Does ATI hate Activison??

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
I dont get this - im wondering if anybody else is having the same problem. I have a radeon 9700 Pro but ever since the dawn of time... well time concerning my pc anyway, i have been unable to play activision games. Thats right, ANY activision game. I cannot play call of duty, soldier of fortune, return to castle wolfenstein, doom 3, you name it, if its made by activision, my computer will crash whilst playing and usually kick out to the desktop. I am using windows 2000 professional. Every single activision game will play for about 5 to 10 minutes (this is very variable) and then i will be thrown out to my desktop and often the colour settings have gone beserk (very very bright - gamma up too high). Anybody have this problem, or a solution? I have spoken to ATI but the only thing they succeeded in doing was screwing up my pc enough to force me to reinstall windows.... Which i was not very happy about... I have done every single possible driver install and reinstall, update - everything. It is not due to background processes because i tried again when i reinstalled a fresh copy of win2k pro. The games will not even run in "game safe-mode", and it is not due to graphics card (ATI control panel) settings because i have fiddled with them all. I have agp8x and fastwrite off (but have tried changing these too).

Thank you!

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
thats really wierd, maybe your computer is possessed. Have u asked Activision abt this ? U using pirated or original versions ? Activision game(s) like Doom3 use OGL. Anything up with your OGL drivers ?

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Yea ati hate activision. None of their card run any activision game. Live with it.

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

hunter_ace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
ok i hate to say this but your wrong big time!!

i have everyone of those games running just fine on my system and its a ati 9800 pro. try the omega drivers but i use the ati driver myself no probs whatso ever. It maybe your 2000 i had problems with 2000 and freespace2 thats the only reason i run xp now.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hunter_ace on 09/26/04 11:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
HAHAHAHAHA you just missed the whole sarcasm things...ROFL

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My experience? I don't know about Activision, but EA games I've gotten have needed patches to work. Turns out EA had sloppy programmers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

hunter_ace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
hey crash ive had the same probs with ea to except bf1942 was fine. and no i didnt miss the sarcasim part. just noticeing you being a ass to someone trying to solve a prob! i could see that if it was fugger or someone but come on!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not an ass to the poster, just a bit peeved about sloppy companies writing their code on nVidia hardware and not testing it properly with ATI hardware before releasing it. EA did the same thing to nVidia a few years ago when they were writing their code primarily for VooDoo (glide) and slopped things together for D3D.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Cmon it was just a joke....

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I Blame M$....err IBM

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This isn't "the other".

cleeve

Illustrious
Running a 9700 PRO and no problems with any of those games.

You probably have a weak generic PSU or something...

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
hmmmm. i have a 450 watt psu, but it is probably generic - have never heard of the name before. What kind of wattage would i need, and if it is the psu, why is it only activision games that does this?

cleeve

Illustrious
First off, Why only activision games? Well, chances are it's just a co-incidence that the most demanding games on your system are activision games... like Doom3. Or maybe Activision encourages developers to use more advanced code and shaders in their games in general. Who knows?

450 watts sounds good, but if it's generic there's a good chance that the rails aren't putting out voltage to spec, or that the 12v rail has a weak amp output (I believe the 12v rail is what the videocard feeds off of).

The first thing to do is to check your heat and voltages. Download the program "Motherboard monitor" (it's free) and see how it's running.

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
So how does this equate - i dont know much about voltages but are these not a little off?

___________My Mobo

+3.3________3.3
+5__________4.92
+12_________11.92
-12_________-12.45
-5__________-5.22

Thanks

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
no, its ok. better the PSU more accurate the left hand column is. RHS column is theoritical, and not possible in under STP (std temp pressure). However if u cool ur comp down to -273C u ll might get those. :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
Voltages look good, what are your operating temperatures?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
What are the actual wattage ratings on your PSU?? It will be listed on the sticker on the side of the unit.

I would recommend a Antec PurePower or ThermalTake TruePower PSU somewhere in the neighbourhood of 420 watts or more.

I run a 9800 Pro with Windows 2000 Pro and can run all the games you are having problems with.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Read my post on page one for your solution:
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=412167#412167" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=412167#412167</A>

Ok, ok, just as little joke, just tryin to be funny.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>