DirectXnext WTF, errrrr... WGF!

So it's near completion, and it'll have SM4.0, but that won't be necessary for while.

Interesting to see they are updating 2D functionality too, perhaps supporting more global features.

Anywhoo I was just getting used to DX9.0C :lol:

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18683" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18683</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
yeah, with that name, we see another few companies suing M$ for monopolizing the market. Though its only a name change, but those kind of names attract lawyers and antitrust cases. Besides this time they have used "WINDOWS" directly unlike M$ IE, or M$ DX etc.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
So the APIs are two years ahead of the graphics cards that are two years ahead of the software...

Athlon 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, 768Mb Corsair XMS 5-2-2-2.5, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128Mb, Seagate SATA 80Gb, Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN

Well both ATI and nV have had cards out thet didn't have features exposed until the next release of DX, so this would actually be 'unusual' for it to be out before the hardware. However yes really the software has lagged a bit. Once could say FartCry was out around the same time as DX9.0C, the GF6800 and X800 series (although alot of the features in patch 1.2 for FartCry could've worked on R9800 just like the X800).

However look at Matrox's displacement mapping, just like so many things, it came out long before support, and now the method has been included as a FUNCTION of other parts of the VPU/GPU.

No matter what everything drives each other, and you need all three together to expose features, so any single aspect delaying hurts us all.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Why Not?

I've called it fart cry ever since an investigation into nV's application detection optimisations with it. I like the name, and because of all it's issues it seems appropriate.

eden

Champion
Windows Graphic Foundation, I don't like that name at all if it's the commercial one. X, no matter how much we've grown tired of its use, is a seller in names. DirectXNext would be a great name, while WGF feels very much bland.
Anyone else not seeing the "gamer power" feel in that new name?

--
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revised, faster updated than ever before.</A></b></font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yeah I agree it sucks. DXNext sucks too though... because then what do you do after that? I see nothing wrong with DXX or DX10, or maybe a whole new naming system BESIDES WGF...

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe it should be WTF instead, but at least the W will give ATI a new option for naming their next cards: W800XTPEUltraProExtravaganza!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Master Historian? Give me a break where do they come up with these things!

Alright Crash, so when I bow do I kiss your feet or not? Do I call you your excellency, or highness, or majesty? And who do I give my 40 shillings a month tax to?

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

How about InDirectZ?

Or maybe they just spun a roulette wheel.

Big money no Whammies! ....... W ..... G..... Extra SPin... F! I'd like to solve the Puzzle Monty and then trade it for what's in the BOX!! :eek:

I guess M$ forgot it's number one rule in business, brand name development and exploitation.

Well anything to give OpenGL a chance is ok with me, but I don't think this is enough. Hopefully they'll do something to screw with the development community, now that would get things rolling! :cool:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
WGF sounds like some low-budget wrestling league or a weapon from Doom. How about DirectX Reloaded or Return to Castle DirectX or DirectX Quest 4... Crash DirectXicoot... maybe they can switch from the conventional nomenclature to DirectX A, DirectX B, DirectX A.0b, something like that.

Athlon 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, 768Mb Corsair XMS 5-2-2-2.5, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128Mb, Seagate SATA 80Gb, Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
on the red corner we have, the biiig mighty dollar. On the blue corner we have pusssy little public.

Go !

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Maybe it should be WTF instead
ROFL

*comes in to make spam post and contributes nothign as usual*

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
lol !

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Microsoft gives official stance on next gen DirectX

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18761" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18761</A>

eden

Champion
It makes me wonder though. If the specs will not be released any soon, then maybe for the first time yet in years, we will have a stagnant no new DirectX revision year, allowing a buffer time for companies to finally get DX9 titles out and still no "DX10" out. At least we could catch up a bit. Frankly I'm tired of the early releases that amount to hardware that actually won't play the DX9 stuff THAT well. And it wastes the die's space and makes it consume more heat, and we pay for that to get some feature available in the next 2 years. :eek:

--
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revised, faster updated than ever before.</A></b></font color=red>

eden

Champion
You can make your presence even more meaningful by performing random unorthodox sexual acts to the fellow pesants here.

--