / KONAMI PCB TYPES
> 1. The End (unique hardware, but ROMs will run in a Scramble board- with the
> player's missile invisible)
> 2. Scramble
> 3. Super Cobra / Lost Tomb / Armored Car / Moon War (and Tazzmania / Dark
> Planet and Tago's Anteater & Calipso??)- I think these are all rom
> swapable - I've got a Lost Tomb running on a Super Cobra board. There are
> two types of boards but I think the difference is just the connector between
> the sound and main pcb(?)
> 4. Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X - These are rom swapable
> 5. Jungler / Locomotion?(I don't have one)
> 6. Frogger (unique Sega Hardware?)
> 7. After this, newer boards types such as Tutankham, Gyruss and Time Pilot
> are all unique(?)
>
> Did I miss any?
>
> Timothy

You are right about the rom swaps, Matt - thanks for the clarification. I
just tried a rom swap from a Turtles to an Amidar and just got garbage on
the screen. At a glance, the CPU boards look identical except for a few
wire patches and an added resistor.

I have swapped sound boards within the Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X group
and the Lost Tomb / Armored Car / Moonwar group numerous times with good
results and have put the entire The End romset in a Scramble- works but no
player missile is displayed.

I looked more closely at my Lost Tomb - pretty interesting - it is
definitely hacked onto a Super Cobra board. A wire patch, an added
resistor, an added 72LS157N at 4F with 10 wire patches, and a socked Lost
Tomb color prom. I could document this further if anyone was interested.

Conversely my Frogger on a Scramble board has no patches. I'll burn a set
of roms see if I get anything. Could just be mislabeled...

Timothy

I believe my Lost Tomb board has the same mess on it, so I'm guessing
that may have been a factory job. Haven't seen any other LT boards
so I don't know if they came any different.

I think the Frogger on Scramble hardware requires bootleg code.

I've got a bootleg Scramble board I could hack on....
maybe it's time to work on a Sternomi multi-game!

Matt

"Timothy Shiels" <timothy_nospam@teleport.com> wrote in message news:d76fia$77v$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> You are right about the rom swaps, Matt - thanks for the clarification. I
> just tried a rom swap from a Turtles to an Amidar and just got garbage on
> the screen. At a glance, the CPU boards look identical except for a few
> wire patches and an added resistor.
>
> I have swapped sound boards within the Amidar / Turtles / Strategy-X group
> and the Lost Tomb / Armored Car / Moonwar group numerous times with good
> results and have put the entire The End romset in a Scramble- works but no
> player missile is displayed.
>
> I looked more closely at my Lost Tomb - pretty interesting - it is
> definitely hacked onto a Super Cobra board. A wire patch, an added
> resistor, an added 72LS157N at 4F with 10 wire patches, and a socked Lost
> Tomb color prom. I could document this further if anyone was interested.
>
> Conversely my Frogger on a Scramble board has no patches. I'll burn a set
> of roms see if I get anything. Could just be mislabeled...
>
> Timothy

Frogger has ram at 8000, my konami Frog has it at 4000. That's why the
frog in attract mode is in the wrong spot. It loads the position as a
16 bit number 8xxx, whoever did it thought it was an address and
erroniously converted it to 4xxx.

I have three Lost Tomb boardsets, two are factory, one is the hack on a
Super Cobra - handwritten rom labels and hand soldering - same modifications
that are in the factory ones though. I'd love a Sternomi multi-game, but
would be happy with some more high score saves for these older games :) Or
how about just Stern multi-control panel wiring harness for easy
switch-outs?

Timothy